Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday and on four different occasions, had major failures to extract on some pmc .40 165 grain, have never had any failure of ANY type with this gun to this point. Shot several mags of golden saber without issue.
Any ideas on the cause here? My main concern is this is my primary home defense gun- a little hesitant now though...

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Went to the range yesterday and on four different occasions, had major failures to extract on some pmc .40 165 grain, have never had any failure of ANY type with this gun to this point. Shot several mags of golden saber without issue.
Any ideas on the cause here? My main concern is this is my primary home defense gun- a little hesitant now though...
bad taper-crimp would be my first thought; is there a noticeable 'ridge' where the case meets the slug? Try stripping down the weapon and doing a "plunk" test with a loaded round of the Golden Sabers and the PMCs...see if you can feel any resistance...

also double check your extractor hook...make sure its clean and make sure the spring isn't weakened...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ammo seemed ok. Cleaned the extractor hook, it had some gunk in it.
Now I am noticing when I rack slide with one bullet in magazine it chambers it smoothly, but with an almost full magazine, there seems to be a hitch, almost a slight resistance? This may be the norm and I might just be over analyzing at this point? Any thoughts would be appreciated- I am a little apprehensive now.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Now I am noticing when I rack slide with one bullet in magazine it chambers it smoothly, but with an almost full magazine, there seems to be a hitch, almost a slight resistance? This may be the norm and I might just be over analyzing at this point? Any thoughts would be appreciated- I am a little apprehensive now.
are you giving the slide a full rack or inadvertantly easing it? is your feedramp nice and shiny and smooth? Load a half-rack in a mag and see if it hangs or not...

wondering if your extractor spring might be faulty...or the extractor itself...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not shiny. There is a small semicircular part which is slightly shiny, rest is darker colored.
It is clean though-

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
No not shiny. There is a small semicircular part which is slightly shiny, rest is darker colored.
It is clean though-
polish your feedramp...I would wager the projectile is hanging up on the feedramp texturing...were your FMJs the same profile as the Sabers?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pmc FMCS were flat nosed, sabers more rounded.
What's best method to polish keeping in mind not very mechanically inclined.
Should I maintain the indentation in the ramp already there and just clean it up?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
The pmc FMCS were flat nosed, sabers more rounded.
What's best method to polish keeping in mind not very mechanically inclined.
Should I maintain the indentation in the ramp already there and just clean it up?
the idea is not to remove anything but the rough texturing on the ramp itself--no removal of any metal...I personally have had great success with some 1500 grit Wet or Dry sandpaper and a couple drops of 10w30 motor oil...use a small piece of wood dowel that fits the ramp perfectly and slowly work the paper over the surface....wipe clean occasionally....I wouldn't advocate any Dremel-fu on this one

Just take your time and you will do fine...I am confident this is at least part of the issue--all mine are bright/shiny/glass smooth and have yet to hiccup on anything I feed em...PM me if you have questions

·
Registered
11 Posts
doess it do it with any other ammo or just the one i had a glock that would not shoot pmc but you put blazer or winchester it would shoot all day

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
are you giving the slide a full rack or inadvertantly easing it? is your feedramp nice and shiny and smooth? Load a half-rack in a mag and see if it hangs or not...

wondering if your extractor spring might be faulty...or the extractor itself...
What "extractor spring"? What would the feed ramp have to do with extraction?

don

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
How many rounds have you fired through that gun? If the extractor is ok then try a different brand of ammo.

As to the feeding, you may have a weak recoil spring. By the way, you do not put "bullets"in your magazine!

don

·
Registered
15 Posts
The simple answer is, if it only has issues with one type of ammo then do not use that ammo.
The pattern on the feed ramp sounds typical but I would do a cleaning of the feed ramp and even a very minor polishing of the ramp if it is not completely shinny. This promotes easier feeding of rounds.
The more rounds in the magazine the more pressure will be applied upwards to the slide. This is caused by magazine pressure and is normal.
If you want to use the PMC 165's the ramp may need to be worked on a little bit. Have you fired this round before?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
What "extractor spring"? What would the feed ramp have to do with extraction?

don
post 4....read the thread before criticizing...

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Read it, still don't know where there is an extractor spring on an xdm/xd!

don
the "spring" would be referring to the extractor flexing properly...its not a stringent piece of metal, it does flex under load...and if it flexes too much, it can cause FTEs....

so no, I am not referring to an individual part, but the act of flexing or the "spring" in the extractor...I see I could have been more clear, admittedly...

as for the polsihing of the feed ramp, he admitted he was having random FTFs as well...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts