Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XD-45 cal compact and It is now for the third time, back to Springfield. Candidly I find this handgun totally unreliable . For training it is great to practice type 3 failures. In real life -No!

First time about 2 years ago, I failure to extract or feed / a stovepipe. the repair was weak magazine springs. Second time in November 2021 at Frontsight , I experienced an extraction failure several consecutive times thru 3 magazine loads. Returned to me with no failure explication orvrepair made, in December, 6 weeks later , at the range after firing 30 rounds I experienced extraction failure shooting rounds 3and 4 on 3 seperate magazine loads. It is now back to springfield.

BTW I do not use reloads and my acp ammunition is quality handball and hollow point- used with my HK-45 and colt asp with no failures Also I estimate I have fired a totalof 1,000 rounds in training. I always throughly Clean and lubricate my handguns.

I asked Springfield to fix it to insure reliability and shoot enough rounds to report it is reliable. Maybe it is the extractor orthe spring.... at this point I really do not care. I need reliability and I no longer will consider it for life threatening defensive events.

I cannot even in good conscience, consider selling it with this documented failure since the warranty is non transferable and the buyer no longer has the warranty

My other option is to turn it over to my Sheriff and request it be destroyed.

If asked at this point about Springfield, no is my answer to anyone for an opinion.

I did numerous searches and did not find any reviews mentioning type 3 failures, only glowing evaluations from various competition shooters....

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
That is very frustrating, indeed. Unfortunately, glowing reports from others aside, the sad truth is that any singular mechanical object can itself be one that's plagued with problems, even if its hundreds or thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of line-mates all offer exceptional reliability. It's just the nature of mass-production: not guns, not computers, not cars - nothing that's made this way is immune.

I am certainly sorry that you won the reverse-lottery, in this respect. :cry:

I also understand your reluctance to sell - you're certainly a better man than many. (y)

So, I think where you stand now, one possibility would be to see if there's any way to escalate your complaint any higher with Springfield's C/S, specifically by citing the repeated attempts at rectifying the problem, which still continues. I've found that when shooters specifically cite training class, competition, or qualification failures, there tends to be a bit more attention given.

The other possibility would be to see if there is a local gunsmith who is willing to work with you to troubleshoot. The obviously less-than-desirable aspect of this route would be that you'd be out-of-pocket (and time, particularly if the troubleshooting efforts had to be repeated), but in your shoes, I would, after the gun is fixed, send a formal letter and the service receipts to Springfield, in an attempt to get at least some restitution.

But before we go that far, let's do/confirm two things, to start with -
  • Have you "plunk-tested" your factory ammo in sufficient quantities, in an effort to insure that this is not potentially a chamber or chamber/cartridge tolerance-stacking issue?
  • Have you inspected the ejector? I understand that you're observing failures of extraction, but at one point above, you mentioned a "stovepipe," which would be a case of failure-to-eject. Out of curiosity, have you ever used full-size/capacity magazines with your Compact?
  • And to be complete, you've made sure that the stoppages are not tracking back to the same magazine -i.e. you have each of your magazines uniquely marked- and that all magazines in which this problem has been observed have had their magazine spring replaced? ( As an aside, no feed-lip damage? And confirmed that a new magazine will also result in the same stoppages? )
Let's not settle -yet- for the option for this gun to be only a training gun for spontaneous, "in-situ" stoppage remediation (but you're absolutely right - it would be a great gun to use in that context, as modern defensive/service grade semi-autos only rarely present with these issues). Let's see if we can't get it back up to-par.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. candidly I have not attempted to check the items you highlighted. Currently it is at Springfield and I do plan to copy and paste my and your posts to send to them.

The only item I can evaluate is the ammo. Itis LA county sheriff grade ammunition. Unfortunately, I live in Taxifornia, great weather, 3rd world government in a corrupt nation state... Fortunately, I live in Ventura County with a great sheriff. The purchase price is significantly higher here than the great states in the United States.

I am unable to attend the shot shot this year, however i will have my close buddy stop by Springfield and let them know of my disappointment.

Again thanks for your prompt reply, Let me know if you come out this way.

GAP

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi @Silver Greek,

I see @TSiWRX has already given you his complete, concise, thoughtful, and experienced counsel. ;) Yes, just like in cars I suppose you can get a "lemon" gun. Even with my short experience this old noob has found your situation to be rare. All those "glowing reviews" have to be for a reason, right? :) My little XD9 has been an amazing pistol so soon I'm planning to buy another Springfield in the 1911 .45 variety. That is, as soon as I move away from the Southern Left Coast. Yes, I feel your "Taxifornia" pain, but not for long! :D

I basically wanted to welcome you to the forum with my traditional shy wave. 🙋‍♂️ Please let us know how your firearm behaves when you get it back from the factory.

Would you be willing to sell it to me cheap? I'll pick it up at your local FFL after I bail it out of gun jail. 😁

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your response and I am certainly willing to give Springfield the opportunity to correct the situation... . I carried the Colt 45 and the reliable 38 special wheel gun while in the Green Machine (USMC), just after we went from canvas biplanes to props ;-) seriously I flew Uh-1s and Ch-46s.... for a few years.
Wen I get it back from Springfield, I will fire about 300 rounds and see if they corrected the failures. If not, then we can talk about a sale, as long as you are aware of my concerns.

Have a great 2022!!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
^ I really hope they are able to fix it fully and properly! :)

That you're in CA definitely further complicates the calculus!

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
Frustrating, definitely.

I’m wondering if it was returned to you with no comment it is because they can’t replicate the failure when they test fire it; which, if they aren’t using the same ammo that you use (very likely)…which says this very well could be an ammo related issue (the single mag theory offered by @TSiWRX is also a very, very solid possibility).

I know you say the ammo is “sheriff grade”, but…that doesn’t necessarily mean much. I’ve had handguns that didn’t like top tier—I mean that literally, the ammo being Federal Gold Match—ammo; for some reason, likely the tolerance stacking issues mentioned earlier, that HK USP45 Compact would not run it reliably. Anything else? Not a problem. Every other .45 that I’ve owned (and that’s well into the dozens) ran it just fine…

So, when you get it back, try to run something different out of it…also eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What specific ammo are u using? ‘LA county Sheriff grade’ isn’t enough detail. Sounds like under powered ammo, to me, maybe 🤔.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi @Silver Greek,

And thank you for your service too! God bless.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
^ The other side of that coin, though, are the municipalities that pass out boxes of Speer Gold Dots to their officers to use in training.

Had a guy from one of the more loaded municipalities in IL in one of my training classes. My jaw dropped at how many cases of Gold Dots were in his trunk. :eek: I mean, they were "free," but he earned them!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I only have experience with three XD .45's. For my experience they are a bit shorter chambered than my Colt 1911s or M&P 2.0 .45 acp.

By shorter chambered I mean bullets/ammo that chamber fine in three Colts and the M&P will not chamber completely in the XD pistols. Have so seat the bullets a little deeper.

My personal XD .45 functions great (and shoots decent groups, too) with CCI 230 grain FMJ. That's the only factory ammo I've shot through mine.

Some brands/bullet types cause chambering issues in some guns. I've seen people complain certain high quality self defense 9MM ammo won't chamber in their CZ, or their 1911, but guns can be different, one to the next as they are made to set of specs from parts made to a set of specs. Specs means a range of qualities/sizes/shapes/diameters.

Even then, sometimes a piece will leave the factory that just doesn't work. Sometimes parts get left out. Guy at the CZ Forum bought a new CZ a few weeks back that was missing the pin that holds the hammer pin in the frame. So, of course, the hammer pin kept moving out of the frame every few rounds.

A .45 acp is not a high pressure round. I would think it would be less likely to have extraction issues than the smaller caliber high pressure rounds like 9MM, .40, .357 SIG, etc.

But, if it was mine I'd be likely to change the extractor and the extractor spring (spring first, then extractor).

Sometimes, with a rifle, a rough chamber will cause extraction issues (high chamber pressure, rough chamber walls, case just doesn't want to move to the rear in a semi-auto rifle because there is still some chamber pressure when the extractor tries to pull the empty case out of the chamber.

So, just for the heck of it, I'd polish the chamber, too.

I bought an aftermarket barrel for my M&P .40 a couple years ago so rough the darn thing wouldn't chamber. The case mouth would get hung up about 1/4" into the chamber and just stop (angle thing. It would plunk fine, but the angle it feeds into the chamber at resulted in the case mouth contacting that asphalt road rough chamber and hanging up. Took some polishing to fix that.)

Good luck with it. I know a guy with that same pistol you have OP. He carries it all the time. Loves it.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I appreciate your response and I am certainly willing to give Springfield the opportunity to correct the situation... . I carried the Colt 45 and the reliable 38 special wheel gun while in the Green Machine (USMC), just after we went from canvas biplanes to props ;-) seriously I flew Uh-1s and Ch-46s.... for a few years.
Wen I get it back from Springfield, I will fire about 300 rounds and see if they corrected the failures. If not, then we can talk about a sale, as long as you are aware of my concerns.

Have a great 2022!!
Gotta love the 47 skids are for kids

·
Administrator
17,368 Posts
So plenty of advice already given. When ever I see stuff, and after chasing failures myself... It's just not that difficult. (after all the major frustration part 😉) All parts are parts. Unless there is a phisical failure... Chipped extractor claw, fit not right, just plain dirty gummed up... It's either ammo or springs. The gun cycles by ammo, springs counter ammo, 99% of the time it's springs or ammo, not hard parts.

It can be extractor, cheap part to replace. Certainly replace extractor spring. I typically replace mags springs, extractor/ejector springs (if it has one)... Extractors and ejector have been way more problems for me than bigger parts. If there are 10% overpower I will do that. Silicone is more consistent.

Point is... XD45s are plenty reliable, no reason yours can't be. Springfield is going to do OEM part and "maybe" one mag. Probably one shot. And with their mag. They won't go through ammo waiting to get to a failure. So you should probably just change some springs yourself and go from there. I get wanting them to fix it... But I fix all my guns.

I had an 308 AR that would not eject. Ejector swap, springs, clean/hone chamber... Nope. Got a little better but couldn't go through mag. Finally after lots of experts... Stumble across video... Extractor. 308s use 223 springs, and they are not strong enough. I had JP bolt and they found same... They redesigned their extractor. The shell slips off claw... And stronger springs. Call them, they ship new... 100% on everything. XD45 is not a AR, and 308s are non standard... Just saying, I learned a ton. It's the little things. They matter. But super simple to fix.

You should look up Springer Precision. @SpringerXD Been here a long time. Been working on XDs since the start. Good after market parts. No reason yours can't run 100% for probably not much money....

But ya... HK45 is best on market bar none... Just sayin... 😉

·
Registered
23 Posts

Have a great 2022!!
WOW so sorry to hear - similar to my saga with a Glock 27, even after Mfr fixed the cracked frame problem anyone can google
It would be a dream if SA would trade you a new Elite model and keep the lemon! I have a 45 MOD.2 that saved me from that Glock & it is a nail driver w/no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an XD-45 cal compact and It is now for the third time, back to Springfield. Candidly I find this handgun totally unreliable . For training it is great to practice type 3 failures. In real life -No!

First time about
2 years ago, I failure to extract or feed / a stovepipe. the repair was weak magazine springs. Second time in November 2021 at Frontsight , I experienced an extraction failure several consecutive times thru 3 magazine loads. Returned to me with no failure explication orvrepair made, in December, 6 weeks later , at the range after firing 30 rounds I experienced extraction failure shooting rounds 3and 4 on 3 seperate magazine loads. It is now back to springfield.
BTW I do not use reloads and my acp ammunition is quality handball and hollow point- used with my HK-45 and colt asp with no failures Also I estimate I have fired a totalof 1,000 rounds in training. I always throughly Clean and lubricate my handguns.

I asked Springfield to fix it to insure reliability and shoot enough rounds to report it is reliable. Maybe it is the extractor orthe spring.... at this point I really do not care. I need reliability and I no longer will consider it for life threatening defensive events.

I cannot even in good conscience, consider selling it with this documented failure since the warranty is non transferable and the buyer no longer has the warranty

My other option is to turn it over to my Sheriff and request it be destroyed.

If asked at this point about Springfield, no is my answer to anyone for an opinion.

I did numerous searches and did not find any reviews mentioning type 3 failures, only glowing evaluations from various competition shooters....
Hello @Silver Greek
Your experience is certainly not something I’ve seen a lot of. Every maker has a problem make it out the door and shooters who haven’t made their precious gun malfunction aren’t shooting it enough. For context, I have several S/A guns, 2x XDM 45’s, hellcats, and xdm 9 elite. I’ll focus on both Xdm 45’s. Practice gun is stainless slide, both have Surefire xc1 mounted and Trijicon HD sights. I shot the ‘carry’ gun ruthlessly, several hundred rounds per week for the first few months. After about 10 months of this, I bought the 2nd / “practice” version. I then campaigned my practice XDM 45 weekly to the tune of 1-2 hundred rounds. I’ve had 2 issues.
1) the pin right by the mag release likes to walk out. it’s never fallen out, but does like to work loose. Only on the practice gun.
2) at about 10-11 thousand rounds, the stainless slide broke at the slide catch notch. The gun still worked 99.5%, but wouldn’t lock back on an empty mag. S/A fixed and returned it and it’s run fine ever since.

I’ve had some ammo failures- proud (reload) primers that didn’t light off; out of spec round or 2. and had 2 rounds that didn’t fully chamber over the course of about ... I don’t know ... weekly use to the tune of 150 or so rounds per week since about 2014.

That said, I’ve seen this gun put into someone else’s hands and immediately start malfunctioning. Watching him closely, he was high thumbs, and literally riding the slide with his thumb. It worked every time i corrected him, but he kept reverting to that grip and kept making the gun choke.

Extraction/ejection, I have a hard time going from bad magazine to a failed extraction.

2 years ago, I failure to extract or feed / a stovepipe. the repair was weak magazine springs. Second time in November 2021 at Frontsight , I experienced an extraction failure several consecutive times thru 3 magazine loads. Returned to me with no failure explication orvrepair made, in December, 6 weeks later , at the range after firing 30 rounds I experienced extraction failure shooting rounds 3and 4 on 3 seperate magazine loads. It is now back to springfield.
When you say ‘failure to extract / feed / stovepipe’ can you elaborate?
was there brass still in the chamber, or was the brass extracted but not ejected fully? Was a round partially stripped from the magazine, or even fully stripped?

At Frontsight (kudos to you for seeking out training), again, was there brass still in the chamber ? or was it being extracted but not making it out of the gun?

My point here is, and I’m not trying to pick nits at you, but if the brass is out of the chamber, it’s extracting... At least partially. if it’s not making it out of the gun, it’s not ejecting, generally speaking. Is it possible that S/A may have chased the problem not properly identified to them ? ( again, I’m not blaming you here )

I have had guns sent back to me with little or no explanation and that doesn’t sit well with me either.
Heck I had short stroking with my Socom 16 when i got it. That took 2 trips to SA and discussion with the ’smith. Once it was back though, hasn’t ever done it since. I think the bolt carrier was hanging right at the end of the cycling of the action, more so than actual short stroking. I was pretty disappointed when that gun locked back after the first repair, but since then, it’s been shaming AR’s in carbine classes for years.

I hope this time around the gun is made right, .45 isn’t cheap right now so you shouldn’t have to validate function. Make sure S/A knows what you were using, mean rounds between failures, etc.

Good luck !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Girsan (Beretta clone) and had similar problems. Sorry to hear. After running out of problems, I replaced the ejector with a Beretta branded and not 100% feed issues. I’d suggest the same for you (or insist Springfield does). Good Luck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts