Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I finally took my XD 40 service model to the range. It was also my girlfriends first time to the range. So I took a few other guns with us.

I put about 150 rounds through my XD. It was lovely. I had cleaned it a couple times and ran a bore snake before I ever even shot it. I had no issues. I was shooting Remington UMC 180gr FMJ. It took a few rounds to actually shoot on target but I got the hang of it. My girlfriend surprisingly shot well for her first time.

One thing had happened but im not sure what you would call it. I was shooting a full 10RD magazine. I shot 9 rounds no problems on the 10th round the slide failed to lock. Any comments on this? something I need to address or just random?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My XD9SC did the slide thing the first time I took it out shooting with my gf as well. I think it's fine and probably just needed a few rounds put through it. I haven't had any issues or failures of any kind since, so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey all,

I finally took my XD 40 service model to the range. It was also my girlfriends first time to the range. So I took a few other guns with us.

I put about 150 rounds through my XD. It was lovely. I had cleaned it a couple times and ran a bore snake before I ever even shot it. I had no issues. I was shooting Remington UMC 180gr FMJ. It took a few rounds to actually shoot on target but I got the hang of it. My girlfriend surprisingly shot well for her first time.

One thing had happened but im not sure what you would call it. I was shooting a full 10RD magazine. I shot 9 rounds no problems on the 10th round the slide failed to lock. Any comments on this? something I need to address or just random?
make sure your not touching the slide release when gripping the pistol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
make sure your not touching the slide release when gripping the pistol.
Yea, I remember reading this in a different thread before I purchased my XD. My thumb is no doubt close to the slide release but I just cant imagine that I ever hit it while shooting. Possibility though will look out for this next time.

Oh yea, I noticed when I first started shooting the gun, I was shooting pretty low. I started to put the front site over the target basically covering the target and it seemed to help a lot. is this an indicator of some sort of newb mistake I am making?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Yea, I remember reading this in a different thread before I purchased my XD. My thumb is no doubt close to the slide release but I just cant imagine that I ever hit it while shooting. Possibility though will look out for this next time.

Oh yea, I noticed when I first started shooting the gun, I was shooting pretty low. I started to put the front site over the target basically covering the target and it seemed to help a lot. is this an indicator of some sort of newb mistake I am making?

Yeah, you and the other people that have posted with the same issue. :rolleyes:
It's your thumb hitting the release. Or more correctly, it's the release hitting your thumb during recoil. If you shoot left hand only, no support hand, it will never happen.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@John_Bud or AZXD, or whoever is willing!

Hi,the OP mentioned that it took him a few rds 1st before hitting the target, could it be because of a very clean bore? does it need some fouling shots before you attempt on doing a group? pardon my newb question, cos i've been noticing this same issue if i may call it, during the first few rds. of almost every shooting session, sometimes on the mark, then off a little , then after that it kinda would settle after some shots.Is it the clean bore, or just me?TIA

sorry 4 d threadjack!:razz:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
@John_Bud or AZXD, or whoever is willing!

Hi,the OP mentioned that it took him a few rds 1st before hitting the target, could it be because of a very clean bore? does it need some fouling shots before you attempt on doing a group? pardon my newb question, cos i've been noticing this same issue if i may call it, during the first few rds. of almost every shooting session, sometimes on the mark, then off a little , then after that it kinda would settle after some shots.Is it the clean bore, or just me?TIA

sorry 4 d threadjack!:razz:

Given the distances shot and the size targets, missing the target with a new pistol is a trigger control issue and not a clean bore / warm bore issue. Bore condition may (MAY!) move you from the 10 ring to the 9 ring when shooting at 25 yards. Incorrect trigger manipulation will move you from the 10 ring to the back berm when shooting at 15 ft!

If you are somewhat random at first then settle down after a few shots, I would expect it to be what I call "trigger excitement". If you are like 99.3% of us, when you start shooting it's so much fun it's hard to settle down and really truly focus on the actions needed for accurate shooting. I have that issue as well as the attention span of a ADD butterfly, so keeping on task and focused is always a chore!

Just my opinion, but it's probably pretty close. If it is, you may want to try 10 reps of the dry fire drill with the empty shell on the front sight post before you fire your first shot. At home, dry fire with a cheap laser (follow all the dry fire safety steps). I use one from ebay that was 20 bucks delivered. It's like the one in the link (if not the exact same model). I opened the electronics slide door and filled it with silicone RTV (after zeroing) and then verified zero before it hardened. It's held zero now for well over a year.

Tactical Low Profile Pistol Red Laser Sight Scope Metal | eBay

It's not a good enough gadget for carry, but is certainly good enough for dry fire practice to improve trigger manipulation. I have no interest in the linked product.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Switching from9 to 40, I experienced a lil squirliness getting used to the dyes kick. Playing wit

·
Registered
46 Posts
This also happened to me 6-7 times on my first 200 rounds I shot from my new XD 40 Service. I was using WWB 165gr/180gr and Federal Champion 180gr.

I am 98% sure it wasn't my thumb... thought it might be couple of my magazines so I labeled them... but since I ran out of the WWB and Federals, I've been shooting reloads I bought from surplusammo.com. After shooting 250 of those, it haven't happened again... and I've also changed my grip and pointed my thumb down away from the slide stop.

I bought more WWB and Federals and will see if the slide lock back issue returns.

Phil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts