Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came up in another thread, just curious. Anyone out there willing to trade their Bi-Tone Slide 9mm service for my black one?

FTF western PA preferred but not necessary.

question since i have never shipped any gun parts before... would this have to be through ffl?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btt

·
Registered
908 Posts
My 9mm is a bi-tone.

Someone oughtta take advantage of this though, I'm sure, so BTT for ya.

You don't have to use a FFL to ship a slide or most other parts.
If you ship the FRAME, you must use a FFL...

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
CopeyXD, just get your slide refinished.
All you have to do is ship them the slide.
You can send it regular mail.
I had mine hard chromed along with the controls..

Todd at http://customizedcreationz.com/ can hard chrome it.

Or look into this place, CCR-REFINISHING
I'm going to send him one of Sigs for some Cera-plate and Cera-hide work.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought about that, but that does cost $$$. if someone has a bitone and is looking for a black slide (maybe to CC it better) a trade would be cheaper than both of us recoating... anyone?

·
Registered
32 Posts
not to thread crap but to trade and ship a slide only it might be rasonable cost wise but then you are both left guns whos slide and frame s/n's do not match.

On the other hand if you want to swap the complete gun to maintain the s/n's unless you do it face to face the shipping and FFL fees will be just about the same cost as sending your current slide out to be coated.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Personally if I had the opposite situation as him I'd do it. Though in my case I'd never ever ever buy a pistol with a bitone. I might buy a shiny 1911, but any plastic gun will be black or maybe maybe green.

If i couldn'nt get an XD, but bitone, I'd be doing this swap in a heartbeat. Because unless I have to, I don't sell my guns, and I don't care for the cheaper ones that the SNs match.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
not to thread crap but to trade and ship a slide only it might be rasonable cost wise but then you are both left guns whos slide and frame s/n's do not match.

On the other hand if you want to swap the complete gun to maintain the s/n's unless you do it face to face the shipping and FFL fees will be just about the same cost as sending your current slide out to be coated.
That's what I was thinking, too. I'm not sure I would want to be subject of a traffic stop with a LEO that might not be overly ccw friendly and have him/her asked to check the serial number on my weapon. Too different serial numbers on one weapon sends up red flags. It may well prolong your stop.

There may be a legal problem doing this as well. There is a reason they put the serial number on different parts of the weapon.

I think the safest thing would be to just trade both weapons outright.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
...On the other hand if you want to swap the complete gun to maintain the s/n's unless you do it face to face the shipping and FFL fees will be just about the same cost as sending your current slide out to be coated.
Thats true, you can get some coating professionaly done for about $50 bucks... Doing a swap does sound cool though...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really don't think there is any legal problems in having different s/n's on the slide and frame seeing as the only registered part is the frame. I know not all manufacturers put s/n's on the slide for instance my Kel Tec PF9 only has them on the frame, same with all of my Sigs. I know Glock and XD's have them and Glock also puts them on the barrel.

As stated above I would be more worried about a traffic stop or if I ever decided to sell it I know me as a buyer would be turned off with different s/n's on different pieces.

I think honestly the best thing to do would be to completely swap guns or go for getting the slide re-coated.

I am getting ready to send my Glock slide and barrel off for coating and all said and done I am only looking at about $90 total and in the end I still have the same gun that I have had since new and am familiar with. Last time I did a swap I paid almost $50 for shipping and $25 for the transfer, not to mention the time involved with bringing mine to the FFL to have it shipped and going back to pick up the one that was shipped to me.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i never considered the s/n never matching. i think i will go with getting my slide redone, after i get a little wear in it. or as soon as i have found emplyment, just getting another xd to fulfill my bitone craving. thanks for all the imput guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts