Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the XD 357 sig in the Tactical and love it. Very accurate and not as hard to shoot as some have indicated. It does have a pretty snappy recoil but, again, not as bad as some have said.

The thing about the 357 sig is that it fires a fast 9mm bullet and that results in high energy and excellent barrier penetration. And, when paired with a good SD round the 357 sig is about as good as it gets at stopping BG's for an auto loader.

Ammo prices are a bit higher than some but not as bad as some think.

Additionally, you can replace the 357 sig barrel with a 40 S&W and have two guns for the price of 1.25 guns.

Brian

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I dont have an xd 357, or any 357 sig for that matter. Have got some trigger time with a friends glock 32 though. It's already been said, but I guess I'll say it again; 357 sig seems to shoot alot like a 40. All around it's probably a little flatter shooting than any other xd calibers and will have more slightly more penetration. The difference is probably pretty minimal in real world shooting.

As raptor1956 said, the biggest issue is ammo price/availability. Its a great little round, but not necessarily found everywhere. When I shot my buddies glock 32, the range/gun shop near his place didn't carry 357 sig, so we had to drive to wally world to pick up some ammo. Something to consider IMO

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have an XD357Sig, 4 inch Bbl/Service. And an XD45 Service & an XD40Sub Compact. I reload for all, and several more.

Ballistic software or some sandbags, patience/practice and 50 yards will show that a typical 9mm at 1200fps 124gr bullet hits 1/2 inch lower at 50 yards than 357Sig at 1400 fps, similar bullet. The 40S&W (165gr/1150fps) hits about 3/4 inch lower than the 357Sig and the 45acp (185 gr/1000fps)) hit 1+ inch lower than the 357SIG. All guns zeroed at 25 yards. Flatter trajectory?-yes; noticeable? YBTG.

At 125 grain, 4-6inch barrels, standard loadings of the 357Sig generally exceed the 357Magnum velocity with similar weight bullet in standard loadings (hence greater energy).

Free recoil numbers are similar to the 357Mag (8-8.5 lbs). With both guns fully loaded, a 357sig pistol has slightly less than a 357Mag revolver--there is 11-14 oz difference in actual gun weight and a recoil spring to account for, not included in the free recoil mathematics. Once half the typical 11-13 rounds are expended from the auto pistol, it's recoil slightly exceeds that of the revolver. The recoil impulse curve is also different. Most shooters think that the 357sig is sharper. Recoil is very subjective. Shoot the 380 acp from a PPK/s; recoil is about 3 lbs. The PPK/s will be much sharper than the 357Sig.

Ammo variety is very low commercially (bigger retail outlets are generally stocked with a few boxes); usually just 125gr HP offerings. Many major manufacturers provide suitable 124/125 grain bullets-many are specially marked. Reloading can be slightly more complicated than typical straight-walled pistol calibers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts