Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post and first range report. This is my first gun, altough I've shot my brother's guns when visiting him.

At 21 feet I am shooting a cluster of shots within a 3 - 3 1/2 inches. However, I have 3 or 4 "flyers" out of every 12 round mag(all shots fall within a 4 to 4 1/2 inch diameter). I don't know any stances for shooting, so this could be a problem. As far as my grip goes I try to grip tightly with my right hand, and I wrap my left hand over my right with my left index finger gripping the front of the trigger guard. Is there anything someone might suggest to get better results?

Chris Cahill

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to XD land.
I don't wrap my index finger around the trigger guard as it tends to steer the gun. Keep your strong hand thumb on top of the other, with both pointing towards the muzzle. Work with the tightness of your grip untill your are able to squeeze the trigger and not move the muzzle. Then as One Eye says, parctice practice practice. Lots of dry firing works wonders, just make sure the gun is unloaded! Don't worry about the flyers. That can be from flinching or the ammo.
Happy Shooting :D

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
For a new shooter, those sound like good groups to me! But do like the fat man says. :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I've read a few posts on here and some people seem to boast of much better groupings than I can obtain. I guess I haven't been shooting long enough to know what the capabilities are for an automatic pistol.

Also, my younger brother owns a Sig P228 9mm. We have been shooting about the same amount of time, but he is a natural. He can out shoot me with my XD or his Sig.

I did notice while dry firing that sometimes I'll dip the barrel down about 1/2 the length of the front sight. Which I think explains the flyer as they tend to be low and to the left.

I guess it's like the saying goes, "how do you get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, man, pratice."

Thanks guys,
Chris Cahill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts