Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am 21 yrs. old and am just about to purchase my first handgun. I have grown up hunting, and shooting my fathers (and his friends) guns my whole life. However he is a revolver man so he did not have much input on my situation. By price, reputation, and feel (not shooting however) I have narrowed my choice down to two guns. The XD-40 and the 1911 GI. 45. I am going to use the gun for range shooting, self-defense(hopefully not), and to kill varments and maybe even a hog or two. I know that to really get a feel for the guns I should shoot them, but have not been able too yet. Based on dependability and accuracy, which gun do you think I should purchase? Also, am I looking at a big difference in accuracy between the 4" and 5" models, or is it minimal?
Thanks,
Jshooter

·
Registered
101 Posts
My first and only handgun currently is an XD-40 service model. I purchased it based on the information I found on this website and the price. It is all around a good pistol. I have been looking to purchase a second handgun and I have been looking at the 1911's. Specifically the Springfield GI-45. It is cheap and from what I have read on this forum the gun is worth the money. After talking to some people it was recommended that I purchase a better pistol that is already done up. A gun that you won't have to put work into. Like a Springfield Loaded or a Kimber. I haven't made up my mind but it made me think a lot. Also if you plan on carrying the gun the barrel size will matter there. I would think you will have an easier draw with a shorter barrel. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I packed the 1911 for years. I have a "tweaked" Springfield MilSpec that couldn't be any more reliable and accurate; see "trading post" for further.

The gun I carry to work every day is an XD-40. It is smaller, lighter, just as accurate, hits nearly as hard, and holds 13 instead of 8. It has never choked with any decent ammo.

SOmetimes you just gotta try something, and the 1911 can be like that. The XD-40 however will do anything that needs done with a service pistol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 1911s and a new XD. Love these guns. For my first, I would go with a 1911. My XD is great but a good 1911 pattern gun almost shoots itself. IMHO, easier to shoot well with and with the thumb safety, more peace of mind when I have it stuck in an IWB in Condition 1. That is cocked. locked and ready to rock. The XD is a very safe gun too but I look at it as cocked and ready to rock - "locked" missing in a way but I am an old man and traditional. Springfield makes a great 1911 but take a look at S&W too. My SW1911 is my home defense gun and it will feed anything and, after break in, go bang 100% -- so reliable it's boring. XD or 1911 first you can't go wrong. Both great choices and a win-win situation. Congratulations and welcome to the family.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tough call. The GI 1911 is classy but you might have to put some aftermarket work into it. What ever XD you choose should kick but right out of the box. Strictly for hunting, I'd lean towards the 1911, for defense I'd lean toward XD. I've hunted beaver at close range with the XD and even with all the muck and H2O exposure I haven't had any problems with the XD40-SC I have. Having said that, I've missed a few beavers that I shouldn't have. Maybe a beater of a 1911 that I wouldn't mind taking on water would have helped.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Way to go Jshooter for getting yourself a handgun and doing some research on it when you're only 21. That's about when I started and I've made it a point to get one or two guns a year. If you're going to be a lifetime shooter, get the XD now. BY the time you're bought a few more guns you'll find a void in your collection that a nice 1911 could fill and you won't compromise by getting a half-decent 1911.

·
Registered
268 Posts
XD all the way. dont get me wrong i love my 1911's (all Springers by the way) but my XD40 service is ALOT more comforable to carry. get an XD then a 1911

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a colt 1911 that was made Feb. 14, 1921. I replaced the spring, and put a new S.A. barell and shoot wolff ammo and it is deadly accurate. I also own a XD-40 and shoot WWB and so far I do not have the accuracy with the XD as I do with the Colt. For CCW i would choose the XD. For self defense and grab and shoot I would prefer the Colt .45 Go to a range and rent the XD and get your own impression. The XD I rented with thousands of rounds through it was more accurate than the XD I purchased. I love both guns and take both to the range so the other won't get jealous. :roll:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Jshooter said:
Also, am I looking at a big difference in accuracy between the 4" and 5" models, or is it minimal?
In theory or in practice? In theory, the 5" should be more accurate than the 4" due to the longer barrel and longer sight radius. In practice, your mileage may vary. Assuming that my experience with XD9s translates to XD-40s, in my case I am more accurate with the 4" than I am with the 5" inside of 20 yards. For lack of better terms, the 4" has better balance in my hand, leading to more comfort and point ability and, ultimately, better accuracy at short range. At 25 yards and out, the 5" barrel and sight radius start coming into play.

As for the XD-40 and GI .45, they tend to be in the ballpark with each other for NIB pricing. Out of the box, the XD-40 is probably the better deal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Until you have put the first 1000 rounds downrange I would recommend the XD. After you understand the mechanics of shooting; i.e. trigger control, follow through and sight alignment/picture then see if you can find someone to let you shoot their 1911. I do not believe in the one gun fits all category.

A golfer carries 14 clubs for a reason. I have an Colt Officer 1911 for CCW w/North American Arms 32 NAA for backup, 2 extensively worked on Colt 1911's for USPSA Limited10, a Charles Daly 1911 w/Wilson 22 conversion for trigger control practice, a Beretta 92 Vertec for USPSA Production, a compensated Glock 21 for USPSA Open, a Para Ordnance 14-45 for USPSA Limited, a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag w/10 1/2" barrel Magna Ported w/1-6X scope for fun deer hunting, a Smith & Wesson Model 29 44 Mag w/4" Magna Ported barrel for hiking, a Ruger Mark II Target w/1-4X scope for gophers, a Ruger 22-45 for cheap 1911 practice, a Beretta U22 w/red dot sight for cheap open practice, a modified Remington 1100 12 Ga w/10shot tube for USPSA 3 gun, a Bushmaster XM-15 Disapator w/40 round mags & a Mossberg 500A w/8 shot cap for the bedroom. I forgot the S&W 686 357 Mag & the Colt Trooper Mark III 357 Mag that were sort of a phase before the Model 29 & Super Blackhawk.

Now a new phase, I have a XD9 in layaway which will become the USPSA Production gun and the Beretta will get Crimson Trace laser grips for basic pistol instruction.

Before they get angry I must mention the Marlin Camp Carbine 45ACP w/15 round mags, Remington 11-87 for skeet/trap, Browning Citori w/tubes for skeet 4 gun, Remington 700ADL 22-250 for pararie dogs, Ruger 10-22 for gophers. I think I exceeded my club allotment in pistols.

·
Registered
245 Posts
MTEagle1 said:
Until you have put the first 1000 rounds downrange I would recommend the XD. After you understand the mechanics of shooting; i.e. trigger control, follow through and sight alignment/picture then see if you can find someone to let you shoot their 1911. I do not believe in the one gun fits all category.

A golfer carries 14 clubs for a reason. I have an Colt Officer 1911 for CCW w/North American Arms 32 NAA for backup, 2 extensively worked on Colt 1911's for USPSA Limited10, a Charles Daly 1911 w/Wilson 22 conversion for trigger control practice, a Beretta 92 Vertec for USPSA Production, a compensated Glock 21 for USPSA Open, a Para Ordnance 14-45 for USPSA Limited, a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag w/10 1/2" barrel Magna Ported w/1-6X scope for fun deer hunting, a Smith & Wesson Model 29 44 Mag w/4" Magna Ported barrel for hiking, a Ruger Mark II Target w/1-4X scope for gophers, a Ruger 22-45 for cheap 1911 practice, a Beretta U22 w/red dot sight for cheap open practice, a modified Remington 1100 12 Ga w/10shot tube for USPSA 3 gun, a Bushmaster XM-15 Disapator w/40 round mags & a Mossberg 500A w/8 shot cap for the bedroom. I forgot the S&W 686 357 Mag & the Colt Trooper Mark III 357 Mag that were sort of a phase before the Model 29 & Super Blackhawk.

Now a new phase, I have a XD9 in layaway which will become the USPSA Production gun and the Beretta will get Crimson Trace laser grips for basic pistol instruction.

Before they get angry I must mention the Marlin Camp Carbine 45ACP w/15 round mags, Remington 11-87 for skeet/trap, Browning Citori w/tubes for skeet 4 gun, Remington 700ADL 22-250 for pararie dogs, Ruger 10-22 for gophers. I think I exceeded my club allotment in pistols.
How do you actually remember that list? I guess I needed to feel some humility today. I thought my grand total of five pistols was pretty impressive. Well, your list has changed all that. But someday I may catch up... :D

-Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Jshooter said:
Hello everyone, I am 21 yrs. old and am just about to purchase my first handgun. I have grown up hunting, and shooting my fathers (and his friends) guns my whole life. However he is a revolver man so he did not have much input on my situation. By price, reputation, and feel (not shooting however) I have narrowed my choice down to two guns. The XD-40 and the 1911 GI. 45. I am going to use the gun for range shooting, self-defense(hopefully not), and to kill varments and maybe even a hog or two. I know that to really get a feel for the guns I should shoot them, but have not been able too yet. Based on dependability and accuracy, which gun do you think I should purchase? Also, am I looking at a big difference in accuracy between the 4" and 5" models, or is it minimal?
Thanks,
Jshooter

Range Shooting: XD40

Self Defense: I prefer the .45 but the .40 is good.

Shooting varmints or a hog: Glock 20 hands down!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mike

Actually I forgot the Marlin 444 w/Magna Port & 1-4X scope for close range bears and the 300Apex for long range elk and the 30-40 Krag that was my Dad's but this is a handgun forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I carried a 1911 as an Combat MP in Germany for 3 years, never did like it. I have Ruger P90,P95 and P345. Just got a Glock 22 40 Cal and then a XD 40. They are all better than a 1911 in my opinion, especially when you figure the price. Graet pistols, I shoot them all a lot better than I ever did a 1911.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Get the XD40 first. It can serve as a personal defense piece a lot sooner than the GI can. It will be cheaper to feed as well.

The GI may have problems feeding hollowpoints for defense, and the sights are next to useless. More than likely you will want some modifications to it if you shoot it very much (beavertail, etc).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took my XD-40 out to my range. Groups in feet not inches. Far as I'm concerned, range test over.
I've owned Glocks 17 (3), 22 (2), 20 (2), 21, and 30. Ive owned 1911 Kimber, Colt, Springfield (2) HK 45acp's. Sig's, Smith & Wesson 38 cal to
44 mags (several). Even Makarov's. Dozens and dozens of pistols and never shot anything so bad as the Springfield XD-40. Just for grins I returned the XD-40 to my dealer and he refund me in full. I bought a Glock 23. Took it home to my range, used the same 180gr 950fps FBI loads at 25 yards ended up with 3-4 inch group.

However, I am happy some of you received some good XD's but I would never own one or protect my life with one. But I am happy to hear you are happy with yours because that's what counts.

I work in a field that gives me the freedom to test rifles and pistols. I've tested M-4 lubrications in -10F to AZ summer heat. I've woke up with ice covering my rifles, (and myself) pistols, and know what works and what doesn't. I have shot mid-day in the blazing AZ heat in small sandstorms. I also ship the right kind of lube (my expense) free to our military in Iraq. Who am I? Nobody, I test firearms from 9mm's to Barrett 50bmg and give feedback to whoever wants testing. Owners of gun oil companies to law-enforcement.

The XD-40 flunked my test in mild weather on my private tactical range. Zero tactical shooting. Just pointing at the target and shooting.

I appreciate all the inputs from you folks and some of the ideas were interesting. (Reference to Range Reports Glock to XD-40)

·
Registered
401 Posts
beernut said:
I work in a field that gives me the freedom to test rifles and pistols.
As an experienced tester you should know better to condemn an entire design on the basis of a sample of one.

I had a Glock that wouldn't feed ball ammo and broke the recoil spring guide within 200 rounds. I didn't write off all Glocks because of that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would wait untill you have more cash in hand to get a "good" 1911. (1,000)
I wanted to go out and get one of the SA 1911, and looked at the GI model. After research, I figured I should wait to get one, so I could get one with features I wanted, Not just "the look" of a "bad ass" gun.

For now the XD40 Would be a good choice.. Anyway I hope it is, since its my first handgun I bought. ( I am 21 as well)

To be exact I got the SA XD SC 40 (Springfield Armory X-treme Duty Sub-Compact 40) ... I get to pick it up tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts