Springfield XD Forum banner

Would you draw your weapon in this situation

• Yes

• NO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
No. I would have apologized, even if I was right.

I might have been ready to kick his ass. Or call the police. But deadly force would not be justified in court (in my opinion).

You've got to be comfortable when people are talking ****, or threatening, and comfortable with your abilities and the situations you could get into.

If you choose to carry a gun, shouldn't you have thought about what do I do if someone is trying to hurt me but not kill me?

If I was open carrying, I would have used a holster with a good retention system, or would have taken a class on handgun retention, for just this reason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Based on the 24 seconds of video...absolutely not. Walk away. Get out of there. But what does 24 seconds really show??? I know I'm new to this and have never OC'd or CC'd, but it seems pretty common sense that there are far better options than drawing...

But that's just based on this 24 seconds. Who knows what happened before hand or what happened after.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Like others have said, based on this 24 second clip, no I would not have drawn. But who knows what caused this argument to start (other than the picture of the guy), why it escalated like it did and what happened afterwards. How did he know he had a gun? Thats the real question. If he's open carrying, I can understand, but CC'ing, should be no way for the guy to know. You don't go running around saying "hey look at me, I've got a gun, dont mess with me!"

Take a couple steps back, get some distance and let him calm down. Tell him your sorry and that you will delete the photo. Should end the conflict right there. If not, you better be prepared to use what he already knows you have.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
From what I can tell, the guy with the camera should be arrested. He threatened the guy by saying "I've got a gun". If he was OC -- it was obvious and there was no need to bring that up. If he was CC, there was no reason to bring that up.

The guy in the brown started off polite enough and only got highly agitated AFTER the camera operator threatened him. Obviously, the guy in brown is not afraid of candy ass mall ninja's.

·
Registered
30,301 Posts
From what I can tell, the guy with the camera should be arrested. He threatened the guy by saying "I've got a gun". If he was OC -- it was obvious and there was no need to bring that up. If he was CC, there was no reason to bring that up.

The guy in the brown started off polite enough and only got highly agitated AFTER the camera operator threatened him. Obviously, the guy in brown is not afraid of candy ass mall ninja's.
I didnt hear the guy say he had a gun..... As for the guy in the brown, he's in a public place. He doesnt want to be videotaped, he should leave. Happens all the time in public places.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like others have said, based on this 24 second clip, no I would not have drawn. But who knows what caused this argument to start (other than the picture of the guy), why it escalated like it did and what happened afterwards. How did he know he had a gun? Thats the real question. If he's open carrying, I can understand, but CC'ing, should be no way for the guy to know. You don't go running around saying "hey look at me, I've got a gun, dont mess with me!"

Take a couple steps back, get some distance and let him calm down. Tell him your sorry and that you will delete the photo. Should end the conflict right there. If not, you better be prepared to use what he already knows you have.
Let me clarify a few points here.

1) I don't know why people are so concerned about someone taking an accidental snap shot of them. What am I going to do? steal your soul? perform voodoo? put you on people magazine or Forbes 500? To be honest I throw those ****en things away. they just ruined my shot of some sort of tourist attraction that I was trying to snap a picture of and you walked by camera.

2) There is a little ambiguity in the video so you can interpret and create your own scenario.

3) In my case I have two scenarios one where I say; "sorry, I didn't mean to and I will delete it right now." The guy thanks me and walks away.
In my second scenario the guy is still belligerent. I am concerned that he has no fear of an openly carried weapon which means one of two things:

a) He has a death wish

b) He is very confident that he can overpower me and remove the weapon from my possession.
In this case I don't draw my weapon but definitely keep my hand close by... just in case.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I didnt hear the guy say he had a gun..... As for the guy in the brown, he's in a public place. He doesnt want to be videotaped, he should leave. Happens all the time in public places.
Go back and watch it again. The man with the gun never said anything about it, but the dude who approached him shouted "I dont care if you have a gun. Pull it out, use it." Or something to that effect. So somehow, he knew the guy was carrying, whether that was because he OC'd of CC'd and told the guy, I dont know. Either way, not a good situation, and certainly not a situation I would have gotten myself into. Now I know I don't know what exactly happened, but I positive in saying that I wouldn't have gotten myself into that mess.

·
Registered
30,301 Posts
Go back and watch it again. The man with the gun never said anything about it, but the dude who approached him shouted "I dont care if you have a gun. Pull it out, use it." Or something to that effect. So somehow, he knew the guy was carrying, whether that was because he OC'd of CC'd and told the guy, I dont know. Either way, not a good situation, and certainly not a situation I would have gotten myself into. Now I know I don't know what exactly happened, but I positive in saying that I wouldn't have gotten myself into that mess.

The title of the video is "Open Carry Harassment"

·
Registered
832 Posts
The title of the video is "Open Carry Harassment"
Didn't even realize what the video was titled. Well now we know he was open carrying.

Unfortunately, the video doesn't show the whole situation, it gives us no insight to what was going on at the time. All I know is that the guy was OC'ing and took a photo of the other guy, supposedly. The said man became very angry and what I would consider borderline a threat. He was on the verge of being violent. One move of the hand, arm, or leg in the wrong direction and I would have pulled. If I'm going to openly carry it, make a documentary on people's opinions towards the subject, I might as well use it when in a case that needs me to. At that point in time of the video, it is not necessary, but it is close to being at a time where it may be needed. wish we had the whole scenario caught on tape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts