Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the new machine out to the range and fed a couple hundred rounds through it:

No FTF, no FTE, all ammo fed smooth and easy.

100 rds WWB - very clean burn, easy to handle
100 rds "Ultramax" - smoky. Left some fouling in the barrel (rounds were unjacketed, so I expected that)
50+/- rds CCI Blazer - for some reason I liked this best, but it was most certainly very similar in characteristic to the WWB stuff. I suspect I'd see a difference if I had the gun in a vise.

The gun itself:
Last 1.5" of the slide got absolutely filthy, as expected :p , due to the porting. The bright white dot of the end got completely blacked over (will fix this with some clear nail polish this week).

Top of the barrel between the ports blistered and stripped some of its gloss during the action (invisible to view while gun is assembled). No functional impact.

Overall shooting, the weapon had slightly more recoil than a Sig 9mm rented at the same time, and I'm still new enough to it that I haven't trained myself to know where it's target picture is, so my accuracy was all over the map.

Later, all -

T

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
"Top of the barrel between the ports blistered and stripped some of its gloss during the action (invisible to view while gun is assembled). No functional impact. "

I have the V10 9mm, no problems like this at all.

Huh

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've got that. It gets worse. :) But it's inside in a non-functional area, so it's really no big deal.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Sounds like you had fun TheBaldOne!

Is your XD a .40? I don't think they make the 9mm in a ported model.. I am not sure about that though.

Cleaning the grime is half the fun.. well.... maybe not half.. but it is some of the fun. Glad to hear you had no malfunctions.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
tec said:
"Top of the barrel between the ports blistered and stripped some of its gloss during the action (invisible to view while gun is assembled). No functional impact. "

I have the V10 9mm, no problems like this at all.

Huh
Yeah, my V-10 9mm does look blistered and stripped after a box or 2, but a thorough cleaning will make it all new again. I use Tetra gun lube or Break Free CLP lightly soaked in a silicone cloth. Just a little elbow grease and its back to new again. Cleeeeaann! :mrgreen:

For the front sights instead of nail polish, I used Birchwood Casey sight brite pens and worked up a layer of orange to fill in the front sight "well". Now a quick wipe makes the front sight visible again. Picked up the sight pens at a sporting goods store for $6 and it works great. :shock:

I am getting used to the ported pistol and now 9mm feels even lighter than ever. Not that it was tough before, but it's big difference over my Tactical 9mm. Overall I like them both equally. 8)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, this one's a .40, the 9mm BarSto barrel is already on order along with a couple mags.

I'm using Tipton bore solvent, and it gets clean easy, but that blistering isn't layered on, it's stripped off. Again, no big deal, just interesting that the blast had enough heat to do that.

Neat stuff ).

T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts