Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm set on an XD-40 as my next purchase (Christmas present) but I have one reserve. I really like the way the SubCompact feels and it's easy carry potential, but I'm hesitant on the 3.1" barrel.
I don't own any handguns that have less than a 4" barrel - I'm just wondering about the kind of precision I can expect out of the short barrel?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not a target gun. But the myth that short barrels aren't accurate is just a that...a myth. The gun with a 3, 4 or 5 inch barrel is more accurate than most shooters could ever be. What you do loose with an inch less barrel is velocity.

Personally, I've never found it problematic to conceal a 4 inch semi-auto. The barrel isn't what is hard to conceal anyway, it's the grip. I don't like the shorter grip because I have a big hand, plus you also lose capacity. Which is why I own the XD 40 Service.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The subcompact is a VERY accurate pistol. I have one in both the 9mm and the .40 and they are both accurate. They hit where you point them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it's a carry gun then you seem overly concerned with acuracy here. Your not likely to be engaging tagets from extreme distances, most shootings will be very close. I really don't train much with my sights, I work on instinct shooting, drawing and naturally getting the gun in target and firing, my gun is plenty acurate to hit a torso target from 20M away

·
Registered
678 Posts
tattoo said:
If it's a carry gun then you seem overly concerned with acuracy here. Your not likely to be engaging tagets from extreme distances, most shootings will be very close. I really don't train much with my sights, I work on instinct shooting, drawing and naturally getting the gun in target and firing, my gun is plenty acurate to hit a torso target from 20M away
Don't be too sure, Danny Glover had to shoot the bad guy from at least 50 yards in Lethal Weapon 2, after all, you never know when you will be required to be a mall ninja.

T

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
theRealHP said:
I'm set on an XD-40 as my next purchase (Christmas present) but I have one reserve. I really like the way the SubCompact feels and it's easy carry potential, but I'm hesitant on the 3.1" barrel.
I don't own any handguns that have less than a 4" barrel - I'm just wondering about the kind of precision I can expect out of the short barrel?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
For the purpose intended, the Sub is quite accurate. It will surely put all rounds into the critical "center body mass" at defense distances.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
The SA XD40SC is starting to become the favorite
of my stable.

Ed

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I saw Bob Mundon shoot a regular 12" balloon 3 times in a row with a .38 snubby.

At 200 yards.

:shock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts