Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Kimber Pro TLE/LR II

I have had an odd issue with the weapon locking the slide back (as if to say the magazine was empty) about every other or every third round. Any ideas as to what might cause this?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, more knowledgeable than me will be more helpful, but I'll start with: how many rounds through it total, what kind of mags, what kind of ammo?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sure your not hitting the slide stop? Have you tried different mags?

·
Registered
538 Posts
No expert, but I have a TLE II myself, and I found a thumbs-forward grip hit the slide stop occasionally if I wasn't paying attention. Try shooting it with your other hand, see if it helps or hurts.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Definitely thinking that the number one culprit could be your thumb bumping it when firing. Definitely could be a mag issue as well.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I would definitely agree with the others about bumping the slide stop. After almost 10 years shooting 1911s I somehow developed that habit last year and had to really focus on my grip to correct it. As suggested above, shooting left handed will rule that out.

If that's not it, I'd take a look at the inside edge of the slide stop and see if there are any copper marks on the tip. Occasionally, the on some gun/mag combinations, top round will bump the slide stop while feeding causing this problem. I've had a few builds which needed a few strokes with the file.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
umm either your hitting the slide stop so let someone else shoot it, if it still does it, your slide stop is out of spec.

IMO its a kimber I bet your slide stop is out of spec.Either too far into the magazine well, or the dimpling is insufficient so the plunger isn't adding enough force to hold it down.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My bargain basement one does that, not quite as frequently, but I fire left handed and my trigger finger hits the slide stop on recoil. That can definitely be a problem.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
My bargain basement one does that, not quite as frequently, but I fire left handed and my trigger finger hits the slide stop on recoil. That can definitely be a problem.
why do you take your trigger finger out of the trigger gaurd before the recoil is over?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had this issue with my eclipse and it was due to an out of spec slide stop. A couple passes with the file and it was good to go. I eventually just replaced it with an Ed Brown slide stop.

To see if it is the slide stop just tear it down and look for copper deposits on the nub that extends into the mag well that catches the mag follower.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My 1973 Colt Combat Commander did this.

Turned out, the factory slide stop was out of spec. It only takes a few 1000's of an inch to cause this.

Be VERY careful, when taking a file to the back side of the slide stop...I did just that to my Colt's slide stop and would up taking off too much and the thing never locked the slide back from then on! Lesson learned....easy does it! LOL Again, I only hit it with a few strokes of a very mild file.

Would up replacing the slide stop with a Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stop. the Wilson unit dropped right in and five years later...this problem has never come up again.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
My last purchase was a LE trade in.
Carried, I don't think it had hardly too many rounds through it.
Although it appeared to be left uncleaned. After inspection of no pits.
It shot flawlessly, then it started with the occasional slide lock, to the full on problem you are experienceing now. Then locking back after EVERY shot.

I almost threw it in the desert after every range trip.

I ended up doing all the sugggestions posted.

Then I stripped it down and threw the parts in a ziplock bag filled with remoil for about a month.

It now shoots fine.

I also would try a magazine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes, try Kimber first. Some say their CS is not good, but the few times I have called to ask questions, I got friendly people on the line and answers I was looking for. I think that Kimber is well awarre of the bad press they get on the web for terrible customer service and are trying to do something about it. Good for them.

THEN...if Kimber is a no go, call Wilson Combat and order a Bulletproof Slide Stop. It will be the last slide stop you buy.

- brickboy240

1 - 16 of 16 Posts