Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fired maybe 500 rounds of WWB 165gr FMJ through my pistol with never a problem.....until Sat.

I had it happen 5 times on Sat....The slide would lock to the rear and leave a spent casing in the chamber half ejected.

I'd flick the casing out of the chamber with my finger nail (no force at all required) and let the slide go forward and fire sometimes a few rounds or sometimes 20 rounds before it would do it again......

This got me worried because this is my concealed carry weapon! I've never had a single problem before with maybe 700 rounds through the pistol.

So changed over to my regular carry ammo to see what would happen.....UMC 180gr JHP's

I fired 100 rounds of it.....and twice, the slide locked to the rear but the rounds ejected. I don't think that I could have touched the slide lock...I was making a concious effort not to. And even if I did hit the slide lock on accident...that wouldn't explain the unejected casing with the other ammo.

Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
When this heppens in a 1911, the culprit is almost always the extractor..it usually needs tensioning.

On the XD? I don't know, but it sounds like an extraction problem.

-Bickboy240

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would remove and clean the entire trigger assembly along with the locking block. Residue was building up in mine after about 500 rounds and similar things starting happening. I disassembled it and cleaned everything out really well, not a problem since (1000 rds.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.....I'll give a real good cleaning and inspect the extractor.
I'd hate to send it to SA to get fixed if I don't have too....this is my only carry gun. Kinda hard to carry my .45 colt Vaquero concealed...lol.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If the extractor is damaged, buy a new one from ajames (xd-hs2000.com) or see if SA will just send you one...the money you'd save doing itself versus sending it back to SA via FedEx would get you 2 or 3 extractors!

That is if you're confident with taking it apart and working on it, you didn't state your level of knowledge 8)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the same problem with WWB. The little nipple on the slide lock release was actually touching the bullet in the loaded mag keeping the slide locked back, I shaved mine down a bit and it solved the prob. To check take the slide off and put in a loaded mag, then look to see if the nipple is touching the bullet in the mag while wiggling the mag. I haven't had the problem since but I mainly shoot UMC, so who knows. It very well could have been that my extractor is poop and works with everything but WWB most of the time.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have found XD extractors to be the weak link in the equation. I bought an XD with a faulty extractor, sent it to SA who promptly replaced it, then the new extractor started to fail again in about 1200 rounds. Finaly my local gunsmith worked on it and has been fine for about 2500 rounds now. It required camber angle increase towards the positive and tension tuning. Why SA could not do the job right themselves I do not know. My view of it is that the weapon could be improved with an external extractor like Glock, Walther, CZ and HK have. Never had a problem with those extractors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts