Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase my first pistol. I have read about the xd 40. I am wanting an xd 40 but I don't know which one to get. There are many models. I want it either all black, or black and silver. I want a good pistol to start, what xd is the best?

And if you buy from gunbroker.com or another internet sales place how do you register the gun and everything? Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
yose-

When faced with the same question a few years ago I decided to get the service model .40 in black on black with standard sights. While my reasons will probably differ from yours I will say that I have been completely satisfied with the firearm and would not hesitate to 1) recommend them or 2) buy another.

Yes I used the internet to source the firearm (as the .40 was somewhat scarce at the time) and handled it through a standard FFL transfer.

Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
533 Posts
what are you gonna use it for? carry? duty?
I have both the sub and service.
the sub is great for carry, not to big, or small. shoots great..
the 4" I use for my service gun, I am a police acadamy student. 4" is required.

as for SST or Blue, what ever you like better. both of mine are blue.
the XD's are great guns, you wont be disapointed what ever you choose.

also I recomend nite sights, and dons guide rod and spring upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats a good website to order from. what is the v10 and all that stuff. there are so many choices. i just want the best for my first gun purchase. i am going to use it to carry and shoot for fun.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I'd go with the 4-incher. Its a good compromise in the 40 caliber.

Have you shot a 40 caliber pistol before? Its snappier than a 9mm and some newer shooters that are not accustomed to recoil might find it a deterrent to becoming proficient with a handgun. Its not bad, just not as easy as a 9mm. Since I came from shooting 45acp 1911s and a 357 revolver, I was not bothered by it, but it IS snappier than my 9mms.

I'd suggest going to a range that rents pistols and trying several calibers and configurations before buying. It migfht help you decide which is best.

Pistols are a very personal decision and it MUST fit your hand well for you to be proficient with the thing. Example: I cannot shoot Berettas or Glock 45s worth a damn, because the pistols simply do not fit my hand well - it shows up on target...bigtime. However, the XD-40, 1911-style 45s and the Hi-Power fit me very well. Its a personal thing and you do yourself no favors by plopping down good money on something that looks cool, but does not really fit your hand well.

I tried for years to shoot my 92F Beretta well and finally gave up and sold it for a Hi-Power. I really wish I had not wasted my time on the Beretta. It is a well made gun, but it simply does not fit me worth a damn and it showed at the range! What good is a defensive pistol, if it does not feel like an extension of your hand and you're not totally confident in your ability with said piece?

Take the time to test-grip several types before buying...in the long run...you'll be glad you did. You may not wind up buying an XD at all...thats ok...get what feels best to you.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
533 Posts
v-10 is a ported barrel... not the best for carry because if you ever have to use your gun at night the flash will go up and may effect your night vision.
if you are going to use for carry I would get the sub-compact. if you are going to use as a range gun more than you carry, get the service.

or get both, I did, and you have the best of both worlds.

for your first gun, the service model would be a good choice, try to find the new package deal w/3 mags and holster for about $420, you will be getting a good gun at a good deal..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i want a 4 inch barrel. 40 cal, silver top if i could. i dont't want ported. whats the service and tactical mean?

·
Registered
533 Posts
have you checked your local gun shops, MC Sports is where I buy most of my guns. I have not checked prices on the bi tone but 460 seems to be about right, maybe a bit high.
remember if you buy from the internet you have to pay a FFL dealer for the transfer, and shipping, so 460 will turn into 500 or more after it is all said and done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gunshows sometimes have pretty good deals (atleast around here they do).

I know you could score an xd40 Service black nib (w 2 high cap mags) for $410 otd at someof the SAXET shows.

Hell I got my Tactical for $430 otd nib w/ 2 hicaps at the Austin SAXET show a few months ago.

Gonna go to the San Antonio SAXET show tomorrow and see if I can find a nice deal on a Ruger MkII or 22/45 target pistol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts