Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm new to the XD and most guns in general.. I've done some searching and from what I've found the .40 can be converted into a 9mm. Is this correct?

If so, what would the price range to do this and how easy is it to swap the barrells back and fourth?

I ask because I'm looking at a XD 9mm, but if I can have a 2 in 1 by buying the XD .40 I'm thinking why not?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
What are the three little flutes on the end of the 9mm tac barrel at that link?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
They are ported pistol barrels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are the .40 tac barrels all ported? What if you don't have a ported slide? I just thought that was unusual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, you can't. If you buy a 9mm, that's what you've got, with no options. Only the 357 and 40 can be converted to another size.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To get the maximum versatility out of your pistol, I would get the XD 40, and a 9mm conversion, and maybe a .357 sig conversion. The slide for the 40 has a larger hole in the front to accomadate the larger diameter barrel for the 40 S&W round. So you can go from a 357 or a 40 to a 9mm, but not the other way around

Edit : Sorry about the double info Crit, I didn't see your post

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome guys! Thanks for the info!

I think I'll go with the .40 and get the conversion down the road..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Silentknight said:
To get the maximum versatility out of your pistol, I would get the XD 40, and a 9mm conversion, and maybe a .357 sig conversion. The slide for the 40 has a larger hole in the front to accomadate the larger diameter barrel for the 40 S&W round. So you can go from a 357 or a 40 to a 9mm, but not the other way around

Edit : Sorry about the double info Crit, I didn't see your post
I was under the impression you could get a .357 -=> .40 conversion as well?

·
Registered
116 Posts
sintax said:
I was under the impression you could get a .357 -=> .40 conversion as well?
You are correct, I'm not sure if the slides are interchangable between the 357 and 40, but EFK makes the following conversions: 40 to 9mm, 40 to 357, 357 to 9mm, and 357 to 40

·
Registered
223 Posts
Vtwin said:
Well since I really want the 9mm, can't I just buy a .40 barrel instead?
External dimensions of a .40 barrel are thicker than those of a 9mm, so get the .40 and buy a 9mm barrel for it.

That's what I did ).

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
with the conversion barrels, how about the magazines?

lets say I buy a .40, can I load 357 or 9mm in those mags? did some post mentioned yes but the last round jams or something?

can one do the same thing with a Glock? Sigs? eg barrels and magazines

I know this is a XD forum, but I'm sure I'll get unbiased opinions :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh yeah, dude, you can totally load your 40 mags with 9mm and 357. It's rad.

Seriously, though, a 40 mag has the lips at the top pulled in just a hair tighter than the others. If you can't feed from the 40 mag, a little tugging with pliers will have you set up. Most don't require any modification, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts