Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am aware of the issue of the locking blocks cracking on some xd's. I am also aware that the service models have the radiused corners to remedy the problem but the sub compacts do not. That being said, I have a service and a sc both in .40 and my service (which is older than my sub) does have the radiused corners. When doing a search here on the site, I don't see mention of anyone's locking blocks cracking recently, so it seems the radiused corners fixed the issue but I'm a little concerned about my sub developing cracks in the future. Since it is my EDC I am looking for ultimate reliability. I read somewhere on the net, sorry I can't remember where, the the reason the subs do not have the radiused corners is because they did not suffer from this issue but I also have seen some members of this site with cracks in the locking blocks on their subs. My question is how common of a problem is this with the subs? Should I be concerned at all or is it very rare? I know I am going to hear "Springfield will take care of it if it breaks", and I know that's true but just trying to be proactive. I hate to be without my EDC! Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I am aware of the issue of the locking blocks cracking on some xd's. I am also aware that the service models have the radiused corners to remedy the problem but the sub compacts do not. That being said, I have a service and a sc both in .40 and my service (which is older than my sub) does have the radiused corners. When doing a search here on the site, I don't see mention of anyone's locking blocks cracking recently, so it seems the radiused corners fixed the issue but I'm a little concerned about my sub developing cracks in the future. Since it is my EDC I am looking for ultimate reliability. I read somewhere on the net, sorry I can't remember where, the the reason the subs do not have the radiused corners is because they did not suffer from this issue but I also have seen some members of this site with cracks in the locking blocks on their subs. My question is how common of a problem is this with the subs? Should I be concerned at all or is it very rare? I know I am going to hear "Springfield will take care of it if it breaks", and I know that's true but just trying to be proactive. I hate to be without my EDC! Thanks in advance for any help!
Check with SA to see if they have an updated locking block for your pistol.

You need a back up carry pistol!

don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check with SA to see if they have an updated locking block for your pistol.

You need a back up carry pistol!

don
I will call SA and ask but everything I've read here says that the subs come back from SA with the same old locking block with the sharp corners. And I do have a back up carry pistol...........but my sub is my favorite!
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, I do have a backup carry piece but..........the sub is my favorite. Lol. I was mostly wondering how common of a problem this is and if I should really be concerned. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the double info. in my posts, my first reply didn't show up for a while for some reason? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.......I contacted SA and talked to a nice young lady and asked if there was an updated locking block for the sc40. She said she had never heard of a locking block cracking and didn't know anything about an updated part. She said they would be happy to take a look at it if I were to send it in but I told her I didn't want to send it in unless there was an updated part available for purchase. Guess the issue is either VERY rare or she was just not very well informed? Oh well, guess I'm right back where I started. Lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts