Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have a wally, i suggest you get some reel grease used for a fishing reel. Its seems like good stuff, kinda a pricey though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i think someone i know used to use a wheel bearing grease. Maybe you can check an auto parts store. Also, watch this YouTube - Cleaning a Pistol I know its a glock, but same difference.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
the town i live in has jack for firearms stores and the couple that there is dont carry any gun grease i was wondering if this would work for lubing the slide on a automatic pistol since its the only stuff i can find locally besides regular gun oil.
https://secure.tcarms.com/store/index.php/a...3/prevstart/54/
I think I would pass on that "no seize" keeps jumping into my head as I read the description.
Mobil-1 will work on everything in your gun, not optimum for the slide but not so bad either. You MIGHT try white lithium grease from the auto department but I don't have any experience with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Mobile One or automatic transmission fluid work great. I've used ATF on many of my
guns.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second the Brian Enos Slide Glide. I have been using this on my pistols for a while now and it works awesome. Its main benifit is that it stays where you put it, unlike a lot of other lubricants out there. This means that it makes your gun shoot more consistant for a longer time between cleans. I recently ran 3000 rounds through my EAA Witness Limited between cleans over about a month and when I cleaned it the Slide Glide was still there doing its job and it was still shooting like a champ with no issues. For guys that clean their gun every time they shoot the Slide Glide might be a pain to clean up all the time. But if you like to shoot quite a bit between cleanings the Slide Glide is a must to keep things well lubricated the whole time.

Another advantage to the Slide Glide is that it does not "Seep" out of where you put it unlike a lot of other lubricants that tend to leak or seep out of where you placed it getting on things you don't want it to.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This question always amazes me. It amazes me because I assume that the people posting this are posting from their home, or work, or library. Which means, hey, this person has access to the internet. Which means, hey, this person could go to Google, search "Rem Oil" or "Gun Butter" or "gun lubrication", and then find somewhere online to buy the stuff.

Motor oil works for your car. It is NOT designed for handguns. I'm sorry if I seem like an @** here, but this drives me NUTS. You would not pour Rem Oil in your car, do not put motor oil on your gun.

Go online, find somewhere that sells it online, I assume you have a Post Office or a mailbox (like me, I live out in the boonies), if you don't have a credit card then find a site that will take money orders or find a friend with a credit card that you can pay back, and buy the proper lubricants for your gun, PLEASE.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This question always amazes me. It amazes me because I assume that the people posting this are posting from their home, or work, or library. Which means, hey, this person has access to the internet. Which means, hey, this person could go to Google, search "Rem Oil" or "Gun Butter" or "gun lubrication", and then find somewhere online to buy the stuff.

Motor oil works for your car. It is NOT designed for handguns. I'm sorry if I seem like an @** here, but this drives me NUTS. You would not pour Rem Oil in your car, do not put motor oil on your gun.

Go online, find somewhere that sells it online, I assume you have a Post Office or a mailbox (like me, I live out in the boonies), if you don't have a credit card then find a site that will take money orders or find a friend with a credit card that you can pay back, and buy the proper lubricants for your gun, PLEASE.

˙ןıo ɹǝɥʇo ןןɐ sɐ ʎɹǝuıɟǝɹ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ uı ǝpɐɯ ןıo ǝןɔɐɹıɯ ǝɯos ɹoɟ pǝǝu ou 'ʇɥƃıɹ sı sǝɯɐɾ ʇɐɥʇ ʎɐs ı

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
˙ןıo ɹǝɥʇo ןןɐ sɐ ʎɹǝuıɟǝɹ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ uı ǝpɐɯ ןıo ǝןɔɐɹıɯ ǝɯos ɹoɟ pǝǝu ou 'ʇɥƃıɹ sı sǝɯɐɾ ʇɐɥʇ ʎɐs ı
Wow. Huh?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

Utter, total, nonsense.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Motor oils: Generally good boundary lubrication (particularly the Havoline formulations), but very poor corrosion resistance and poor resistance to open-air oxidation. In addition, their pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren't a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis! ATF is better on every count, even if it is a tad more expensive. (ATF is still 1/10 to 1/100th the cost of a specialty "gun oil"!)
Automatic Transmission Fluid seems to be a great lubricant for guns, but motor oil? Not so much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts