Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I’ve been getting the new rifle fever. Currently for rifles I have: a bolt action 30-06 hunting rifle; a .22 cal Marlin 60; and an AR15 with removable carry handle iron sights. I like to go to the range once in a while to punch paper and stay sharp. I also hunt. Mostly I use my scoped 30-06, and the AR15 just gets used once in a while if I want to carry a light rifle into the woods. My AR is fun to shoot but I rarely take it to punch paper since it’s not the most accurate; its mostly there in case of major civil unrest and the need to defend my “castle” arises.

So when I go to the range with my 30-06 I’m pleased with its hunting accuracy but I’m the kind of guy that wants to hit bullseye every time. This has had me wanting a more accurate bolt action rifle. Now I have a friend that has offered me top dollar for my AR15 and I’m very tempted to sell it to him so I can get a better bolt gun such as a Remington 700P or even a Savage 110BA (link)
Savage 110 BA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At the moment it seems like a good idea because I’d probably enjoy shooting it more; but I’m hesitant to let go of my “zombie apocalypse” weapon. Especially since I’ve already got a nice cache of ammo and magazines. So I’m just wondering what would you do?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I'm curious as to what your bolt gun now is. And the savage 110 is a precision sniper rifle, not really a hunting rifle in my opinion.

If your bolt gun is a quality piece, not necessarily the best, but good, you may want to get a new higher dollar scope and new rings. That will help you out a lot.

I wouldn't want to give up the AR. Never know when you might need that.

FWIW my long range hunter is a savage 111 in .270 win with a 3-9x40 Nikon buck master. It is really accurate with every factory ammo I've tested, and I probably don't even have more than 150 rounds through it. It likes core lokt 130 grain psp's and will put them into 3 inches at 200 yards. That's more than good enough for me. I'm not a sniper.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I would never sell a gun that I even think I might even remotely regret, because you will end up regretting it. Sell the 30.06 for whatever you can get, and put that towards the new 700, even if it means saving up for a while. Half the price of the Savage, and all the accuracy you need.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
My new rifle is an old 30-30, 1894 win. It is a brush gun with irons, useful to 200 yards if I do my part and wear my glasses.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You did not say what brands/makes the 30-06 and AR are....that is huge in making a decision. We also don't know what scope you have on the 06...again...huge in the decision making process.

Many 30-06 sporting bolt guns can benefit greatly from an upgrade in optics, better ammo and maybe a trigger job. That is cheaper than a new rifle.

Unless the AR is a very cheapo Olympic or a DMPS Sportical....I'd probably keep it.

My guess is that with a scope upgrade, trigger job/replacement and maybe some Norma or Federal Premuim 30-06 ammo....you can totally change the groupings of the 06 bolt gun.

I know my sporterized 03 Springfield shoots VERY different using cheapo Wal Mart Winchester plain wrap versus Federal Premuims with Nosler bullets.

I'd be hard pressed to ditch the 30-06...that is a very versatile round.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You did not say what brands/makes the 30-06 and AR are....that is huge in making a decision. We also don't know what scope you have on the 06...again...huge in the decision making process.

Many 30-06 sporting bolt guns can benefit greatly from an upgrade in optics, better ammo and maybe a trigger job. That is cheaper than a new rifle.

Unless the AR is a very cheapo Olympic or a DMPS Sportical....I'd probably keep it.

My guess is that with a scope upgrade, trigger job/replacement and maybe some Norma or Federal Premuim 30-06 ammo....you can totally change the groupings of the 06 bolt gun.

I know my sporterized 03 Springfield shoots VERY different using cheapo Wal Mart Winchester plain wrap versus Federal Premuims with Nosler bullets.

I'd be hard pressed to ditch the 30-06...that is a very versatile round.

-brickboy240
My Savage 111 30-06 (accustock model) has a Millet 4-16x50 mil-dot scope. It shoots about 3-5 MOA cold then once it gets hot I can get 1 to 1.5 MOA groups with Federal blue box 180gr soft points. Thats the ammo it likes the most besides Matchking 168gr. I would like to upgrade to a heavy barrel for better consistency but then it would touch the stock....I can't upgrade the stock because its an Accustock model. But I dont plan to sell the 30-06 just yet; unless I get a new gun that suites me better. So just to clarify- The new bolt gun would be mostly target shooting with possible/occasional hunting use.
My AR is a Stag Arms Model 1 with A3 upper. I had a scope on it before but that type of gun just isnt as accurate unless you change it all up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of good feedback here folks. Y'all might be onto something about me regretting it. Although...with out my AR15 I could still hold down the fort with a pump shotgun, or my XD9. I would just miss having the 30rounders

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
My Savage 111 30-06 (accustock model) has a Millet 4-16x50 mil-dot scope. It shoots about 3-5 MOA cold then once it gets hot I can get 1 to 1.5 MOA groups with Federal blue box 180gr soft points. Thats the ammo it likes the most besides Matchking 168gr. I would like to upgrade to a heavy barrel for better consistency but then it would touch the stock....I can't upgrade the stock because its an Accustock model. But I dont plan to sell the 30-06 just yet; unless I get a new gun that suites me better. So just to clarify- The new bolt gun would be mostly target shooting with possible/occasional hunting use.
My AR is a Stag Arms Model 1 with A3 upper. I had a scope on it before but that type of gun just isnt as accurate unless you change it all up.
3-5 moa cold?? That is unacceptable even with standard soft point anmo.

My savage 111 in .270 will do much better than that cold with core lokts.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Have you tried any other ammo through your 30-06? What ammo have you tried through your AR-15? Have you tried ammo like Federal Gold Medal Match that is KNOWN to be accurate in most ARs through your AR-15 to truly test its accuracy? Do you know the twist rate of either rifle barrel? A lot goes into accuracy. I've never heard of a rifle starting worse and then doing better after heating up. I guess it's possible, but I've never heard of it. I know an inaccurate rifle can be put out by a factory, but since your 30-06 has an accustock, I guess it's a rather recent purchase (within the last 5 years). I've not heard of many inaccurate Savage rifles being out there recently.

Another inexpensive alternative if you like your Savage is to rebarrel it rather than replace the entire rifle. An aftermarket barrel for your Savage that will almost certainly be more accurate shouldn't cost more than $300-$350. Then you get to pick the contour and the weight and potentially the twist rate to suit your desires.

Edit: Just saw where you think you can't change the barrel because of the stock, but heavier doesn't necessarily translate to better. You might just have a poor barrel and an aftermarket barrel of the same weight could be MUCH better and still be useful for you to use hunting rather than lugging around a heavier barrel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3-5 moa cold?? That is unacceptable even with standard soft point anmo.

My savage 111 in .270 will do much better than that cold with core lokts.
Yep. 1st three shots are way off. I'm addressing the issue and should have it figured out soon. Might replace the barrel with a Shilen of the same profile.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried any other ammo through your 30-06? What ammo have you tried through your AR-15? Have you tried ammo like Federal Gold Medal Match that is KNOWN to be accurate in most ARs through your AR-15 to truly test its accuracy? Do you know the twist rate of either rifle barrel? A lot goes into accuracy. I've never heard of a rifle starting worse and then doing better after heating up. I guess it's possible, but I've never heard of it. I know an inaccurate rifle can be put out by a factory, but since your 30-06 has an accustock, I guess it's a rather recent purchase (within the last 5 years). I've not heard of many inaccurate Savage rifles being out there recently.

Another inexpensive alternative if you like your Savage is to rebarrel it rather than replace the entire rifle. An aftermarket barrel for your Savage that will almost certainly be more accurate shouldn't cost more than $300-$350. Then you get to pick the contour and the weight and potentially the twist rate to suit your desires.

Edit: Just saw where you think you can't change the barrel because of the stock, but heavier doesn't necessarily translate to better. You might just have a poor barrel and an aftermarket barrel of the same weight could be MUCH better and still be useful for you to use hunting rather than lugging around a heavier barrel.
Thats the plan. If I dont find anything else wrong then I'll probably just swap for an aftermarket barrel of the same profile. I've tried several different ammo types and weights and my 30-06 is happy with Ferderal Matchking 168gr, Hornady 165gr SST (hard to find right now), and Federal blue box 180gr soft points. That makes me happy because theyre not to expensive. As far as the AR goes...luckily it likes the cheap American Eagle 55gr FMJ. But with a heavy trigger, short barrel, and being semi-auto it just cant compete with bolt guns for accuracy....unless I spent money on it....which I dont want to do since its not a long distance hunting caliber. I'm not hating on the AR15 though.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Are you constantly cleaning your bolt gun? leave it dirty and accurate. A heavy barrel mainly increases "hot" accuracy. cold inaccuracy tells me something else is going on. I'm guessing its too clean.

If a friend was offering me top dollar for my AR, I'd take it and build another one. Were I to keep the AR, I'd put a scope on it.....and not a Chinese one either.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you constantly cleaning your bolt gun? leave it dirty and accurate.

If a friend was offering me top dollar for my AR, I'd take it and build another one.
My Savage shoots better with a fouled barrel. I clean it only when the groups open back up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would always keep an AR or two.. or three around. I picked up a 30-06 as of late as well, and am working on what reloads work the best for (a friend has all the equipment), but wouldn't get rid of the AR.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to keep my AR. But I sold my 30-06. I'm going to use that money to get a different bolt gun. I'm thinking about a custom Remington 700 build or a Savage 110FCP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts