Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the XD-40 4" service model to have a very tight magazine when loaded to the point you have to push up on the bottom plate of the magazine in order to get it to release? Is this normal? If so, please let me know that this is just a trait of this particular weapon because I have owened several automatics and not had this problem.

Thanks in advance for your response.
recently posted in another part and recieved very little response
anyone with any info on this please help I am debating on sending it back A to springfield a 3rd time starting think I got a lemon :roll:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have two XD-40s one Service one Tactical and both of them take a very firm press of the magazine release to get it to drop a magazine loaded with 11 or 12 rounds. Pushing up on the basepad of the magazine does make removing a full magazine much easier. I beleive this is fairly common for XD-40 and possible other XDs.

mcb

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Out here in kommiefornia we can only use the 10-rounders, but they pop in and out with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm new to the forum here, just bought a XD-9 subcompact. LOVE the pistol so far. It impresses me more and more the more I mess with it.

However, to answer your question about the magazines... I have a Walther P99 .40. When loaded to full capacity (12 + 1), it is nearly impossible to release the mag with the mag release. Upward pressure on the magazine while operating the mag release always does the trick. Sound like your XD is normal, along with other high quality .40s (my Walther is still my favorite gun, but the little XD is gaining on it!).

-stunks

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Boy was I surprised when I tried to load a12 round magazine for the first time for my XD-40 service model!

The nasty tendonitis and nerve damaged left hand prevented me from loading the magazine. I ended up buying an HKS speed loader model GL-940. HKS does not have a specific model for the XDs yet, but my friend’s loader that came with his Glock 23 fit my magazine perfectly, so I bought the HKS model for this Glock.

It works great and only costs $10.49 at Gander Mountain. This device really saved my butt.

I got another tip that the Cambi units work great and are much higher quality than the full plastic HKS unit. It costs more of course but I will pick one up sooner or later.

Tom

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The nasty tendonitis and nerve damaged left hand prevented me from loading the magazine.

Tom[/quote] Time to cancel the subscription to Hustler magazine. :D :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
My xd40 service was the same way at first. a full 10 would not even load into the gun unless the slide was locked open. After 100rds of 180grain FMJ it works great. I even noticed the slide has a cleaner motion now.

How many rounds have you put through it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah, the new mags are a bit of a hassle to load. I cant remember much of a problem with mag release though, but that was probably 3500 rounds ago. Once they're broke in, it's no problem. I remember having to load my 12 rd'rs with 10 at first because the last 2 rounds were such a pain to get in. Loading 12 (or 13, which isn't recomended, and I don't recommend, but I have done it...but don't try to shoot it with 13 in a 12 round mag...it just doesnt feed properly) and leaving it set for a few weeks seems to decrease spring retention, and makes it easier to load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts