Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, it's been talked about for several years that the XD45 has trouble with semi-wadcutters. I bought one last week before reading all the complaints and, before I take it back, I'd like to hear from anyone who has an XD45 and is able to shoot SWC bullets from his gun successfully (in box stock condition). Is there anyone out there? :?:

By the way, my favorite bullet for .45 ACP reloading is the 200gr LSWC and it shoots great in all my 45s.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just realized this post may be in the wrong forum. Moderators, please feel free to relocate it. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
Theoretically, it is impossible to shoot SWC on the XD45 because of the extracting empty case rim impacts the shoulder of the SWC bullet in the mag during the extraction part of the cycle. In practice, some are getting away with it by tweaking loads and OAL.

The easy answer is get an XDm45, which fixes the problem with a protective protrusion on the center feed rail of the slide (AKA "the bump") and it seems to work very well.

CX

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know, I know, it's been talked about for several years that the XD45 has trouble with semi-wadcutters. I bought one last week before reading all the complaints and, before I take it back, I'd like to hear from anyone who has an XD45 and is able to shoot SWC bullets from his gun successfully (in box stock condition). Is there anyone out there? :?:

By the way, my favorite bullet for .45 ACP reloading is the 200gr LSWC and it shoots great in all my 45s.

I have been reloading for several years. I was able to get LSWC slugs cheap because no one wanted them from the dealer that I went to. I reloaded for about 2 years using them in my 45xd tac. I never knew that xds didn't shoot them until I stumbled upon this forum. They worked great for me. Simply reloaded them for plinking ammo, didn't do anything "special" to get them to work, they just did!!! Hope you have the same success.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good thread/question. I was also thinking about trying LSWC's in my XD45. Right now I load 230gn LRN and it chews'em up like nobody's business but just wanted to try something different (different powder, different bullet).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I never got them to work with different OAL's, etc. I gave up on SWC's long time ago since they have no real advantage anyway...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good thread/question. I was also thinking about trying LSWC's in my XD45. Right now I load 230gn LRN and it chews'em up like nobody's business but just wanted to try something different (different powder, different bullet).

Have been casting my own rounds for about a year now, the lead rounded flat nose works great in my 45tac also. Keep your bullet speed below about 800 fps, you won't get any "leading" at all. works for me:razz:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am a pretty exp reloader, especially w/ the 45acp. I could not get my XDTAC to feed the 200grLSWC 100% reliabley. It would run fine about 80% of the time, then a FTF. With each FTF, it dimples the back of the mag, causing the rate of FTF to go up. I tweeked OAL, powders, charges, just not worth the effort. SO it gets a steady diet of 200grLTC, scores almost as nice as the LSWC on paper. If yo ucna find a LSWC that has a sloping sjoulder, it will likely work 100%, but the shapr shouldered H&G or copies, nope.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shoot lead in my pistols??? OMG !!! I shoot JSWC in mine. (of course I just happened to have two one thousand round cases of them in my closet lol. Just kidding yall. I thought I had some lead, but no. Just the jacketed ones that shoot great in my .45 acp XDM. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree with carstensxd45. Though I was aware some had problems with the 200 gr LSWC, by the time I worked out the taper crimp of .470" and LOA of 1.275" for my 5" Tactical XD, the feeding problems seemed very few.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Never tried LSWC. Did not seem worth the potential damage to the magazines (by top round being driven into the back of the mag) even if it might seem to feed reliably. All depends on how the manufacturing tolerances either stack up or cancel each other. As a combat designed pistol, and my intended use for SD, I did not worry that it may not feed target bullets. It does reliably feed the large mouth HST and other similar JHP's which is where my concern would focus (some individual pistols do not function well with these).
The XDm design changes 'fixed' the LSWC feeding for target shooters.

·
Registered
71 Posts

In my XD45 I've tried Lyman 460 and a few other SWCs. I now have the Seaco 185 SWC and it feeds perfectly. Only cost $145.93 with handles! If any of the Lee molds had worked, I could have saved about $130.00!
SPOKE TOO SOON!!!!
I said the SWC feeds perfectly, but I didn't check to see if it ejected (with more ammo in the magazine!) IT DON'T!!!!
The fired round hits the shoulder on the LSWC in the magazine and the lip of the fired case, bending it, JAM!!!
Curses! Trading it for an XD45M!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reload 200 gr LSWC for my 45 XDc and never had a problem one. The key is to make sure you have enough of the shoulder of the bullet sticking out of the case to feed reliably. Other wise it is like trying to feed an empty case from the mag. Hope this helps Vet

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine will feed an empty case from the mag but not LSWC 100%.
I just gave up on them.
Everything else is fine!
Just don't sweat it.

nunnya

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my XD45 I've tried Lyman 460 and a few other SWCs. I now have the Seaco 185 SWC and it feeds perfectly. Only cost $145.93 with handles! If any of the Lee molds had worked, I could have saved about $130.00!
SPOKE TOO SOON!!!!
I said the SWC feeds perfectly, but I didn't check to see if it ejected (with more ammo in the magazine!) IT DON'T!!!!
The fired round hits the shoulder on the LSWC in the magazine and the lip of the fired case, bending it, JAM!!!
Curses! Trading it for an XD45M!!!
That's the problem I've heard so much about. I ended up selling my XD45 at a big loss and buying the XDm 45 and I'm not looking back. The XDm swallows anything (including SWCs) I feed it. :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
I never got them to work with different OAL's, etc. I gave up on SWC's long time ago since they have no real advantage anyway...
They have a tremendous advantage in one thing and one thing only, action shooting sports. The full sized cookie cutter holes can make the difference between a hit and a miss when shots are close to a line plus they are easy to see so the shooter knows if he got his hits or not. This can make the difference between winning and loosing a match. SWC's are of no real use outside of sport shooting.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
They have a tremendous advantage in one thing and one thing only, action shooting sports. The full sized cookie cutter holes can make the difference between a hit and a miss when shots are close to a line plus they are easy to see so the shooter knows if he got his hits or not. This can make the difference between winning and loosing a match. SWC's are of no real use outside of sport shooting.
Oh yes they do have use! They cut the same large holes in flesh as they do in paper!

don

1 - 18 of 18 Posts