Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I almost had the opportunity to use my XD-40 for self-defense. It was snow storming outside, and it was about 0100. My wife and I were just starting to get to sleep, and suddenly there was a loud noise somewhere in the house. Sounded just like someone trying to force their way in a door or window.

I was instantly fully awake, called for my wife to get the Brinkmann el cheapo light out of the nightstand on her side of the bed, and I got the XD40 out of, well, where I keep it. I loaded a round, felt for the loaded chamber indicator, and assumed a good house clearing position. Unfortunately, our house is configured so that in order to protect the girls, I need to clear the house, so, after waiting and listening for a moment, I started to move out. I heard the noise again, only this time it was different. There was plenty of ambient light, so I quickly cleared the main floor, and my wife went upstairs to check on the girls.

I found the back screen door open, but a quick search of the new-fallen snow indicated that noone had been there. After checking with the wife, we turned on the light and examined the door arrestor, and sure enough, the darned thing had malfunctioned and not allowed the door to close all the way, and it, combined with the wind had made the noise that scared us. Cleared the XD and returned it to its spot.

Later, in bed, we did a quick AAR. She admitted that she was concerned about moving in the dark while I was armed. We reexamined our actions for potential risk, and determined that under the circumstances, the speed involved was worth the potential risk, especially as her movement was secured by the funky way our house is constructed. In a differently constructed house, or with someone who was less experienced, I wouldn't recommend having two people moving around along different paths, in the dark.

As far as the XD40 was concerned, given the funky way the magazine fits in the well, I was VERY glad for the loaded chamber indicator. It gave me a way to verify that I had, indeed, loaded a round. I was also happy with the pointability. Sitting in front of the TV, I had some difficulty getting the sights to line up, blind, but last night, in the dark, I indexed the piece putting my thumb and forefinger knuckles right into the depressions on the upper part of the grip, and wham, she was right on.

Overall, I was VERY happy to have the XD in my hand as I moved through the house. My backup is an Armalite M-15 carbine, and I could move much better with the light in one hand and the XD in the other than with the carbine.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
good deal. good thing no one was hurt. it sucks that you have to clear your house, that puts you at a dissadvantage.

remember, dont always trust the loaded indicator. you can do a press check in the dark the same way it has been done for years... pull back the slide enough to feel the round.

how did you like workin the XD with a flaslight? it can be quite tough. i did some flashlight work lastnight with my G17, 9P, brinkman, and a buddies G2Z. the G2Z is the way to go, you can get a much better grip on your gun with it and still controll the light.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a problem handling the light and the gun. I spend about as much time working one handed with the light held off to the side as I spend with the "wrist-supported" light position. (I like to keep the lit flashlight away from my center of mass.) I find it's good enough for in-house ranges.

I hadn't heard of any bad experiences with the loaded-chamber indicator. I have had a certain amount of trouble with the magazine refusing to seat, though. Next time, I'll go old-school to ensure the round is loaded, though.

On a related subject, I've heard so much about folks being nervous and jumpy in this situation; for as long as I've been doing tactical stuff, I do just the opposite. My systems seem to default to utter calm when stuff appears to be hitting the fan. Anyone else have this reaction to stress? Or am I just weird?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't mean to criticize, but the statement "Last night I almost had the opportunity to use my XD-40 for self-defense" sounds a little jaded to me. It sounds as though you desire an "opportunity" to use it for self defense. I apologize if I mis-read or mis-understood that sentence...but if I didn't, your zealousness is troublesome...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
poetshot said:
I don't mean to criticize, but the statement "Last night I almost had the opportunity to use my XD-40 for self-defense" sounds a little jaded to me. It sounds as though you desire an "opportunity" to use it for self defense. I apologize if I mis-read or mis-understood that sentence...but if I didn't, your zealousness is troublesome...
I read it the same way, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
120mm said:
for as long as I've been doing tactical stuff, I do just the opposite.
i'm sorry, but so many people claim this... i have to question it.

what exactly is "tactical stuff"?

are/were you a member of: SWAT, SF, SOCOM, or any other Special Operations Group, US or foreign?

if not, where did you learn your "tactical stuff" and by how did you apply it?

·
Registered
889 Posts
It sounds more like he did use his XD for self-defense. Just because there wasn't anyone there, and he didn't fire a shot, dosen't mean that he wasn't defending himself. I have used a gun three diffrent times to defend myself when there was someone there, and have never fired a shot.
Guns are used thousands of times a year in self-defense in this country without ever firing a shot.
And just because he didn't find anyone dosen't mean that there wasn't anyone there, ever hear of shadow people? :shock: . They don't leave tracks in the snow.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
120mm said:
As far as the XD40 was concerned, given the funky way the magazine fits in the well
That's a new one to me. Does the magazine fit in the well in a funky way?

·
Registered
778 Posts
SLCDave said:
poetshot said:
that makes three of us...

I hate reading these types threads on here

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dotagious said:
SLCDave said:
poetshot said:
that makes three of us...

I hate reading these types threads on here
Four. Just because I would not hesitate to use my XD to defend my home and family, does not mean I'm eager to...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Make it Five.
Sounds like a little to much paranoia..

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I was thinking the same thing. I will give him the benefit of the doubt tho and hope it was just a misinterpretation on my part.

It will be interesting, I believe, to read his responses to the questions posed; I know I'm curious to know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this thread has some age on it but I feel I must put in my 2 cents. The rooster hit it right on the head with his comment about being at a disadvantage. I always thought I would be but it never really sunk in with me until we did some experiments in the dark at my club with a someone laying in wait (the burglar) and someone else searching in the dark (the homeowner) for the bad guys. This was done in complete darkness and we set up makeshift walls etc. We used airsoft guns rigged with lasers type lights that would activate with a pull of the trigger. We all had our turn at both sides of the scenario.

This was done at our local club at an IDPA class (as a bonus) put on by national ESP champion Daniel Horner and his dad Andy (also a top level shooter). They had both taken instruction from people from Surefire that instruct SWAT Teams etc. You are at such a TREMENDOUS disadvantage searching your house at night EVEN IF YOUR AN EXPERT that it is just NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL. Call 911.

The methods these folks have developed involve using the light and gun one handed and intermittently flashing and moving it in arcing motions (away from your body) and going by memory, jumping by doorways etc. when you have to go into a room through a doorway it is particularly hazardous. Even with their training they got shot at least 50% of the time. The only way to clear a house is with a dog. Let the dog loose- man's BEST freind. When you go out with a light you are an easy target.

·
Registered
125 Posts
therooster: "...are/were you a member of: SWAT, SF, SOCOM, or any other Special Operations Group, US or foreign? if not, where did you learn your "tactical stuff" and by how did you apply it?"
LOL! What kind of bullshit is this?

So now you don't know tactics unless you've spent some time on an A-team and learned all about eating road kill and sticking band-aids on 'indigenous personnel', eh?

*snork*

Me and the other millions of veterans of the US Army infantry (and the Marines, too) - all of us non-'Special Ops' types would like to have a word or two with you regarding your definition of 'tactics'. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
120mm said:
Last night I almost had the opportunity to use my XD-40 for self-defense. It was snow storming outside, and it was about 0100. My wife and I were just starting to get to sleep, and suddenly there was a loud noise somewhere in the house. Sounded just like someone trying to force their way in a door or window.

I was instantly fully awake, called for my wife to get the Brinkmann el cheapo light out of the nightstand on her side of the bed, and I got the XD40 out of, well, where I keep it. I loaded a round, felt for the loaded chamber indicator, and assumed a good house clearing position. Unfortunately, our house is configured so that in order to protect the girls, I need to clear the house, so, after waiting and listening for a moment, I started to move out. I heard the noise again, only this time it was different. There was plenty of ambient light, so I quickly cleared the main floor, and my wife went upstairs to check on the girls.

I found the back screen door open, but a quick search of the new-fallen snow indicated that noone had been there. After checking with the wife, we turned on the light and examined the door arrestor, and sure enough, the darned thing had malfunctioned and not allowed the door to close all the way, and it, combined with the wind had made the noise that scared us. Cleared the XD and returned it to its spot.

Later, in bed, we did a quick AAR. She admitted that she was concerned about moving in the dark while I was armed. We reexamined our actions for potential risk, and determined that under the circumstances, the speed involved was worth the potential risk, especially as her movement was secured by the funky way our house is constructed. In a differently constructed house, or with someone who was less experienced, I wouldn't recommend having two people moving around along different paths, in the dark.

As far as the XD40 was concerned, given the funky way the magazine fits in the well, I was VERY glad for the loaded chamber indicator. It gave me a way to verify that I had, indeed, loaded a round. I was also happy with the pointability. Sitting in front of the TV, I had some difficulty getting the sights to line up, blind, but last night, in the dark, I indexed the piece putting my thumb and forefinger knuckles right into the depressions on the upper part of the grip, and wham, she was right on.

Overall, I was VERY happy to have the XD in my hand as I moved through the house. My backup is an Armalite M-15 carbine, and I could move much better with the light in one hand and the XD in the other than with the carbine.
Luckily there was no confrontation and fake wolf calls are annoyingly frustrating.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I took the original post by 120mm as he was eager to have the practice of the threat, but glad that it was a false alarm. Good experience to learn from. I agree with the action that was taken. In my own Home I would search for the threat, and check on children ASAP. My opinion is that I know my home better than anyone and therefore have the advantage if a threat was in the house, but the upmost caution and confidence in one's own abilities is advised.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mike Wood said:
You are at such a TREMENDOUS disadvantage searching your house at night EVEN IF YOUR AN EXPERT that it is just NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL. Call 911.
Call 911? We all know that really works wonders. :?

If you are at all interested in early warning, you should have a dog in your house that's trained to bark at unfamiliar sounds and voices. I can't stress how huge of an advantage this is. You get a warning before someone even enters your house, and chances are that the barking forced the intruder to find an easier target.

And furthermore, I have three kids. I'm not going to duck under the covers, call 911, and wait. I'm clearing the house. I know my house by feel alone. It's my castle; I have the advantage. Playing SWAT at a tactical funhouse doesn't compare to that. But since I have to two dogs, I'm even less likey to have to shoot someone in my house anyway. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think a better course of action would have been to go up the stairs with the wife, but stay at the top of the stairwell and guard access to the upstairs. Meanwhile, the wife calls 911 from one of the children's rooms. Let the police clear the house; it's their job.

Always have cell phone by your bed, too. It's REALLY easy to unplug or cut a phone line on the outside of a house... at least the new construction houses in this area of the country.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts