Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 2 all I am a new member from Michigan, and was a big fan of the XD. I have owned this Xd 4' in 40 s&w since new 7-08, I purchased this pistol after shooting a friends XD ( LEO ) and a lot of research told me this was going to be my carry gun because of the reliability. Yesterday at the range while talking my brother into buying one of these for personal carry the Slide Stop broke in half? causing the slide to stay open with a loaded mag. Has this happened to any of you? I was up late last night googling about this and ran across different sites saying Springfield uses the same stop in all the XD's regardless of caliber, and many of the 40 s&w stops are breaking. I am sure Springfield will fix it for free, but like a loose girlfriend can I ever trust it again!! will this happen again when the SHTF?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would say that what happened to you is probably a one time thing. I have never had any problems with my xd40, a couple thousand rounds through it (no exact count). Every gunmaker is going to turn out a lemon once in a while, no matter how good the quality control is, I would say that you simply got unlucky and got that one bad one.

Obviously send it back and get it fixed. And as soon as you get it back, take it straight to the range and dump a couple hundred rounds through it. I'm sure your confidence will be restored in your xd before long :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There was an issue with the XD-40 when it was first released locking the slide open with magazines that were not empty. The fix was to slightly shorten the tab that is engaged by the follower in the magazine. However, this was years ago and I would expect that a recent production pistol would incorporate this fix because reports of this problem go back to the first year of the XD-40. This would raise a question concerning the production date of your pistol. It's possible that your is an early model that was sitting on a dealers shelf for a long time. If so, you can be pretty sure that your new release will be problem free.

However, if you have a recent production pistol, there is another area that you will need to look into. That is the position of your strong hand thumb if your shooting right handed. The slide release on the XD pistols is prominent enough that you have to use a grip that keeps clear of the slide release. I found this out first hand when I experienced a problem with the lide not locking open on an empty mag. Changing my combat hand grip by shifting my right thumb away from that release solved that problem 100%. With a combat grip it's very easy to ride the slide release which will keep the slide lock from engaging. However, grips vary, and it's also pretty easy to inadvertently apply upward pressure on the slide release when using a trapped thumb grip. If so, the engagement notch in your slide should also be showing excess wear. If you see this, breakage of the slide release, and pre-mature wear, of the slide release will always be an issue because you may be partially engaging it with every shot. It's a price you pay for having that release so conveniently located, you have to learn how to avoid it. For a trapped thumb grip, trap that thumb low enough in the grip recess that you can feel the top of the magazine release. For a combat grip, place that thumb outbard of the pistol on the knuckle of the support hand thumb.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'd say it is more likely that you just got a slide stop that was a dud from the factory. I've been on this forum awhile, read a lot of posts, and this is not a common issue. I'm sure it'll be fine once you get it back from Springfield. I'm sure they will look it over for any other issues now that it has had some wear.

This is obviously why you want to shoot a lot of rounds through any gun you plan to carry. Just like a car, you want any gremlins to surface early at the range. Fortunately, unlike a car, the XD has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had my xd40SC for almost a year and shot just about every kind of ammo, I have been going to the range every week, I have never had a single issue, I'm pretty sure it is an isolated incident, by the way your pic did not come thru.:shock:

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I searched our forum and found a previous thread. Search (Broken Slide Release...Headed Back to SA) my stop broke in the same spot. see pic

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have my XD40 with over well I stopped counting at approx 20,000 rounds. Not a single issue, all factory stock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I searched our forum and found a previous thread. Search (Broken Slide Release...Headed Back to SA) my stop broke in the same spot. see pic
You found "a", as in one, thread about a broken slide stop in the thousands of posts on this forum. That's a long way from "lots of 40 s&w slide stops are breaking". The fact that you found only one should tell you how infrequently broken slide stops occur. Send it back and get it fixed for free.

If you don't trust the gun, sell it and get something you do trust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will call Springfield in the morning, and will ask if they can just send me the Slide Stop, via EXPRESS!! rather than shipping them the pistol. After carrying my XD everyday since I have owned it, it will feel like I have left home without my wallet!! I will post again tomorrow after talking to Springfield and let you all know what they say. Thanks for everybody's input even though I am having this little glitch right now, this XD has been a fantastic weapon as far as accuracy and safety features.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to Penny at S.A. today, and she is going to send me a new Slide Stop right away! How cool is that! She told me that this is a very rare occurrence! and please do not loose faith in Springfield. Which I don't believe I will. I will post again after part arrives.:grin:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, your right. Why am I complaining? After all these are some of the most reliable weapons on the market? And after 200 rounds it's bound to be wore out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, your right. Why am I complaining? After all these are some of the most reliable weapons on the market? And after 200 rounds it's bound to be wore out.
That's not what I said. I said that you should call Penny to find out what the delay was in getting the promised part instead of yelling (the use of Bold CAPs is actually past yelling) and the disparaging reference about Customer Service.

The guns are normally reliable. Unfortunately you got one with a bad part. Penny is normally very diligent in doing what she promises.

The fastest way to resolve your issue is to call her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts