Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an xd 40 which is jamming. i have determine that when this occurs its not the bullet or barrel because i can move the barrel back in forth on the round. It has about a 1/2" to go before the slide is all the way forward. I found today that when this occurs if i release the mag it goes the rest of the way forward. But can not figure out where it is hanging up at.

Can you please help Me.

Thank you,
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
So it sounds that the "jam" is a failure to feed? Does it happen with both mags? Are you shooting reloads, if not what ammo and bullet style?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I took the slide off my service and couldn't see where it would hang up..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds that the "jam" is a failure to feed? Does it happen with both mags? Are you shooting reloads, if not what ammo and bullet style?
I have not noticed if its with a certain mag i will pay attention to that, i'm shooting bullets from georgia arms, but again the round is in the hole and you can move the barrell back in forth on the bullet so its not hanging there. It has something to do with the mechanism that when you are out of bullets it pushes the stop up to hold back the slide. all you have to do is hit the release button and it slams shut. its only a 1/2" in most cases. the slide works free. i cycled manual slow and it takes about 20 tries to get it to hang up.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
It's not the slide. If it was the slide then you wouldn't be able to load the round and the gun would not function correctly. Does it happen when shooting or only when cycling the round manually. Again take note if it happens with both mags or just one. It sounds like the round is not getting presented correctly so the round hangs in a 3 point jam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There was an issue with the XD 40 and the slide stop. It seems in the double stack mags. every third or fourth round leans left. When it is comes up second inline to be chambered it comes quite close to the slide stop latch. I have read that this only happens on the XD40 and not all of the time. This may be the problem, but not sure. The fix was to shorten the latch slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue with both of my XD 40 mags. A gunny at the store of purchase attempted to fix both, but only one consistently feeds.
I am not a gun enthusiast, per say, but I believe the feeder area at the top of the mag had to be bent somehow....
Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have experienced the same problem with my XD40. Through research on this forum, I learned that my right thumb was slightly pushing up on the slide release, I have modified my grip and it helped, but didn't completely stop the occurances. It happened with all my mags, and it wasn't related to a specific bullet number in the mag.

The bullet wouldn't feed completely into the chamber. It would hang slightly shy of loading, and the slide would hang open approx. 1/2" to 1/4". If I pulled the slide back just slightly and then released it forward, it would load the rest of the way. I used WWB.

I polished the feed ramp to a brilliant mirror finish, and I keep it oiled, and have not experienced the problem since...more than 500 rounds. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my xd 40 V-10 service model used, and I put well over 500 rds through my handgun with no issues, then recently I have been having this same issue where I have a failure to feed, I HAVE 3 MAGAZINES,
Two 12 rd mags, and 1 10 rd mag. This happens with all 3 magazines, in different cycles of the magazine, (1st rd, middle round, last round, it doesnt matter). I'd say this happens about 20 times out of 100 rds shot averaged
Ive tried all types of ammo brands and grains, and replaced a worn down extractor. and its still giving me FTF's Im going to call and try to send it in to SA to have it looked at, it WAS my carry gun, I cant rely on it to save my life if I need it, so I wont carry it anymore. Hopefully we get it resolved

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi to all.In my own experience,I think its normal for a brand new gun to have little problems.Remember that manufacturers are producing guns in hundreds of units in a day and they are making it in mass production,Imagine if the manufacturer will do the conditioning one by one,how many guns they can produce at the end of the day...They always have some degree of manufacturing standards that ensure functionality of the products but not to the extent of testing it and do the brake-in for us.If they do that the gun will be as good as second hand;) Normally it takes quite sometimes before it function properly.It takes some ramp polishing and polishing inside of the chamber.A common hand drill and a steel shaft about 6 to 8mm in diameter wrapped with an ultrafine sandpaper or 1500 grit will do the job.If you are brave enough or in a hurry you can use grit 600 sandpaper first before using finishing sandpaper grit 1,500 or 2,000 or ultrafine.This procedure usually solve feeding problems in most handguns.:) I hope this one helps!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Hi to all.In my own experience,I think its normal for a brand new gun to have little problems.
That used to be the case. When you hear the term "break-in" what comes to mind? Probobly only guns and motors. New guns USED to always have a "break-in" period till they loaded and extracted properly and reliably, they need some motion to smooth and polish thier internals. But these days most of the guns we discuss are combat types and are built with loose tolerances and don't generally need a break-in to work properly, they WILL smooth out some but work properly right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just wondering how old your .40 was. Mine I just bought, but was built last year I believe. I shot all with all five mags, ten rounds each no problem. Then shot hp's. It maybe also be a feedramp issue.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
I have the same problem with my XD 45 with two mags only, and the third is fine. I tried toading less ammo to attempt to alleviate the problem. However, I was getting a consistant "Tap, Rack, Bang" with at least one round per magazine with JHP's. I am thinking of having the local gun store take a look-see.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I had a problem with the rounds not sliding up the feedramp. They would move forward, hit the feedramp and stay there. A slight bump on the back end of the slide usually helps it. The better fix was to spread the forward end of the magazine lips so the round that's at the top of the magazine is pointing up more. That way it slides right on up when it hits the feedramp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hello, i have a HS40 TACTICAL and i never experienced any problem with the load diving and jamming inside the chamber. i think they call this failure to feed (FTF). i even used my old HS2000 9mm magazines for my 40. no malfunction what so ever. my only gripe is i can only load 11 rds.
going back to your problem, it seems that you have a bad magazine. its common symptoms for failure to feed and the culprit is the magazine. have it checked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shipped my XD to Springfield Armory for them to look at,
My XD is far past the break in period, it's probably more worn in than most peoples XD's on this forum. It's probably closer to the worn out, spectrum.

Either way they paid for shipping, and insurance and its being overnighted to them, I'll keep people posted on here about it.
I was definately embarassed about FTF'S happening in front of a GLOCK guy, I dont think I'll ever hear the end of it.......:x

My ftf's are with all 3 of my magazines all out of nowhere, Ive never had an issue with it until recently

1 - 16 of 16 Posts