Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Tactical to the range today for the first time. It shoots terrible. It is shooting 1-1.5 inches high at the 7, and 6-7 inches high at the 25 yard line. I had the Range Master shoot it just to make sure it wasnt me and he got the exact same results. The group at 25 was about 6-8 inches, which in my opinion is pathetic for the Tactical. The standard models Ive owned were all very accurate and shot to point. I cant stand having a pistol that wont shoot to point of aim, and I hate pistols that require a 6 o'clock hold. I called Springfield and they are going to send me some different sights to try. I will post back when I get them and see if it corrects the problem. The way its hitting now, its a good 150 yard gun.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's a shame. My XD40 is shooting great. Before I put the MMC adjustable night sights on it, it shot to POA at 25 yards. I forgot to take my allen wrench with me the last tinme I shot, so my Tactical is still shooting about 4" high at 25 yards (with the MMC sights). Accuracy is great with my stock barrel. I have a Barsto barrel in .40 but can't tell much difference. The stock one is just that good. You may have already seen it, but just in case, here's the link to my post -

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20728

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hornady 155 grain XTP. They feed and shoot great! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
First, one needs to know what bullet the manufacture used when sighting in. A reputable one will make sure the front sight height is correct and rear sight correct for that bullet only.
I know, I shoot 147gr in my 3913 and told SW the guns shooting low. They said send it back and we will put new sights on for the ammo you are shooting. All is well.

My XD40 sub I shoot 180gr, again the bullet is too low for normal combat sighting. I will have to send it back and have a higher rear fixed sight and lower front sight put on. I load my own at normal velocities that the manufacture would used based on chronograph tests.

Whatever the mfg used to sight with is what a fixed sight weapon will shoot.
If you use a lighter faster bullet POI will be higher than POA.
A heavier slower bullet, POI will be lower than POA.

It becomes more exaggerated as the barrel and sight distance narrows.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We tried several kinds of ammo, all shot high. Not an ammo problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news. Springfield finally sent me the correct sight, or at least one that fixed the problem. Gun now shoots to point of aim after I installed the lower rear sight. Earlier it was making head shots at 50yards when aiming at the center of the target. Its still not as accurate as my Glock 22. Im really disappointed in it since this is the so called "Tactical" model.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I fired my XD9 SC for the first time today and I was hitting 9 to 10" high when aiming at center mast at 25 yards. No one esle was there to verify the results, but I did take my SW99 and aimed at center mast and was dead-nuts in the bull and 9 ring...? I thought it might be a "limp wrist" thing, but I shot the same way with my SW99 and no problem. I think I'll call SA. Do you agree?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds just like my gun. Springfield said the sight that came on my gun is the one thats supposed to be on it, and I told them how high it was shooting. They finally sent me a lower rear sight and it shoots to point of aim now. I wonder if they had a batch get out of the factory with incorrect sights?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I have a XD-40 Tac as well. I am still confused by this 6 o'clock aim stuff? I'm new to handguns so that may be why. It seems to shoot high for me. My groups are getting better and better but I wonder if its shooting high as I don't understand the 6 oclock thing. Is it SUPOSED to hit right where you are aiming or just a hair north of that? This is at 7-10 yard range.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its supposed to hit right where you aim. 6 O'clock aim is when you put your target on the top of your front sight and the bullet hits the middle of it. I hate this and dont know why anyone would sight their guns in this way. I want mine to hit exactly what Im aiming at. Your the 3rd person Ive heard from that has a Tactical that is hitting high.

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is pretty much the case with all of them. This is why I installed MMC adjustable sights on my XD40 Tactical. :wink:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I don't have the skill yet to say for sure its not something I'm doing. A little more range time and I'll get back to you. I'm talking only an inch or two high so it doesn't seem as bad as some of you are talking about.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
well I went through another 200 rounds yesterday. Still getting frustrated with my slow improvement but I think I'm trying to learn to many things at once. Next range trip is going to be to learn to follow through and once I have that I'll add something else.

I was able however at the very end to rangle in the shooting high. By raising the gun position just a hair and pushing out a little more with my arms. This seemed to help alot. Next trip Ill be able to hammer it out a little more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The reason for the 6 hold is it's not good to have any of the target concealed by the sights. This is known as combat sighting.

Tactical weapons don't necessarily mean "target" weapons. They are capable of wearing lasers and lights.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love point of aim. i could never get used to 6oclock sighting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts