Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a new pistol and I'm very impressed with the XD / XDM family of hand guns but I'm a long time .45 fan so the XD looks like the way I would go. However, I want to get one that could be used for concealed carry someday but the compact model is way too small for my hands so I'm thinking of the 4" XD .45.....

Does anyone CC an XD 45 on a regular basis? If so, what size and what is your set up?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Yep. I'm with you on caliber choice, and I also like the full grip. Mine's in a Crossbreed Supertuck canted all the way forward and worn around 4:00. It's plenty comfortable and secure, and the slightly large gun really doesn't print too badly if I dress appropriately.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Service in a Supertuck at almost 6 o'clock with max cant. I have to because I'm about 5'5 tall and I think the grip is a little too long. Been thinking about a Springer grip chop but have nothing else to cc so I haven't gotten around to it.

But, since it's colder now it's easy to cover up. Without a sweater, etc. I just have to be careful how I bend.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Been carrying the XD 45 Service Compact for one week...no issues. Best of luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
XD-45 Service 4" in a IWB Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:00/3:30, full forward cant. I'm a big boy @ 6'2"/250lb and is doesn't print on me wearing a hoodie or any bomber/letter jacket. I usually wear loose clothing/shirts, and have minimal issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
.45 service xd here too. crossbreed supertuck. Im a lefty and carry at 21:00 and it doesnt print at all even with just a t shirt. I highly reccomend both this sidearm and ccw holster. My parents are big lib democrats and when I go up to their house I ccw every time and they never know. My own wife and kid know I ccw everywhere and they cant tell its there unless they hug me around the waist on the LHS. Im not a huge guy either. 6'1" 225 lbs.

buy the service model. ccw without fear. enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
I would get the compact, if the grip is to small just put in the 13 round mag with the sleve....

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Diddos on the CrossBreed SuperTuck. I carry a full-size XD-9 (upgrading to the XD .45 Tactical as soon as my order comes in) and my wife can't tell either when I carry. Besides, it's the most comfortable IWB holsder I've ever tried. Any XD and the SuperTuck is a winning combination.

·
Registered
329 Posts
is going with a full size grip or a full mag with extension, which makes a full size grip aught to go with the tactical version. the barrel is not what prints it is the grip most times and since you are gonna go full grip why not get the extra barrel length adn sight radius. you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would get the compact, if the grip is to small just put in the 13 round mag with the sleve....
I've been toying with that idea as well. I used to have a Glock 23 that I loved but I had a little extension on the mag so it was just long enough for my pinky...... the XD compact has the same issue but I've never played with one with the 13 round mag in it..... I'll have to check it out but so far the 4" version is leading.....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I CC my XD45 Service daily. Either, in a Galco Skyops if I feel like being really sneaky or OWB under a jacket in winter with a SERPA. I am 6-3 and 205lbs and my XD will disappear under a t-shirt in the Galco when I carry at the 3:30 or 4:00.

I have a Milt Sparks VM2 on the way. It should be done in the next few weeks as I ordered it back in July. I am hoping the wait will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
With the right holster it doesn't make a huge difference, unless you're a petite woman. In most scenarios, if you won't print with the compact you won't print with a full-size. You're talking about a difference of 1". I owned the 9mm SC before moving up to the 9mm Service, and couldn't tell the difference. I carry in a CrossBreed Super Tuck, and my wife can't tell when I'm carrying. We spent several hours at the zoo in Minneapolis this summer with our little girl on a breezy day and she never knew. Though we both grew up in the San Fernando Valley, we still feel uncomfortable going into the city. She made a comment to me along the lines of "I would feel a little more comfortable if you had your gun on you," and when I said "Don't worry, I do," she was quite suprised.

The most effective way to prefent printing or accidental exposure requires proper selection of clothing and holster. Unless you've got a small frame and won't be able to adequately conceal that extra inch of grip, go with the full-size.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The most effective way to prevent printing or accidental exposure requires proper selection of clothing and holster and a good belt.

best comment right there ^^

45 4" holster, depending were I am going.

6'2" 200lbs and you can't tell, unless you hug me, and if I dont know you and you hug me, you are going to have a bad day :mrgreen::mrgreen:

good luck to you

Jose

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I cc and oc my xd45 service all the time. I have a don hume iwb holster that fits nice. But I also have a Blackhawk paddle holster for my oc desires. A jacket or a loose fitting shirt is all I need to cover it when going cc, usually at 1 o'clock. When I open carry with the Blackhawk it's straight at 3 o'clock and I don't try to cover it. I'm 6', 215#.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The most effective way to prevent printing or accidental exposure requires proper selection of clothing and holster and a good belt.

best comment right there ^^
Thanks for the compliment. :grin: Yes, I did forget to add a good belt, though I assume this is a given. Then again, I shouldn't assume such things, as I know a guy that will grab a junk section of 12ga solid strand electrical cable and use that when he can't find his belt. Then again, he doesn't carry.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts