Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I just picked up an XD45ACP today at the local gun show. I had a home invasion recently while I was at work. My 1911 compact was taken. This is my replacement. I have yet to put any rounds through it but am very excited to do so.

My question is this: Is there an extended thumb safety available for this weapon? The XD45 is a clear upgrade in every way over my old 1911. (Charles Daly Compact). The one thing I miss, though, is the extended thumb safety. It made engaging/disengaging the safety extremely easy. It became muscle memory as a part of firing the weapon. I would love to integrate a similar solution to my new handgun. I have been unable to find anything through google searches. Could anyone lend a hand in this?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have the XD45 4" service model - without thumb safety. Does all I want. Hope this is not going to be a letdown and you did your research first. The XD45 is a good pistol and it will serve you well. I guess you went for the thumb safety as you were coming from a 1911 style pistol. The thunb safety XD model is not a widely popular model (because of the extra safety). Not too many out there to attract much in the way of aftermarket accessories. Best of luck there.
Also, if you start looking at trigger kits to remove the take up and overtravel (more like a 1911 pull) make sure the kit will function with the thumb safety model, many will not.
To save you time the other things to know are: the XD45 does not usually feed LSWC bullets. The extracting case hits the shoulder of the LSWC of the top round and drives it down where it cannot recover in time to be picked up properly by the breach. Last, the 4" model does not have aftermarket recoil spring or guide rods, the 5" model has plenty different spring weights and guide rod sizes weights. This is not any way a problem unless you want to shoot a lot of competition games. Same for the LSWC which is really only for paper target punching.
To cover a few other new to XD questions: For a good SD pistol, using mostly commercial velocity ammo (no extremely light competition reloads) you did make have a nice choice. It can easily handle any +P load up to and including occasional 45Super ammo with the stock recoil system. Just clean it first to remove the sticky preservative oil and go shoot. NO lube in the striker area at all. Very sparing elsewhere. The mag release will be tough with a full mag and the slide closed. It is supposed to be that way to push the full double stack of ammo. Either lock back the slide first or bump up on the bottom of the mag while pressing the release. Hit the 'sticky" FAQs here and in the general forum as well as the accessory and maintenance forums sections.
Go put some lead down range. No real breakin needed with these.
Someone should be along that knows more about extended safety levers.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hmmmm? Have to wait for clarification by the OP. I thought he had already purchased the thumb safety model and was looking for a larger aftermarket safety lever to replace the stock lever. Or is it he wants to add a thumb safety to a non-thumb safety model?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses and the great info! Yes. I have the thumb safety model and am looking to see if a larger lever if available. I will check gallery of guns and see what I can find. My friend who turned me on to this model has the non thumb safety model. When I asked him about it he simply said "then don't use it". We will see. It is just what my hand wants to do before firing after years with the 1911. Thanks again!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, if you have the XD45 with thumb safety, you can acquire an extension (similar to the 1911 style) for your thumb safety. Once I find it online, I'll post a link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you could, that would be amazing. I consider myself pretty adept at finding things online and, outside of a couple of custom gunsmith jobs, have been unable to source the part. Thanks again for everyone's advice and help!

·
Registered
87 Posts
As a long time 1911 lover, I'm incredibly sorry to hear about the loss.

As a person who now carries an XD45c on a daily basis, welcome to a great community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate it. It was a cheapie. If I recall, it was made by the same company that puts out Rock Island's 1911s. After a couple of shadetree gunsmith fixes it was very reliable. I have definitely traded up but I still miss my 1911 and will definitely be replacing it with another. That said, I am very happy with my XD45 and am looking forward to putting some lead downrange very soon. I am just swiping my thumb past the low profile thumb safety and hope I can get something that sticks out just a bit more. Here's to hoping. Otherwise I'll just get used to it.

Edit - That link was one of the first I found when searching and actually introduced me to this site! My hopes are that there is a product out there that will give me pretty much exactly that without the custom fabrication pricetag. If not, I will definitely be looking for someone that can give me something very similar for a reasonable price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts