Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to give props to X-treme Grips. I ordered a set and they came as ordered and lightning fast. I had a few questions about installation and the e-mail responses were almost immediate. Can't wait to go tomorrow and give them a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a set of these and installed them on my XD40. The rubber version. They were not difficult to install, seem to adhere well, and make it a lot more grippy. I give them a thumbs up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got the rubber set on my .45 and love 'em. Cheap,easy to install,adhere very well,great grip texture. What's not to like.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I bought the black traction sand x-treme grips but have not put them on yet, currently have a Hogue grip on now, might order the rubber x-treme grips in the future...not sure what im gonna do with these sand grips brand new never used...seemed a little too grainy for my liking..possibly would shed after extensive use.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I put the rubber grips on my XDm Compact about a month ago and love it.
I made a number of modifications to the pieces while putting them on, including using leftover rubber for my three 13 rounds mags with Pierce Extensions.

I did have a problem with putting the grip on the back...so I just modified that too.

The laser cutting was spot on and worth the price imo. Time will tell how it holds up to staying attached but so far so good. Despite adjustments during install I've experienced no edge rolling at all.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just got my Xtreme rubber grips in a couple days ago.

When you install them on the backstrap, are they supposed to go down into the grooves in the backstrap or are they supposed to lay on top of the ridges? Same question for the front checkering. I haven't installed them yet, but just from laying it on the grip and seeing how it fit, seems like it fits nicely around the ridges on the side of the grip, but when it goes around to the front it seems to lay on top of everything. I figured the grips would go down into the grooves on the front like it does on the side.

It's fine with me if it doesn't go down into the grooves, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to install these wrong or something.

Can anyone post some close up pics of the front and back of the grip with the xtreme rubber grips on it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
When you install them on the backstrap, are they supposed to go down into the grooves in the backstrap or are they supposed to lay on top of the ridges?
Very good question! One I struggled with and put too much thought into for too long before installing them.
I finally realized that it they were not meant to go into the grooves: 1)The holes in the rubber wouldn't be round; 2)It would have been precision cut to fit into the grooves; and 3)More grip is needed on the back and front than the sides, therefore it made more sense for the rubber to lay on the ridges.
I honestly still can't figure out why they made the backs with round holes, or even why the cut-out isn't continuous around the entire back...?

I also had problems laying it on and having the curvature right (ie not creasing) so I cut it and only put on the bottom part:

Same question for the front checkering. I haven't installed them yet, but just from laying it on the grip and seeing how it fit, seems like it fits nicely around the ridges on the side of the grip, but when it goes around to the front it seems to lay on top of everything. I figured the grips would go down into the grooves on the front like it does on the side.
Exactly correct. During installation, after I thought about it for a while it made sense for the rubber to go on the ridges in front - for grip's sake. My guess would be that it goes between the ridges on the sides for purely cosmetic purposes:

Remember that extra rubber I had from cutting the back portion up? Look again at that last pic... I took a piece, trimmed some more and added it above the grip safety. It makes sense in my head to put some there but to each their own. Not sure if it actually helps but it feels good.

Also, being right handed I did not add the thumb piece on the right side. My trigger finger was getting a little grip from it so I took it off and it's more comfortable to me without it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
*Before anyone asks... Yes, it does bother me that I didn't install these as precisely as they were cut.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased the sandpaper version for my XDM 40 and love them. I too had issues with getting them spot on. Thankfully my wife is better at the "arts & crafts" stuff than i am (Her own words) lol. On a recent elk hunt it was raining and just generally crappy and i tried a few draws. Very tactile to the touch and no slip at all. I am thinking about picking up a XDM 40c here soon and think i will try the rubber grips on it. Great pics by the way!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks Pepsi!

The backstrap is a little weird with how they cut the holes in it and how it's shaped. I probably sat there for 15 minutes flipping the grip for the backstrap over and over trying to figure out which way was up on that thing.

It definitely seems that if you want the backstrap grip to actually lay into the grooves it would take some serious cutting those holes wider to make it fit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ah! Something else I did...

I have three full size mags, all in the #3 (large) size. All three sizes of rubber overlays they provide fit just fine on my three #3 mags.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, I put the grips on. I'm happy with them, even though I did mess up slightly on the back grip. It's slightly off center.

Here's a few pics. And ignore the coloring on the writing on my slide. It's wearing off big time and I've been to lazy to recolor it. Trying to decide on what I want to use to recolor it that will be a little more permanent. Used crayon last time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks really nice and I like the contrast.

I support your efforts to preserve your label. Perhaps a more permanent solution that would offer what you're looking for would be silver or gold leaf Just a thought with a thin super-glue finish over it would look really slick I imagine. I myself have never cared for the gold look, but the silver leaf is something I might explore.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nicely done ChaoP! I could not for the life of me get that back grip to lay on the curvature without creasing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks everyone

Nicely done ChaoP! I could not for the life of me get that back grip to lay on the curvature without creasing.
Ya the back grip was hard. I tried to get the very bottom lined up first and kind of worked my way up while trying at the same time to get that V on the top lined up right.

I did mess up a little on the back though. Like I said before, it's a little off center, and there is a very small bubble on the far left where the grip ends about half way up. I've tried a few times to get it out but it's still there. Not really noticeable unless you're looking very closely at the gun (don't even think you can see it in the pic) but I know it's there and it annoys me. It doesn't seem like I did something to cause that, I think there might just be a tiny little spot there where the adhesive isn't sticking

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm a DIY kinda guy and when I look at those grips this is what I see.

single sided sticky paper from crafts store. Can of spray in bed liner from Walmart. Spray the bed liner on the paper and let dry. Cut out grip pattern and seperate paper and protective backing and aply to grip.

I have been cutting my own sand paper grips for a few years now with great success. I have about .50 invested in each set of grips I have made. I am still using grip tape from the original roll I bought from Walmart for $10.00 several years ago. I have also kept all the templates I made for each set of grips incase I make another set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts