Springfield XD Forum banner

Would you risk your family to defend a complete stranger?

• I have a family and I would risk them to defend a stranger.

• I don't have a family, but if I did, I would risk them defend a stranger.

• I have a family and I would not risk them to defend a stranger.

• I don't have a family, but if I did, I would not risk them to defend a stranger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stems from a pretty heated debate in Chatterbox. Don't let this turn into an extension of that. I just want some numbers.

This thread assumes you are not a LEO or soldier, just Joe Citizen going about his/her business.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The problem I see with this poll is a conflict of interest...

Would I risk MY life to save a stranger? Yes.

Would I risk someone elses life to save a stranger? Hmmm... tough call, and very open ended...

Would I risk the life of a family member to save a stranger? Thats a trick question, and very open ended...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If and only if I could first remove my family member(s) to safety first. If I have to decide between a stranger and staying with my family, the stranger better have some tools and skills.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
"I have a family and I would not risk them to defend a stranger" is not the same as "would not defend a stranger"

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Have you ever noticed when you see a TV news cast about a fight involving a small bunch of people that if the majority of people in the group are white and one is fighting a black it remains a 1 on 1 fight, but if the majority of people are black and one is fighting a white it is soon 5 or 6 blacks fighting the 1 white? Why do you think this happens? :-?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What a stupid question. I would not risk my wife's life for that of a stranger. The thread in question is not a scene out of batman... YOU CAN ONLY SAVE ONE CHOOSE NOW! I would put MYSELF in danger to help someone else. But then again I am a man of God and I believe in doing right by other people. I guess we are a rare breed now a days.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Wife , Kids , and grandkids to safety first . Then we will see about helping strangers .
In a word NO, but I too may come back to help once my family was safe, and it depends on what you are saving them from.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
The problem I see with this poll is a conflict of interest...

Would I risk MY life to save a stranger? Yes.

Would I risk someone elses life to save a stranger? Hmmm... tough call, and very open ended...

Would I risk the life of a family member to save a stranger? Thats a trick question, and very open ended...
I agree. The poll probably needs a few more options. I really can't answer it as is now.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I can see that many of you were never in combat. We often risked our lives and not being able to return home to save another we never really new. That sticks with you. As a Christian, my faith and beliefs also support helping others.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
I can see that many of you were never in combat. We often risked our lives and not being able to return home to save another we never really new. That sticks with you. As a Christian, my faith and beliefs also support helping others.
So, you'd be willing to risk your wife & children's lives in order to save a stranger?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Family always comes first hands down. Would I help a stranger, absolutely but not at the expense of a family member PERIOD. As stated by the OP:

This thread assumes you are not a LEO or soldier, just Joe Citizen going about his/her business.

so being in combat or not has no real validity here. As stated this is just your everyday oh sh!t situation where you would need to decide what is more valuable to you...the life of your family or the life of a total stranger. It may be horrible to have to watch as someone is put in harms way but IMO family always comes first. If they are safe then defending the person in harms way becomes the next main objective.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Would not risk my family. Period!

Now the other part. From an old soldier, there are times to act, and times to remain very very quiet. I am not on a suicide mission for anyone except possibly my family.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Would not risk my family. Period!

Now the other part. From an old soldier, there are times to act, and times to remain very very quiet. I am not on a suicide mission for anyone except possibly my family.

Well stated..^^^^

I have a life long obligation to my wife and I'm responsible for providing for my kids..
I can't do that if I'm killed saving others from harm.
Others should be responsible for their own personal protection, much like I (we) are.
Many of us carry daily and/or provide ourselves with a certain aspect of self defense of some kind, whether firearm related or not..
We took the time to learn and train to use our self defense tactics.
What we have learned is available to everyone, but for whatever reason, many chose not to pursue it.
It isn't up to me to save those people at the risk of losing my own life.
I'd rather be a lifetime good husband and father than a dead hero saving a stranger.

Would I help someone in need?
Certainly, but not at the risk of my own demise..

I didn't vote in the poll.
I didn't like the choices..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Would I risk my family, No. Would I risk my life, that's a judgment call depending on the situation. I'd have no issue with running into a burning building or jumping into water to save someone. I've fought fires and been in the Coast Guard. If it was a fight or gun play, I'd want the odd's somewhat in my favor. I would not need a guarantee to come out safe, but I'd at least on equal odds.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
You're looking at this incorrectly.

If you could save a stranger, I know you would. However, I'm pretty sure that if your family was in the car, you would not drive your car into a dangerous situation, would you?

If your wife volunteered to help, or son or daughter was 18 and volunteered, that's THEM placing their own lives in danger, not you.

If my wife and daughter were with me at the mall and an active shooter situation occurred, my first obligation is to see that my family is safe. After that, I may choose to help out someone else, but not before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts