Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
very mixed reviews on them, I might consider it, but I'd have to do a lot more research.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had one that shot pretty good, however they can be a mixed bag. I currently have and IMBEL/IMBEL build that shoots very nice, and a springfield armory pre 89 ban SAR-48 that is sweet. I had the century FAL for a couple years, and even though it was not as nice as my other FALs it was certainly serviceable. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
not in the mail or internet, only if it was a real deal, i knew the owner, and he built it, or had it for years and shot it allot after he got it from CAI.

I would NOT waste the time or effort from dealing with CAI, these are one of the easiest rifles to build, but you cant expect anything from CAI, their sub contractors, or even full time employees.

Much better odds with Enterprise, and then much much better ods with DSA, or maybe even a factory springfield FAL from gun broker the sar4800.

Some times you can get by with a lil less and save money, but CAI is just a hell hole, filled with crap people.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you don't/cant do moderate level gunsmithing, then you may want to avoid (unless the price is right and you've verified that it works well).

Those who build/smith FAL/L1A1/1A1 etc. can occasionally find a very workable starting point with some of the older CAIs. I paid around $300 for a CAI sporter about 15 years ago. It had an Imbel receiver in perfect condition, an Enfield barrel with no corrosion or measurable throat erosion and a sand-cut carrier. It provided many of the parts that eventually became my current favorite FAL hybrid.

If you're wanting to buy one to shoot reliably out of the box, Century probably isn't the best choice. If you do buy one, make sure that you know what the origin/manufacturer of the barrel, bolt carrier, trigger housing (lower) and upper receiver is and what condition they are in. Some of them are a good find for the money and some are just junk.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
If you don't/cant do moderate level gunsmithing, then you may want to avoid (unless the price is right and you've verified that it works well).

Those who build/smith FAL/L1A1/1A1 etc. can occasionally find a very workable starting point with some of the older CAIs. I paid around $300 for a CAI sporter about 15 years ago. It had an Imbel receiver in perfect condition, an Enfield barrel with no corrosion or measurable throat erosion and a sand-cut carrier. It provided many of the parts that eventually became my current favorite FAL hybrid.

If you're wanting to buy one to shoot reliably out of the box, Century probably isn't the best choice. If you do buy one, make sure that you know what the origin/manufacturer of the barrel, bolt carrier, trigger housing (lower) and upper receiver is and what condition they are in. Some of them are a good find for the money and some are just junk.
damn thats even better than many of the good old day stories. 15 years ago you could get a complete fal built, on imbel receiver for $300. But with a used, but like new or excellent barrel ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
They were more than that in the gun stores, even back then. I got mine from a friend who never "bonded" with it emotionally. It wasn't overly accurate, the ammo cost more (wish it were still that cheap) and he didn't really get how to set the gas port (neither did I at the time) so it kicked like a mule and left your shoulder looking like a rotten banana after 20 rounds.

I had it for years and rarely shot it. I finally figured out the sweet spot for the gas port, but ammo was still expensive and it was far less accurate than my ARs so it stayed at home most times.

I figured I needed to fix it and like it or just sell it. I hate to sell guns and have only let go of a couple of guns over the years.

I sent the barrel to ADCO (Steve and those folks are great) and got it cut to 18" and recrowned. The decent crown versus the CAI hack job helped a lot with the accuracy. A DSA alloy lower helped the weight and appearance and a Jard trigger replaced the worst trigger in my entire collection. It's a keeper now.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've had 2 CAI FALs. One STG and one L1A1.

The STG has been a great rifle. The L1A1 was an abortion. I sold it as fast as I could.

I had a "known" FAL smith look over the STG and he said it was about the best CAI build he'd seen. The barrel was canted but he fixed that while he had the barrel off for threading.

I also have a CAI SAR1 (AKM), with the normal century barrel cant. Oh well, it shoots fine and I only paid $299.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts