Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions pros and cons for .40 cal. Thanks!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The pro of the sub is of course the size. That's about it I think.

The pros of the service are less recoil (especially in .40) vs sub and slightly better accuracy. Personally, I have a service and I don't think it is very hard to conceal which is why I got it. If concealability is your utmost concern then the sub is a good choice. If you want the versatility of concealed carry as well as better target shooting then the service is a good choice.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
What are you planning on doing with either one?

Concealed carry, target shooting, home defense, competition, plinking?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Glock 36 and a Kahr PM9 and a Kel-tec P3AT for backup so concealment is not my number one priority (all three of those guns are smaller) - still there will be occasions where I want to carry the SA concealed...so all in all, it sounds like the XD 4 in barrel Service model may be the most practical. The SA would be used mostly for night table defense and target practice.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Go with the Service Model...this is what I have (in 40SW) and I love it.

Don't be surprised if you stop shooting your Glock or sell it off. I sold mine off after owning it ten years...I love the XD...improved combat tupperware! Don't miss the Glock and its rake-ish grip angle one bit.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brickboy240 said:
Go with the Service Model...this is what I have (in 40SW) and I love it.

Don't be surprised if you stop shooting your Glock or sell it off. I sold mine off after owning it ten years...I love the XD...improved combat tupperware! Don't miss the Glock and its rake-ish grip angle one bit.

-brickboy240
I love all my guns Brick and between you and me, I'll always be partial to the .45ACP. :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Sounds like it's the Service model for you.

Did you condsider the Tactical? :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I originally wanted the 3" for CC, but after shooting the 3 & 4", I decided on the 4". I liked the feel of the 4" better, and it is still a fairly small weapon, so it can be concealed.

I still might get a 3". or a 5" or both :?:

My .02

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hobocircus said:
Sounds like it's the Service model for you.

Did you condsider the Tactical? :twisted:
I have a Series 70 1911 Government that is flawless - upgrades include a Bar-Sto barrel, Wolf hi power recoil spring, trigger that breaks like glass at 4#, Wilson combat sights, two-tone and on an on. It would be extrmely jealous if I even considered adding another .1911 style 45 ACP to the family. The Glock 36 is kinda like its kid brother - different personality altogether. Big age difference and noting in common other than both are .45s and function perfectly - I love 'em both. And yes, given the choice, I'll go .45 any time. It's an inherently more accurate caliber than the .40 (sorry .40 fans but true) and a handloader's dream - a less pressurized round than the .40 so more forgiving.

Trouble is I got rid of a Glock 27 and I have all this .40 ammo so what the heck, I thought I'd try a SA. Saw and touched the XD Service at a gun show and it felt good in my smallish (but very macho) hands. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
one obvious thing not mentioned yet, is magazine capacity. 3" .40 gives you 9 round mag, where 3" .40 gives you 12 round mag.

myself, i didnt like my pinky hanging off grip of 3". went with xd-9 4", and very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMPALAon20s said:
one obvious thing not mentioned yet, is magazine capacity. 3" .40 gives you 9 round mag, where 3" .40 gives you 12 round mag.

myself, i didnt like my pinky hanging off grip of 3". went with xd-9 4", and very happy with my choice.
Let's talk about higher magazine capacity for the average armed citizen....if you need more than 6 or 7 rounds to protect your behind, you don't need a larger magazine, you need air support. It is highly unlikey that Joe Citizen will EVER find himself in a war zone scenario requiring upteen rounds. Other may disagree but the fact is, the 1911 7-rounder has served us very well over the years.

Sorry, I have never bought off on this argument. For me, weight and concealability is more important. I intend to use the SA XD service for primarily target/plinking. The larger capacity mag (compared to my G36 and Kahr PM9 and the SA subcompact) would just make it more fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
kraigster414 said:
IMPALAon20s said:

Let's talk about higher magazine capacity for the average armed citizen....if you need more than 6 or 7 rounds to protect your behind, you don't need a larger magazine, you need air support. It is highly unlikey that Joe Citizen will EVER find himself in a war zone scenario requiring upteen rounds. Other may disagree but the fact is, the 1911 7-rounder has served us very well over the years.

Sorry, I have never bought off on this argument. For me, weight and concealability is more important. I intend to use the SA XD service for primarily target/plinking. The larger capacity mag (compared to my G36 and Kahr PM9 and the SA subcompact) would just make it more fun.
i never said or implied that higher cap magazine was better for personal protection, thats something you may have inturpeted. just makes for fewer magazine changes at range. but since you did bring it up, i dont see the harm in having a higher cap magazine, consider the alternative, having fewer rounds when it is called for, and your right its not likely you'll need that many rounds in an emergency situations,but i wouldnt want to come up on the short side. just my opinion.

by the way, i hope i never have to find out. i'd prefer that i never get to use my gun anywhere else but a gun range.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 4inch and my father the 3inch.

We shot together yesterday.

The grouings from the 4 inch were significantly tighter past close range. I also feel it points and holds sight picture better.

Grip length isnt an issue with extensions.

Having shot both, i prefer the service model. If I carried id probably go for the subcompact, but i dont feel the service is too bulky at all for carry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts