Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new XD-45 to the range last Wednesday. All I had on hand was some 230gr copper plated reloads that are about 15 or so years old (measurements show the COL is not where it should be).....the XD did not like them at all. Out of 65 rounds, I had about 10 failures to go into battery.....on the way home, I picked up 3 boxes of 230gr FMJ factory loads. Took the XD back to the range this morning.....150 rnds, and no problems at all. So, my impression at this point is: this is one sweet shooting handgun....I really like it. Gonna order some Speer Gold Dots, and if they cycles through like they should, then the XD-45 is replacing my P226 in 9mm as my home go-to gun.....btw: my BIL purchased a one of the XD's also, and he loves the way it shoots.....:D

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Gold Dots work perfectly in mine, shot some last night to verify feed. So far I've put those, some Blazers, some reloads and some WWB through and have yet to have one issue. The only problem I have with it is the price of ammo, it's too danged expensive to go shoot every day like I'd like to. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have 500 rounds of Winchester White Box, 300 Blazer Brass, 25 rounds of Remington JHP, 100 of 230 gr. Gold Dot, 20 Hornaday 230 gr +P JHP, and misc loose ammo I found in the bottom of my safe.

All ran through my XD45C no trouble.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Took my new XD-45 to the range last Wednesday. All I had on hand was some 230gr copper plated reloads that are about 15 or so years old (measurements show the COL is not where it should be).....the XD did not like them at all. Out of 65 rounds, I had about 10 failures to go into battery.....on the way home, I picked up 3 boxes of 230gr FMJ factory loads. Took the XD back to the range this morning.....150 rnds, and no problems at all. So, my impression at this point is: this is one sweet shooting handgun....I really like it. Gonna order some Speer Gold Dots, and if they cycles through like they should, then the XD-45 is replacing my P226 in 9mm as my home go-to gun.....btw: my BIL purchased a one of the XD's also, and he loves the way it shoots.....:D
I have only shot factory ammo in my XD45, but never had a single failure of any kind. I have shot both Speer gold dots and Rem Golden Sabers and lots of various FMJ of differing brands.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sounds like the COL is too long if you have a reloading press just seat them to the proper COL.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have a 1000 rounds through mine and no problems yet. Sweet unit.
I've got about the same round count through mine WWB, Blazer Brass, various reloads, PMC hollow points, and Magtech +p hollow points, has yet to hiccup!!! Not one regret with my XD!!! Well maybe one......not shooting it more!!!!!;) BTW welcome to the forum and congrats on the XD purchase!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I compared the old reloads to some new factory fmj's, with my digital calipers. The COL of the fmj was 1.237. The reloads were 1.240. I really don't think that .003 is going to make that big of a difference. I also checked diameter of both at 3 locations, and they were the same. I also ran some of the reloads through my 1911, with no problems.

I'm going to make up some test loads using lead roundnose 230gr, and see how they shoot this weekend.

BTW, I put some Speer Gold Dots (230gr) through the XD, and they shot really well....am very please with them....turned around and ordered 500 rnds. The more I shoot this XD, the better I like it....might even think about the XD-9 to go along with my P226.....:)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I compared the old reloads to some new factory fmj's, with my digital calipers. The COL of the fmj was 1.237. The reloads were 1.240. I really don't think that .003 is going to make that big of a difference. I also checked diameter of both at 3 locations, and they were the same. I also ran some of the reloads through my 1911, with no problems.

I'm going to make up some test loads using lead roundnose 230gr, and see how they shoot this weekend.

BTW, I put some Speer Gold Dots (230gr) through the XD, and they shot really well....am very please with them....turned around and ordered 500 rnds. The more I shoot this XD, the better I like it....might even think about the XD-9 to go along with my P226.....:)
That depends on bullet type the COL can run anywhere from 1.14 to 1.230 depending on bullet type. Check this reloading chart but I don't think I have ever loaded anything longer than 1.225.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

·
Registered
329 Posts
1600 rounds of various factory ammo and not a hitch. i don't have the space or time to reload so no reloads. thinking about making both though with the cost of ammo though. welcome to the forum and congrats on the xd, wait till the gun loosens up a bit and the trigger smooths out and this will be your pride and joy. around the 5-600 round count

1 - 11 of 11 Posts