Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a single shot .410 for my little girl, she wants to squirrel hunt with daddy, and I can't pass that up. Looking to spend right around $100. Please PM me with what you have for sale. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My local gander mountain had Rossi 410 for $89 or $99 depending on whether it had wood or synthetic stock. You could get it in full size or youth.

I love 410 (just see my website, link in sig) but I would suggest, if she is big enough, a 28 or 20 gauge would probably server her better. The 410 is a great shotgun to teach a child the principals of shotgunning but with its limited range it is not always the best gun for a child's first hunting shotgun. If she really needs the 410 due to her size make sure the gun fits her well and she gets lots of practice. That will help both her safety and her confidence and she will be less likely to get frustrated and not want to do it any more.

rambling
mcb

·
Registered
158 Posts
My brothers and I each got H&R single shot 20 gauges as our first shotguns. Can't begin to count how many quail and squirrel were taken with them. There was a 410 gauge floating around the house too, which was also used once in a while when we were feeling like things were getting too easy with the 20's. I believe they were sub $100 new, and are probably still pretty close in price to that even today, though I believe they are now under the name New England Firearms. These guns are as basic as they get. Mine has been indestructible. I would definitely recommend if looking for an inexpensive single shot. I do not plan on ever getting rid of mine.

One thing to keep in mind with the "small" shotguns: My dad bought these for use because we were still young/small, and these shotguns looked the right size. However, my single shot 20 is so small/light that it absorbs no recoil. It hurts more to shoot than any of my 12 gauge pumps. A 410 will be much less spunky, but keep this in mind if purchasing for a smaller shooter...

~ Centerfire

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rossi - Youth Matched Pair - 2 barrel combo on sale in this area (advertised in the Kansas City Star today). You can get a 410 / 22lr combo or a 20 ga / 22lr combo for $ 89.98 after rebate.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rossi - Youth Matched Pair - 2 barrel combo on sale in this area (advertised in the Kansas City Star today). You can get a 410 / 22lr combo or a 20 ga / 22lr combo for $ 89.98 after rebate.

Same sale being run here in VA.

Buddy of mine got one for his son a year and a half ago. We've used it at 2 Boy Scout shooting camp outs, both the shotgun and rifle barrels.

I'm pretty impressed with it for that price.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a recoil pad on it. Light weight shotgun with out recoil pad can be painful to shoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts