Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to post a new thread on an issue that has been addressed somewhat in the past. However, I'm looking for information and suggestions about a problem with my new XD 40 failing to feed. From what I've read, this occurs as a bullet is being moved from the magazine up/along the smooth, polished ramp into the chamber. I haven't had any ejection problems or other malfunctions of any sort, but out of the 200 rounds I've shot, 5 to 10% of them have stuck while being chambered. Pulling back the slide ejects the jammed round and loads a new one.

From what I've been able to find about it, the problem can resolve after use. Any other way to get it to work properly?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
A couple months back I tried some PMC ammo (I think it was a green box) because I got it really cheap from my local store. I couldn't put more than 3 down range with out it jamming up. I took that crap out of the ammo can and went back to the WWB and Speer that I had used before and I no longer a problem.

However, now that I have replaced the guide rod with a Don's and 22# spring I am having some FTF issues, but that is a whole other story.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you have new mags and they are really stiff you may want to break them in first. Keep them loaded and constantly load and unload them to work the springs. Also I had a small problem with my 40 Tactical you may want to look at also. Take off the slide and put in a full mag. Now look straight down onto the gun and look to see how close the slide lock release nipple thingy is to your bullets in your mag. My nipple thingy was actually touching my WWB rounds when I would wiggle the mag. To fix it i just shaved the nipple down a tad and it worked perfect. Springfield says they use the same slide lock release on all calibers. Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit more information: I have tried three brands of ammo--Winchester, Remington UMC, and Wolf (leaves nasty primer gunk behind)--and it has happened at least with both the UMC and Winchester. Jam happens regardless of which of the 3 (brand new) 12 rd. magazines I use.

As for Slaytex's suggestion of the nipple part touching the loaded cartridges, I actually checked that a little earlier today and didn't notice a problem with it.

This isn't the slide locking back after a shot. I take a shot, spent brass ejects successfully, new round is moved forward and stops with slide partway forward, I'm presuming against the feed ramp.

The ramp itself is smooth and shiny and clean. Could the bullet be getting caught on the intersection between the ramp part of the barrel and the metal part of the frame where there is a small groove that matches the ramp?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also had the same problem. However, mine was happening on every magazine. SA asked me to send it to them. I did. They returned it. It has never failed to feed again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How old is your gun?

I just got a brand new 40 service and the same thing was happening to me last night. every mag there were like 1-2 FTFs, with 175 rounds. I figured out that because it was a new gun I should have cleaned and lubed it before going to the range. Cleaned and oiled it last night, and it fired 300 rounds today flawlessly!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Billy6Killer said:
...every mag there were like 1-2 FTFs, with 175 rounds.
That's what happened on mine when it was new. On some range trips, it would fail on the next the last round in every magazine load. It occurred more with specific brands of ammo (like Speer TMJ).

I called SA, they asked me to ship them the pistol. Since then, it has never failed to feed again - even with the same ammo that caused the failure before I sent to SA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts