Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Nope and more nope,unless you want the 45 CRAP oh I mean GAP.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just think of a Gap as a ego cartridge and you got it .. all the mags claim its so much better than a acp .. and meets w hat a acp does... Well sure ya load to a higher pressure im sure anything thing will duh ....

Im almost thinking of a xd in this but think ill stick the real 45 round in my Hk and 1911's and even my ruger instead.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Atleast they didn't call it the .45 Glock like they were origianlly going to. heck what gun manufacturer beside Glock wants the name Glock on the side of their products?

I have mixed feelings on the whole .45 GAP. I would love to have the size of the .45 in something like the XD, but i question whether the adoption will happen. .40 S&W filled a nitch that was not really filled well before hand. The only nitch i see the .45 GAP filling is people who want a smaller framed gun with a big bullet for people with smaller hands. So does that make it a nitch within a nitch? what happens if it doesn't catch on?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Didn't Rifleman magazine (NRA) have an entire article on the XD 45 GAP this year? They actually fired the prototype pistol and declared it an enormous success.

Ron

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
synchro said:
Atleast they didn't call it the .45 Glock like they were origianlly going to. heck what gun manufacturer beside Glock wants the name Glock on the side of their products?

I have mixed feelings on the whole .45 GAP. I would love to have the size of the .45 in something like the XD, but i question whether the adoption will happen. .40 S&W filled a nitch that was not really filled well before hand. The only nitch i see the .45 GAP filling is people who want a smaller framed gun with a big bullet for people with smaller hands. So does that make it a nitch within a nitch? what happens if it doesn't catch on?
what about .357 sig

·
Registered
182 Posts
NExd said:
what about .357 sig
yes, what about it? it tries to compete in the same arena as the .40 S&W. but again what does it buy you? it splits the difference between a 9mm and a .40? do we need something in that market? I am going to guess from it's "rampant" popularity the answer is, no. what does it do that no other caliber being offereed does that would compel someone to buy a firearm that uses this caliber?

my fear with the .45 GAP is, is it going to be around in a few years? will I have the choice of ammo manufactuerer that I have in a 45 ACP, .40 S&W or 9mm. ( in know not immediately, i mean 4-5 years from now). it is a chicken and the egg discussion of course. the .40 was adopted as quickly as it was because it filled a nitch nicely. Will the .45 GAP may fill its nitch, but is that nitch big enough to be considered compelling or will it be like the .357 Sig?

Any time anyone wants to introduce a new product or think of a marketing idea the main questions they need to ask are "What do I or this product do that is unique?" "If it is not unique, how am i going to differentiate it from others in this same space?" to talk in sales dork speak "What is the value proposition?" besides the coolness factor of the .45 GAP, most of the articles have not gone into these questions in depth enough.

All of this being said, do i want to fire one when the range gets one in? you betcha. :-D

·
Registered
16 Posts
For now it looks like the 45 gap cartrige will be at least a limited success. the numbers look good on paper any ways. It will likley take off. But you wont be able to skip down to the evil empire(wally world) to get some extra shells. I see a lot of mail order ammo in the near future.ps. love my XD 40 Tactical od green. also my 1911. both have a honered place in my heart. XD is a great shooter, but the all the steel of a 1911 is also nice. I am glad to have both. It is like two great cars. both have their days to be driven!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
American Rifleman has never said anything bad about something they reviewed.... at least in my recent memory. I hate it for that reason.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't care about the name on the ammo, and I don't see how giving us MORE selection is a bad thing. 45GAP, 357SIG, 40 S&W, 17HMR, 204Ruger, 500 S&W, WSM, WSSM, whatever. Gunmakers are giving us more selection than ever, and doing their damndest to fill every perceived gap (pardon the pun) between calibers. The only side effect I can see from developing a wider selection is that some folks will buy them, and that leaves more of the other ammo for the rest of us. So what if Glock wants to put its name on something it created? Does everyone hate Ruger, S&W, Sig, Winchester, Marlin, etc. for doing the exact same thing?

Eventually their probably will be an XD45ACP, but since the Croatian folks decided to compete with Glock at their own game, it's going to have to wait. Has anyone ever heard that there will NEVER be an XD45ACP? I haven't. In the mean time, how many of us have actually handled and fired a 45GAP to know if it's junk or worthless? I see the same venom being spouted on all the gun boards I frequent, but the round is so new, I doubt 85% of those that hate it have any first hand experience with it. I don't own a Glock of any flavor, and I have no plans to get one, or the XD45GAP either, but I don't see the point in condemning it and Glock for making it.

<edited a typo>

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have heard from Springfield themselves that a .45ACP model will not happen because it will require a completly new design. That's not to say that the Croatian factory will never do that (I am betting that there will be a .45acp down the road)
The .45GAP model is supposed to be available in the spring of 2005 and should be a hit with the competition shooters. A .45 at higher velocity means the plates will go down faster. :) I was considering one just for IPSC myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Given the fondness with which we hold the 45 ACP, there was a question about Springfield having to retool to manufacture an XD in that caliber.

The 45 GAP is a shorter cartridge that would permit use of the same, or similar slides and similar magazines, and limit retooling. The question is whether they could make a 45 power cartridge with such a short shell. In fact, they have done a very nice engineering job that resulted in a cartridge that generates more pressure than the 45 ACP.

I've tried to limit the number of different caliber rounds I have to keep around. I probably would not go for the 45 GAP simply because I already have boxes of 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9 mm and 22 in my drawers (the desk, not my shorts :wink: ).

I even have some 38 SP and 357 given to me by a friend. That free ammo is going to cost me money. Now I HAVE to go buy a 642 or a SP101. Sigh.

Ron

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ron, just send the 38/357 to me. I'll save you some $.... ;)

Similarly, I have 50 rounds of 45ACP and no gun chambered for it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think it's funny that every time the subject comes up there is a littany of extremely negative responses. All that tells me is that there are a lot of people that forget that the 45 GAP was brought out not to compete with the 45 ACP, but to give 45 ACP power in a frame sized for .40 and 9mm.

Let's face it, the 45 ACP is a wonderful cartridge with a rich, proven history of performance. It is also a century old. That it took this long for someone to give us the same performance in a smaller package is a testament to the usefulness and utility of the venerable Colt cartridge, but an improvement on the premise was inevitable. It's called progress and it comes from the basic human drive to better yourself and your surroundings. Without it we would still be hunter/gatherers stuggling each day to feed ourselves while living out a short, brutish life of mere survival and reproduction.

Putting the 45 ACP in the XD would necessitate a larger frame and slide. Even though the actual changes would be small, in the aggregate this would effectively destroy the feel of the XD that we have all come to love. In reality, it would be an all-new gun that just happens to have XD stamped on the slide.

I like my XD. I like it because it feels good in the hand, it shoots where I want it to, and it's dead reliable. Giving me 45 ACP-comparable power in that same package is a great advantage. It gives me even more choices in a package that I already know I like. Having a screaming fit about it because of some ingrained traditionlist phobia makes no sense. It is a counter-productive waste of time.

If the GAP is to fail, it will be the market place that decides it. It looks like the market is already receiving it warmly for the reason I stated above - 45 ACP ballistics in a 9mm/.40 sized weapon.

Brad

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I do what I can, Ron... :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts