Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After exchanging emails with CHA-LEE and comparing pics of the slide I found that my slide was missing a chamfer opposite the extracter that was present on CHA-LEE's slide. I was originally planning on sending the slide to S.A. to have this addresses but a particularly nasty virus that I picked up on WORLDGUNS.RU meant that I was without email for at least a week. So, I got out a diamond hone and worked on duplicating the chamfer that CHA-LEE had on his slide. Started with a diamond bit in a Dremel to get it close and used a super fine diamond hone to give it a really smooth finish. All in all, it took me about 1/2 hour.

Currently I am using an old computer I drug out of the basement to link to the net. BTW, this virus is particularly nasty, it's blown out the bios on 2 motherboards during a repair scan. Which means that I will probably lose everything on the hard drives but my repair tech is going to take 1/2 of the mirror and mount it as a slave on an old Pentium 66 or 486 machine and see if it's possible to run a scan on a really ancient computer without flash bios. If so, I may get my data back but it's probably not likely. I would strongly suggest that WORLDGUNS.RU be avoided like the plague and ask that anyone seeing a link to this site here report it to the moderator. Fortunately I have most of my data backed up but re-installing all of my software is going to be a major pain. Basically, I learned the bitter lesson that I really should have been keeping my anti-virus software up to date.

Now for the range report. My feed issues always seemed to occur with the last 3 rounds in a magazine, with magazine number 2 being the most problematic. So, in my testing today I only shot with 3 round loads in the magazine with the most problematic ammo that I have encountered, the Winchester White Box 165 gn. range ammo. Ran 60 rounds thru magazine number 2 without one single hickup. Then I ran that last 40 rounds thru magazine number 1, which was also flawless. BTW, during this testing, I tried shooting offhand supported, off a bench rest, and one handed with both weak and strong hands. I also tried shooting in slow fire and with rapid fire faiure drills. My conclusion is that my feed issues are now 100% solved. I did not have one single instance where the gun didn't perform perfectly.

So, for those with fussy XDm's, I would suggest that you consider sending your pistol into Springfield Armory because I can see no reason why it cannot be made 100% reliable with any commercial ammo. In my case there were 2 areas that needed some additional detailing. Area number one was the fixed ejector, it had formed a burr on the underside at the tip due to a sharp corner from the factory and adding a 0.012 radius solved that. Area number two was a very small ledge on the slide opposite the extracter that was catching the case rim as it was fed up the breech face. If I had a photo hosting service I could post pictures of the detailing that I did on my gun but I don't. For those who want pictures, email me and I will send them to you, however keep in mind that it will be at least another week before I'll have a computer that can access my email and have the software for my D300 installed, so don't expect a reply for at least 2 weeks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,690 Posts
I hope the boys in Croatia aren't bowing to manufacturing pressure and speeding-up the machining process to increase volume.

S&W did that back in the day and took quite a hit on their reputation.

Let's hope for the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's a matter of speeding up the production process. It's more likely that my having a rather early serial number had more to do with it. Also, the areas that needed detailing were areas that could only be done by hand, not by a machine. My hunch is that they were still experimenting with the manufacturing process and my sample didn't have these areas detailed by hand. The good news is that it's VERY easy to fix. If I weren't so O/C about polishing everything I could have done all the work required in under 2 minutes with a Dremel and a diamond burr. BTW, my diamond burrs have a grit that is equivalent to an 80 grit sandpaper, which means they are pretty course, however they were dirt cheap. With enough money it's possible to get 400 or even finer diamond burrs made but they are costly. What took most of the time was getting the scratches from that burr smoothed out and, to be truthful, I don't think that leaving those scratches in place would have done any harm at all.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top