Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a service model XD357 that I bought almost a year ago. I have probably only less than 800 rounds through it. ( I know, pretty low - but I was in the academy and using a Sig - I use the XD for home). I've been having the problem of it not feeding the first round from a full magazine. I'm using Speer Gold Dot and all stock parts on the gun. It doesn't happen every time - but I always notice it happens with full mags. Changing mags hasn't helped. It appears the round get stuck on the ramp. I also have a sub-compact and have not noticed the problem with it. I've emailed SA and asked if it would be covered under warranty -- still no response from them.
Does anyone know if it is..and if so, have they been putting on the armory kote while it is there? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Did you load more than 12 rounds into the mag? When you chamber the first round, dont ride the slide forward, let it slam home. Also, it could be that there is a rough spot on the feedramp that may need to be polished out or it could also be a stiff mag spring. Does it happen with all mags? I would let Springfield polish the ramp and I bet it would help. I noticed tat my Tactical that I just bought came with the ramp already polished, noe of our other XD's came fromt he factory like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only had 12 in the mag (its capacity)
I let the spring do its work by not riding the slide forward
I don't see any marks on the ramp - at least no visible chunks

This is the one reason why (at this point) I won't be using it as my primary duty weapon.

I'm anxiously waiting on SA response.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been about a week and still no reply from SA...had to send it to Sales dept. and ask them to forward email to warranty/repair dept. I guess I'll end up calling them. I like email better since I at least have a paperless paper trail!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I got my .357 XD, my first round would fail to feed . All I did was fully load the mags and left them that way for a couple of weeks. That solved my problem, I don't know if there was too much spring tension,but I have no problems now.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
tankeryanker said:
When I got my .357 XD, my first round would fail to feed . All I did was fully load the mags and left them that way for a couple of weeks. That solved my problem, I don't know if there was too much spring tension,but I have no problems now.
AGREED- Until these mags break in these mags are CRAZY tight. I would try breaking them in a bit. I would be very surprised if this did not fix the problem.

SA WILL fix your pistol if need be but honestly I doubt they will need to. Get those mags loosened up a bit and try it out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is this happening with the first round from slide lock, or is it with a loaded mag in the gun, and when you fire the first round then the first round from the mag jams?
If it's from slide lock, I have had alot of pistols do that, and even an AR15 that did that, but it never effected the guns ability to feed. Once the round was in the chamber, and fired the rest feed fine.
I also think that as the spring softens this issue will go away.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Let me know if you want to sell cheap! ;) Seriously...call them. I know you want a "paper" trail but you need to just pick up the phone and give them a call. Don't get upset because someone hasnt returned an email they havent read yet.

And seriously....if you do want to sell cheap I am interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the email from Megan at SA...shipped gun 5-10-05 with all 3 mags. I included a note asking if there was anything they would do now to prevent any future rust. I'll post what happens. I tried different mags to see if it may be a spring issue --- it happened on any mag I put in it. I noticed it is jamming on the frame feed ramp only. I am using Speer Gold Dot ammo. I'm assuming they will polish the ramp and that's it. We'll see. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Received FedEx package on Friday. One week exactly for repair. They recut barrel ramp, reamed chamber, tuned extractor and even refinished the slide (looks similar to a Glock coating). I haven't taken it to the range yet to see if I get the FTFs again. I am so far very satisfied with their customer service dept. They didn't upgrade my mags that I sent back...no problem since I did buy it before the ban was lifted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.