Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a SW 686 6" this week and met a friend to try it out. He brought his 'improved' 686 and his ammo and I brought mine.
We shot eachothers guns and ammo.
His hammer spring has been lightened and I wanted to see if his gun would lite off my Winchester primers (it did). He uses federal as they're softer.

I'm using 2.7 bullseye and 148 DEWC, he's using same load with a 148 DEWC. As it was 17F we shot indoors, off a rest at 7 yards - wanted to test the new (well, used) gun, not me.

What we found out was the DEWC while good, isn't close to the HBWC in accuracy. I might to expect to see a marked difference at 25 yards, but at 7?
Yep.
The HBWC would put 6 in a ragged hole, eitehr shooter, either gun, single or DA. Say 3/4" group
the DEWC would but 4 maybe in a ragged hole and then a couple out from it..say 1.5-2" group.

Neither of us expected to see much difference at 7 yards let alone such a big, repeatable difference. And the only difference is the style of bullet.

On a really good note my 'new' 686 is beautifully accurate, more with the right ammo. I'm expecting record scores in next years PPC league!

Now to decide what, if any, change I want to do the sights.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Testing that close is useless & sometimes won't tell the whole story. Not unlike flat base or boat tail bullets in rifles. Test them both at say 50ft, but I suspect the hbwc still the most accurate.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It has been years since I shot for groups for a prize, but when I did HBWCs were the bullet of choice in 38spcl. DEWCs have been around a long time, but I can't recall anyone who found them as accurate in low powered loads. If you get to mid-range stuff with enough power to compromise the hollow base, then DEWCs might be better, but by then someone might still prefer another bullet shape. And, like Fred, I would back off a bit more anytime you are shooting for group. 15yrds to 50ft would seem a reasonable distance to test pistol rounds, though the old standard was 25yrds.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
w were shooting inside due to time of year - it's dark here by 5 and cold and wet outside...had rain or snow flurries or such every day but one in the past 10..today and yesterday were dry but snow the next 3 days.
Always dry and lit inside!

I"ve been told HBWC were better than DEWC but HOW much better was what I found to be amazing. DEWC I can get locally and about 20% cheaper than HBWC.
But 3000 HBWC came in last week plus some brass...got the bench back together last night (new furnace was installed) and should be loading later this week. Then I can maybe test at greater distances for more concrete answers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read an article once, that said you could load a HBWC open end "out" as a Defensive round (Old school) I wish I could remember more about it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I read an article once, that said you could load a HBWC open end "out" as a Defensive round (Old school) I wish I could remember more about it.
Its called a "flying ashtray
Its called a "flying ashtray" and gives some impressive expansion at lower velocities.

don

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I too remember that practice, but forgot the "flying ashtray" designation... thanks for that Don! I did myself load some like that in the early 70's for experimental purposes using a 38Spcl, and because actual hollowpoints were few and far between and not that reliable anyway. The reversed HBWC thing does work, but again, like Don mentions, it is best to relegate them to lower velocities as they will come apart easily when pushed.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
bunny fart hollow points that expand. cool. Im gonna try some reversed hollow 148s and bullseye and see how they do thru a jug or two water and maybe some other material in the way too. sounds fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts