Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Excellent thread. Very helpful, cordial and no condescending comments.
That's what we do around here.

Now, to the OP,.....
I had similar problems years ago with XD 45. My solution was to notch/machine the front of the magazine. Problem solved. @TSiWRX might remember that thread. It was fairly pic heavy, iirc.

SA should take care of you. There are some great suggestions here, too. Springs are generally easy to replace.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an XD-45 cal compact and It is now for the third time, back to Springfield. Candidly I find this handgun totally unreliable . For training it is great to practice type 3 failures. In real life -No!

First time about 2 years ago, I failure to extract or feed / a stovepipe. the repair was weak magazine springs. Second time in November 2021 at Frontsight , I experienced an extraction failure several consecutive times thru 3 magazine loads. Returned to me with no failure explication orvrepair made, in December, 6 weeks later , at the range after firing 30 rounds I experienced extraction failure shooting rounds 3and 4 on 3 seperate magazine loads. It is now back to springfield.

BTW I do not use reloads and my acp ammunition is quality handball and hollow point- used with my HK-45 and colt asp with no failures Also I estimate I have fired a totalof 1,000 rounds in training. I always throughly Clean and lubricate my handguns.

I asked Springfield to fix it to insure reliability and shoot enough rounds to report it is reliable. Maybe it is the extractor orthe spring.... at this point I really do not care. I need reliability and I no longer will consider it for life threatening defensive events.

I cannot even in good conscience, consider selling it with this documented failure since the warranty is non transferable and the buyer no longer has the warranty

My other option is to turn it over to my Sheriff and request it be destroyed.

If asked at this point about Springfield, no is my answer to anyone for an opinion.

I did numerous searches and did not find any reviews mentioning type 3 failures, only glowing evaluations from various competition shooters....
I I do not remember extraction problems with XD pistols I have come across or my full size XD 45s and XDs .45s. I have seen extraction problems with the XDs in .45 cal. where people have removed the green bushing and forgot to replace it when attempting trigger work. Before you have it destroyed give Springfield a last chance to fix it. If you are not satisfied with the results, I may be interested in purchasing the pistol. I am a FFL dealer, Match 1911 pistol builder (Army trained) and pistolsmith with over 30 years experience. I am curious to find the problem as I have not found that problem with a XD pistol before. I hate to second guess. I will have to see the pistol.
omegamanjohn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good post! I bought a used 45 XDs at a great price and upon getting it, I found out why. I was experiencing many of the problems described in the post. I have done a little internet research and by doing two things eliminating the issues. First, cleaned really well including removing firing pin and extractor and cutting the green bushing down about half the original size. Second, cut down the amount of gun lube used in cleaning. Apparently this gun does not like a lot of oil. I use a small amount gun grease in the slide rails After cleaning. That has worked for me. Easy and cheap to try. I even bought a replacement green busing in case that didn’t help. I could always return to stock. If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought the gun, only because of the headache fixing it. I do like to shoot it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Some people have more problems than the 6 oclock news . Ive had an XD45 Tactical for about 5 years the only failures were my fault from rounds I reloaded that were lite target loads and only a few did not function well. I've never had a failure with factory ammo ball or hollow points and I put well over 2,000 rounds thru it in Falling Plates , Boweling Pin events the only thing I replace on the firearm was the sights with XS Bigdot tritium front and rear it improved my accuracy and I have won with the XD 45 . I never liked the compact 45s to short and not as accurate in the Falling Plates or Boweling pins. I find it hard to belive Springfield Customer service failed to help you . Their customer service is second to none .I own more that 25 Springfield Armory Rifles and Pistols of all calibers and have never had one single problem . I retired from the U.S .Army and went into Law Enforcement and my Duty Weapon was the XD45 Full Size and I carried it for years . I still carry an XDM 9MM as a Nuiseance Wild Life Control Operator and I have used it to Dispatch several Feral Hogs and Coyotes Caught in traps . The Springfield Armory Firearms is my Go to firearm second none made for mans hands!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an XD-45 cal compact and It is now for the third time, back to Springfield. Candidly I find this handgun totally unreliable . For training it is great to practice type 3 failures. In real life -No!

First time about 2 years ago, I failure to extract or feed / a stovepipe. the repair was weak magazine springs. Second time in November 2021 at Frontsight , I experienced an extraction failure several consecutive times thru 3 magazine loads. Returned to me with no failure explication orvrepair made, in December, 6 weeks later , at the range after firing 30 rounds I experienced extraction failure shooting rounds 3and 4 on 3 seperate magazine loads. It is now back to springfield.

BTW I do not use reloads and my acp ammunition is quality handball and hollow point- used with my HK-45 and colt asp with no failures Also I estimate I have fired a totalof 1,000 rounds in training. I always throughly Clean and lubricate my handguns.

I asked Springfield to fix it to insure reliability and shoot enough rounds to report it is reliable. Maybe it is the extractor orthe spring.... at this point I really do not care. I need reliability and I no longer will consider it for life threatening defensive events.

I cannot even in good conscience, consider selling it with this documented failure since the warranty is non transferable and the buyer no longer has the warranty

If asked at this point about Springfield, no is my answer to anyone for an opinion.

I did numerous searches and did not find any reviews mentioning type 3 failures, only glowing evaluations from various competition shooters....
Interesting, I have had an xd-45 service for 15 or so years. 1000's of rounds of virtually any type of 45 cal ACP and ever had a failure to fire or eject. I consider it to be a reliable sidearm. Sprinfield will make things right., or ask them for a replacement.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
That's what we do around here.

Now, to the OP,.....
I had similar problems years ago with XD 45. My solution was to notch/machine the front of the magazine. Problem solved. @TSiWRX might remember that thread. It was fairly pic heavy, iirc.
^ I don't remember the original threads, but I remember seeing the one with yours, with the "smiles" cut-in........

^ That post and the one also by @fritzmeister , following it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had the ejection/ramp problem and replaced the ejector spring and solved it. The replacement spring I received was slightly longer than stock and did not include the plastic (spring) that came with the original. Before repair every round jammed ,,,,, after repair I was able to run through a magazine flawlessly. I didn't do any more shots but the improvement was impressive.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
....replaced the ejector spring and solved it. The replacement spring I received was slightly longer than stock and did not include the plastic (spring) that came with the original.
* items highlighted for-emphasis

@KYBuckeye / [all in thread], I'm unfamiliar with these components, the "plastic ejector spring"......are these specific to the XD-45?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts