Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE - For those who don't like long-posts, long story short - Detail strip = easy, many gun shop employees = idiots.

Ok, I'll be honest, when it comes to detail stripping, the most I have ever personally tried was on my Glock 17 or my Ruger 10/22. I've avoided doing it to my 1911s because so many gun shop employees tells me it's "God-Awful Hard" to do this detail strip.

After looking over a friend's shoulder as he does gunsmithing on 1911s, tonight I just said, "eh, what the hey" and decided to try this "gunsmith-only task", as far too many gun shop employees have told me.

I could not believe how easy it was. Yes, it had more parts than the Glock (though not by much), but it was so easy and simple, with the only tool I needed was the small l-shaped tool for the MSH (Springfield ILS) and my Swiss Champ, though I did use a Wilson Combat Versa-Tool to make it a little bit easier on some parts. I probably wouldn't have even needed to use the Versa-Tool with the availability of this Swiss knife.

On reassembly, I wasn't the most confident on the way I had put the seer and disconnected together, but after some examination and some double-checking on a picture that I have stored on my computer, I got everything installed perfectly.

What I had done was remove the match trigger that I had installed in this old Springfield GI-45, to go back to the stock WWII look (Minus the higher profile sights and rubber Hogue grips). It occurred to me that, while I love this 1911, I'd rather keep this one in the car for defense than my Springfield Loaded for longer periods of time.

All that being said, the function check worked perfectly, and I'm 100% confident that this gun is ready for carry now, though I plan on taking a few test shots tomorrow morning... just to be safe.

So what's the point of this post? Don't listen to those gun shop fools when they tell you that it's a gunsmith-only task to detail strip the 1911; if you can field-strip it, you can detail-strip it.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Don't listen to those gun shop fools when they tell you that it's a gunsmith-only task to detail strip the 1911
Absolutely. The 1911 is so simple to detail strip. I actually have more confidence in detail stripping my 1911's than I do my XD40.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That, and the parts are made so that they can be used as tools to help you do the job. :)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
That, and the parts are made so that they can be used as tools to help you do the job. :)
Yup, remove slide stop with fingers, remove firing pin stop with slide stop, remove MSH housing pin, hammer pin and sear pin with firing pin... remove hammer strut pin with nuclear bomb and anvil.... :D

The only "External" tool required to completely disassemble the firearm is either a flat head screwdriver OR a fired 45acp case to remove the grip screws (If you have an actual GI model firearm)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This video helps, and a bonus soundtrack if you like 80s music! :mrgreen:

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just did my first 1911 detail strip on my Loaded. I havent even fired it yet. But I like to clean things out and know there is nothing foreign in there before shooting my new guns.

Like you said, it was really easy. It took me a minute or two to get the leaf spring back in place...but it didnt take me long to figure out how to put the MSH back on part way to hold it.

I could do it with simple tools or a multi-tool IF my grips weren't torx heads...I got a torx driver for those.

J.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
zulu45, when you get really good at detail striping and re-assembly, try going to a store, ask to see one of the 1911's, and proceed to take it apart. Usually they start to freak out when you take the barrel out of the slide. I only do this on stock guns and it most always gets a rise out of them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
zulu45, when you get really good at detail striping and re-assembly, try going to a store, ask to see one of the 1911's, and proceed to take it apart. Usually they start to freak out when you take the barrel out of the slide. I only do this on stock guns and it most always gets a rise out of them.
This is always a great boring day exercise when there's a young kid behind the counter....

Don't forget to start walking away while it's in pieces to hear the ever so wondering, "Sir, SIR!".

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am literally cracking up laughing at this idea. I could just imagine the faces of some of these employees who said it's for a gunsmith-only.

If I ever buy a used 1911, though, I'll definitely do this. I won't buy a used one without detail-stripping and examining it inside and out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts