Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a local shooting league and the other day got done shooting my stage and they usualy say "slide back" "clear chamber" "slide and trigger" and well when I dry fired it the dam slide came sliding off. The slide leaver on the slide that you use to remove the slide some how fliped up and that is how the dam slide came off. I have no idea how this happened being that the leaver is kinda hard to flip up anyways. Any one know why this happened and if it has ever happened to you. XD-40 V10 over 2,500 rounds through it. By the way some old man asked what kinda gun is it I replied springfield xd he says "well that explains why" he shoots a kimber!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You always run into the types of people that think their gun or brand is better. As far as your slide, I'm thinking when you locked it back you must have flipped up the lever and once cleared and dry fired, the slide naturally came forward as if you were field stripping it. Never happened to me before. You're right, its normally pretty tough to move the takedown lever. Does it still feel tight when you normally strip it? If not maybe you had a lot of oil on the mechanism. Could just be a freak incident.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I am not sure how the lever can move without someone actually moving it. Beyond that, you would have to raise the lever at the exact moment to clear the grooves, which needs to be a timed event. Something seems odd.

You tell that old man that I have seen more Kimbers crap out during matches than XDs. The gun is the usually the last thing to fail. Remember, it is the Indian, not the arrows, that has the problem. :) The XD is a fine weapon and I am tired of people who knock them, who have never shot one.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Come on now! No offense but why don't you just admit to the possibility that the lever was up by accident. It doesn't move by itself. :roll:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Wow! I am suprised! Already 4 responses to this guys post and no one has cried TROLL! The only way this could have happened is because (a.) The locking lever was left in the unlocked position and (b.) the user either failed to notice this when he gripped the pistol or jut wasn't gripping it right. This was absolutely no fault of teh XD itself unless the locking lever failed (broke). And there was no mention of that.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Make sure the tab thats on the back side of the lever is still there. If the tab is broke then the lever could come up at any time. And like OS said plenty of kimbers crap out all the time.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
yea if the lever moves up the flat part inside the frame allows stuff to move over it the tab keeps it from moving up becuase it cant get around the fat part of the slide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I shot well over 25 rounds through that stage so if it was fliped up in the first place wouldnt something very bad happen when i fired the first shot. And yeah all those old fookers with kimbers are always jamming, miss fire etc....

·
Registered
101 Posts
It could have possibly been up the whole time because in order for the slide to come off you need to remove the mag. As long as you had a mag in the slide would not come off. It will go about 1/2 inch forward. Someone could test this and see if it works. The recoil though must damage something. Check the mag you were using and see if the back of it has any contact marks from the slide hitting it. Just another possibility.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Kimbers aint all thet are cracked up to be, I have seen them have more problems then most other 1911s, and you can buy 2 or 3 XDs for the price of a Kimber :lol: . Oh yeah, and Glocks don't jam either :shock: .

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I used to have a Kimber Eclipse Pro II, now I have a XD-9. They are over priced, unreliable and ammo finicky. Next time tell that guy if his kimber will shoot 2K rounds + reliably without cleaning. I bet he chokes at the thought. Most Kimbers I have seen start to malfunction after 300 rounds.

As to this occurance, never saw it before. Are you shure you did not accidently push up the lever as you cycled the slide back to show clear? Or maybe pushed up the lever instead of the slide lock? All I can say is weird, never heard of this type of occurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 on the mag theory.

I duplicated that exact scenario when switching from .40 to my 9mm conversion barrel. I shot a box of 50 and I didn't notice until I was putting the gun away. After emptying the last magazine, I dropped the mag then released the slide and noticed that it went just a little too far forward and realized what I had done and that the takedown lever had been up the whole time - if I would have pulled the trigger the slide would have just slided right off. :D

There was no doubt in my mind that I had locked the slide back while reassembling and then laid it on the bench without dropping the lever - popped in a full mag and started blasting.

I didn't see any damage to the mag but it was disconcerting to say the least. It pays to tend to the details . . . esp. with firearms.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i don't really mean to change topics, but shouldn't it be

"irideaNr62002", assuming you ride aN r6?

(N's capitalized for emphasis)

dean
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc

·
Registered
401 Posts
You may want to check your slide lever spring, this is what puts tension on the takedown lever. Your spring may be broken or out of position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
now that I go back and think about it maybe I had the lever up the whole time, guess I will never know. Learn from my mistake. And for the iridear62002 subject that makes more sence to me "i ride a r6 2002" rather than "i ride an r6 2002" But then again I am no grammer major

1 - 19 of 19 Posts