Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy had a sweet shooting and cycling Marlin 1895G guide gun that he used to hunt with about 10 years ago, so it has always been on my list of "wants".

So I picked up a new 1895GBL, after a couple days of sitting in my safe I tried running some rounds through the gun to cycle the action. It kept jamming and not feeding correctly. Never fired. So I called my LGS and asked his opinion. "Bring it back and we'll swap it for another one". BUT no more 1895GBL's at his distributor.

Ok, order an 1895SBL, and I'll pay the difference. I pick up the 1895SBL today, and come right home and try to cycle a few rounds. 3 out of 4 failed to feed out of the magazine without jiggling or re-cycling the lever, and the last round and now jammed in the receiver and the lever won't budge.

What a bunch of garbage these new guns are. Wicked pissed because I loved the 1895G but didn't care for the straight stock and small lever, and was psyched for the GBL model with the full length magazine tube, pistol grip laminated stock and big loop lever.

And I guess the SBL retails for close to $1000. I had to calm myself down from trying to throw the POS out my shop window.

Tim

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Marlin’s New 1895 SBL .45-70 Lever Action Rifle

TAKE YOUR COMPLAINT TO MARLIN

Maybe they have a bad batch or maybe machine burrs or something, check your rounds
From the site
The Marlin 1895 SBL was very reliable, handling easily every handload and factory load tried. I did encounter one problem early on, that I traced to a damaged magazine tube. The gun arrived in a box that had been pretty well abused in transit, but the rifle looked okay. However, it would only accept four rounds into the mag tube. Trying to load a fifth would jam the follower. There was no visible damage to the tube, but checking it with a dial caliper revealed that it had been hit on the mag tube, which resulted in an out-of-round tube, with a tight spot about six inches from the muzzle end. A quick call to Marlin had another tube here in two days, and replacing the tube fixed the problem. The magazine now accepts a full payload of six rounds, for a total loaded capacity of seven. Whether the SBL’s six rounds is an improvement over the Guide Gun’s four depends upon the situation. Personally, I like the higher capacity. It gives the SBL a decided advantage over any bolt action big game rifle, while still maintaining the excellent handling qualities of the Guide Gun. The SBL has an overall length of 36.5 inches, and my sample gun weighed in at 7 pounds, 6.8 ounces. With the Leupold scope in place with Warne Quick Attach rings, it weighs 8 pounds, 3 ounces. The trigger pull measured a crisp three and three-quarters pounds.
Pics would be nice

Its RARE to get lemons from Marlin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marlin’s New 1895 SBL .45-70 Lever Action Rifle

TAKE YOUR COMPLAINT TO MARLIN

Maybe they have a bad batch or maybe machine burrs or something, check your rounds
From the site

Pics would be nice

Its RARE to get lemons from Marlin
Well the 1895GBL went back to the LGS for return to Marlin or distributor.

Give me a minute and I'll snap of pic of the disabled 1895SBL in my safe.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
i was reading more about marlins lately since i wanted another one and found MANY stories and pics of crap quality gun being sent out. apparently since remingtons parent company took over and factories/employee's changed it hasnt been the same.

search around online.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
i was reading more about marlins lately since i wanted another one and found MANY stories and pics of crap quality gun being sent out. apparently since remingtons parent company took over and factories/employee's changed it hasnt been the same.

search around online.
AH...methinks there might be a problem

Remington is usually spot on as well...however I do know my 870 doesn't like feeding those short brass(aluminum) birdshot shells

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are with brand new Hornady Lever-evolution 45-70 rounds.

It's a beautiful gun, I was really hoping it would be flawless. A new gun should not have issues.

I looked around online after the first gun, and found the "marlin fix" Forget that, I'm not machining a brand new gun, just so it functions the way it should out of the box.

Some people put their lives on the line and depend on these guns. As a gun designed to take down any game species in North America including the dangerous game, I'd pick something else.

Tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both of the guns...the 1895GBL and 1895SBL both had the "MR" prefix to the serial number, which apparently indicates it was made in the Remington plant.

Tim

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
These are with brand new Hornady Lever-evolution 45-70 rounds.

It's a beautiful gun, I was really hoping it would be flawless. A new gun should not have issues.

I looked around online after the first gun, and found the "marlin fix" Forget that, I'm not machining a brand new gun, just so it functions the way it should out of the box.

Some people put their lives on the line and depend on these guns. As a gun designed to take down any game species in North America including the dangerous game, I'd pick something else.

Tim
I don't think that fix is the issue....a new gun shouldn't have feed/jam problems...they are referring to rifles with THOUSANDS of rounds thru them

Marlin94Fix

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what should I do? I know I can get the round out of the gun, but I don't think I should need to be digging a round out of a brand new unfired gun. If it was just this one round the got stuck, ok, maybe it is just new and needs to be cycles a bit to free up, but not one round fed into the gun smoothly.

Tim

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
So what should I do? I know I can get the round out of the gun, but I don't think I should need to be digging a round out of a brand new unfired gun. If it was just this one round the got stuck, ok, maybe it is just new and needs to be cycles a bit to free up, but not one round fed into the gun smoothly.

Tim
Try a few hundred cycles w/o rounds in it...maybe it has burrs

Have you disassembled it (after the cycles) and looked if there is any heavy metal on metal contact then clean it well

I would call Marlin honestly...explain what is happening and see if they know what could be the issue

Even finely tuned machines need a wee bit of break in period (unless you spend THOUSANDS on them to have them built pre-broke in)

·
Registered
1 Posts
the problem is the hornady lever evo. ammo. the tip slides to the side of the tube then each round slides on the back of the one in front of it. the tube stop is flat. try any non tipped round that should work. you can take the tube plug out and drill it to except the nose of the hornady as well. as far as the jam........screw driver works! i have the same gun and had the same issues.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Wow...that is odd.

Dad has an older 1895 Marlin and it is slick and never jams.

Both my 44 and 357 1894s feed just fine as well. Ditto for my Model 39 22.

Marlin's QC has REALLY gone downhill...they used to be fantastic rifles.

- brickboy240

1 - 13 of 13 Posts