Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team, I would LOVE to see some photo comparisons with ruler for scale of barrels for these two great pistols. If you have both, groovy, let's see them together. If you have only one, no problem, post that pic with the appropriate label.

I'm asking because I am in possession of an aftermarket barrel that was allegedly for my XD-40 Tactical and it is about 5-10% DIFFERENT than my XD-40 Tactical stock barrel (I'm referring only to the dimensions of the chamber "block" and where it sits on the barrel).... and guess what, the new barrel doesn't fit in my XD-40 slide. Lugs are longer, top has a different angle to touch the port's front, just to dissimilar.

I need to find out if I was shipped the wrong barrel....

Thanks all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xd has its own lug style. Mod 2 and XDM share the updated version.
thanks! Yeah my stock barrel also has a very different 'catch' for the takedown pin while the aftermarket barrel looks like the one on bottom - the catch being so large it doesn't even clear the takedown pin.

So the questions are: 1) is "Mod 2" a later version of the xd tactical? Is it the barrel on the bottom in the image? 2) Or is the barrel on the bottom an XDM barrel? If so I was sent a xdm barrel and not a tactical barrel...

·
Registered
396 Posts
The tactical can be found in the original and mod 2 models. The mod 2 will say “Mod 2” on the slide and probably on the grip as well. The large block is from an original xd pistol (bottom), the thinner block is from the mod2/XDM lineup (top).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see.... well here's what my own XD-40 Tactical stock barrel looks like:

Lugs look a little different (unless it's shooting that rounded off the bottom corner...) same with the feed lips which are much rounder (from slamming back?) and the notch for the takedown pin is also very different than the XD-40 tactical in your attached image. And it's ALSO different than the MOD2 above it.

On wikipedia it says the only TWO "Tactical" barrels were for the XD and the XD Mod 2.0 BUT only the XD came in .40 (the Mod2.0 coming in .45 and 9mm)

Knowing Wikipedia isn't perfect I also called Springfield Armories directly and asked which barrels would fit the XD-40 and they said the XDM and Mod2.0 are definitely incompatible and no one should be selling "tactical" .40 barrels labeled for XD's that are different as they won't work.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Thanks for the valued input.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think that is accurate, I’m not a .40 guy so I don’t keep up with it as well as I should. I should have mentioned that what is pictured aren’t both .45 barrels simply for comparison sake. If it has the large style block but simply doesn’t fit I would think it’s a manufacturing issue, I would contact the retailer and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it has the large style block but simply doesn’t fit I would think it’s a manufacturing issue, I would contact the retailer and see what they can do for you.
Yep, called as soon as I saw how different it was; "Oh, no that's definitely the right barrel... and note our website said 'No returns or refunds' and we warned you that '95% of the barrels will fit instantly but 5% will need to be taken to a gunsmith'" Nice caveat/get-out-of-jail-free card for them.

So I'm calling Springfield again to confirm and get it in writing. If their website says XD/XDM .40 barrel, and I select "tactical" it means I should be getting the XD-40 Tactical barrel, and not something for an XDM (it just looks like they lumped the order page together to save room, as in their "barrel style" drop-down menu "tactical" is a choice followed by various XDM barrels one would think they're going to get the right one)
All they did for me was pass my emails of photos off to their gunsmith who said he'd walk me through filing parts down so it would fit. I screwed that up and all he said was "Don't shoot that barrel, it's ruined". I think it all cost me $415 or something. This seems highly unethical.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help, team. Armed with all this information it looks like the aftermarket manufacturer is going to 1) replace the barrel, no charge, 2) custom fit the barrel no charge, 3) ship back to me, no charge.

That is exemplary service for a company that warned in their order page "no refunds, no returns".

Once I have received the barrel and everything is a-ok, I'll post here who it was so that they get the credit they deserve so others know to use their services. Excellent customer service needs to be applauded and rewarded so those companies get additional business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts