Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back cover of the Feb. '05 American Rifleman shows an XD-45 GAP in the service model length. Previously, I had only seen it in the Tactical length. The advertisement appears to be a joint effort between Springfield and Winchester. As somewhere stated earlier on the forum, there is a claim that "...the shorter overall cartridge length of the 45 GAP allows it to be chambered in the exact same Springfield Armory XD frame used for 9mm and 40 S&W pistols." Also, the ad claims the GAP has the exact same ballistics as the ACP.

So, for those who know about the GAP cartridge, I have a few questions:

1.) Even if the frame is the same, would just a conversion barrel allow for an XD-40 or XD-357 to fire the .45 GAP?

2.) Do you think the .45 GAP will surpass the .45 ACP in popularity?

3.) If not, why not?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would think that Barsto, among others, would manufacture a conversion barrel for the 45 GAP model. As far as popularity goes, I think 45 ACP will remain the favorite. There are alot of diehard 1911 fans out there who just can't bring themselves to part with tradition. As for me... I'm glad that the grip dimension will be the same as the other XDs. Why change a comfortable and familiar platform. But I guess that what the 45 ACP fans say, too. :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
1. I dont think that it would be just a conversion barrel, just like you cant go bigger from the xd-9 because of the hole in the slide.
2.The 45ACP has such a die-hard following that even if the GAP had the ballistics of a .308 the ACPers would still claim it to be inferior.
The .45GAP wasnt designed to compete with the ACP, its just supposed to allow you a larger diameter projectile in a 9mm/40s&w size frame.
From what Ive read the .45GAP matches the ACP in performance with less powder, and shorter length. Im all for inovations, and dont see what everyones problem is with the GAP.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't have anything against the GAP either. I would love to have a small frame .45. My biggest problem is the same reason I don't own a 10mm or .357SIG, cost of ammo. They don't make WWB in 10mm that I can find and .357SIG is close to twice the cost of .40S&W, even more expensive than .45ACP. That's what I am afraid will happen with the GAP unless it gains in popularity. If you can buy .45GAP for the same as .45ACP I'm all for it.

I'm really chompin' at the bit for a Kahr P45 or a XD SC in .45GAP (I know the Service and Tactical will be first).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, that's no fair. I just checked the back cover of my Feb '05 American Rifleman Magazine, plus several pages in from the back and I can't find the advertisement for the XD GAP. Who would have thought there'd be more than one version of the magazine?

I have to question, Suppo, just to verify I'm looking at the right one. This is the edition with Beretta's new Single-Action on the cover?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kc5vze said:
Hey, that's no fair. I just checked the back cover of my Feb '05 American Rifleman Magazine, plus several pages in from the back and I can't find the advertisement for the XD GAP. Who would have thought there'd be more than one version of the magazine?

I have to question, Suppo, just to verify I'm looking at the right one. This is the edition with Beretta's new Single-Action on the cover?
kc5vze,

Yes, it's the same magazine. This is obviously an ad that is placed over the standard cover. When you flip the ad (what at first appears to be the cover page), you see another American Rifleman Feb. 2005 cover with the cowboy style gun/wanted poster with man's silhouette. So, the Springfield/Winchester ad is the first two and last two pages of the magazine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can't convert the 40 cal to a 45 cal because the breechface is too small. However you can use the same frame with the 45GAP as you do for the 9mm and the 40 cal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
article inG&A's handguns mag compared glock in gap and acp. states gap is 1/8th in. shorter with more powder and greater pressurelevels. test fired into gelatin ,the gap went farther or deeper but broke apart or fragmented more. said the gap was like a 45acp+p.

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Makes me wonder who is making the slides for them. Seems as though I remember the Croatian plant was having a hard time keeping up with the other calibers!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The first 45GAP loads that were available were loaded to what would be considered +p velocities for the 45acp. They have slowed them down somewhat from the earlier loads but they still operate a much higher pressure level the 45 acp.

The early loads were pretty snappy compared to a standard 45acp load at least in the Glock.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I meant that you would probably be able to get a 9mm or .40 conversion barrel for the new 45 GAP XD when it finally makes it to market. As everyone has stated, you couldn't put the GAP barrel with the 40 or 9mm slide assembly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my only concern with the .45GAP is what was mentioned before.. cost of ammo.. If it doesnt catch on a box of 50 could be very spendy...

·
Registered
388 Posts
icon said:
my only concern with the .45GAP is what was mentioned before.. cost of ammo.. If it doesnt catch on a box of 50 could be very spendy...
Economies of scale have their downsides. Popular calibers, while potentially inferior, are cheap because of demand. Unless you're reloading or absolutely NEED the biggest, baddest cartridge out there, I always recommend sticking with the old favourites. This becomes especially true in the world of high caliber rifles. I yearn for a rifle chambered in .338 Lapua, but at $3.00 per round, I'll begrudgingly stick with .300 Win Mag or even 7.62 NATO.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So could one buy a .45GAP slide & barrel and use the existing frame? I wonder though about the slide release--it creeps too far into the frame for the .40 as it is. I have to think they'd need to tweak it for the .45, or you'd lock the slide back on every shot...

I'd love a .45 GAP. I'd love a .45 ACP 1911. I'd love another gun period.

Stopped by my local shop and the owner showed me his new S&W "1911 Sc" (in the latest Combat Handguns magazine). Not real pretty but it's light, accurate and WOW, what a trigger. NICE carry piece.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd say that the Scandium Commander you saw has had a trigger job. The ones I've seen so far haven't had good triggers at all. :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Guys, I have two XD's a 9 and a 40 both Sub compacts. I also have a Kimber Custom II in 45acp I want to get a XD 45Gap 5" LE I guess some guys just can't see the need for the Gap but I too am for new inovations I love my Kimber 1911 but must admit the XD feels better in my hand just don't tell the guys on the 1911 page!! :twisted: Our they will kick me out of there forum. I guess what I am trying to say is I like them both the old and new and think we all have our favoraties. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts