Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered previously, but what are the suggested upgrades for the XD and also what are some upgrades i can do on my own. This is my first "real" handgun, i don't count my Davis P380 throwaway, so i have some limited experience.
I bought my XD 45 used, looks almost brand new and appears to have no mods.
Thanks for any threads or suggestions

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
The XD45acp Service model is a pistol on its own frame design. It has nothing in common with any of the other XD models and so nothing is interchangeable except for magazines and the slide and barrel from a 5" tactical model.

Since the gun is so proprietary there are only a few upgrades yet available for this model. There are a few you can do yourself. Sight changes are not recommended to do yourself without a lot of knowledge and care. They are on there really tight!!

Trigger jobs can be done by a professional or "semi" drop in trigger parts can be purchased through PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL if you can do the slight fitting at home.

If you keep it as a 4" service you can choose from the following upgrades/modifications:

- Night sights

- Carry/combat/competition trigger job

- Grip modification such as stippling or grip tape

- Aftermarket barrel

- Custom coatings

- Tactical light mounted on rail

- Laser sight if desired

- Mag springs

- Mag well

- Custom or homebrew polishing of metal parts

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it runs good, I'd leave it alone. The service is not a "match" gun so I probably would not try to turn it into one with barrels and trigger jobs etc. Maybe some nightsights or a white light. I've modified many of my guns but I really like the simplicity of my XD service as it is. My XD service has been 100% reliable and plenty accurate for a service gun. Also, If I ever decide to sell, most of the add on items (just like tricking out your car/truck) will give you very little in terms of return "investment". Having been a gearhead and avid gun buyer/tinkerer for 30 years I know this VERY well. If you decide to add all this stuff, do it strictly for the fun of it.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I put trigger jobs on my XD .40 Service and XD .45ACP Tactical, those are the only mods I've made. The gun I carry everyday is totally stock.

I found the weight, creep, overtravel and reset of the stock XD triggers to be somewhat unacceptable, but I like everything else about them including the sights which seems to put me in the minority.

If this is your first real gun, I agree you should shoot it for a while and not do anything to it at first. Maybe you can find someone with an XD who has a trigger job and see what it's like. Lots of XD shooters out there and they ALL want to talk about their gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After alot of back and forth thinking of what upgrades I want on my XD45. I have elected to only do a sight upgrade with a local gun smith. I will have the trijicon sights installed this week. Later in time after alot of shooting I might send off for trigger upgrade. For now thou I believe sight upgrade will be the only thing I do. I might try to do some home polishing on it thou.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
A canyon creek tungsten guide rod would be a nice touch if they ever get around to making one.

Still waiting.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
There's a bunch of stuff you can do but very little you need to do (if at all). You can get some ideas about the different modifications and the cost of implementing them on the Springfield Armory website (under custom shop).

Here's a pic of the Service model which the Custom Shop upgraded for me with:

The job included:
  • Trigger and over travel adjustment
  • Trijicon night sights
  • High hand mod
  • Grip texture
  • match grade barrel
  • My alias on the slide
  • Armory black coating

I added a SureFire light and LaserMax internal laser

1 - 9 of 9 Posts