Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some 30 round Taurus PT-92 mags and I was wondering, if I do the Beretta style modification, they should work in a XD-9 right? The PT-92 is just a Brazilian Beretta after all, only the magazine detent is in a slightly different spot. And yes, I know about slamming them in and breaking the ejector.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
manygunner said:
I got some 30 round Taurus PT-92 mags and I was wondering, if I do the Beretta style modification, they should work in a XD-9 right? The PT-92 is just a Brazilian Beretta after all, only the magazine detent is in a slightly different spot. And yes, I know about slamming them in and breaking the ejector.
'Right' in answer to your first question.

Yes, the Taurus is a knockoff of the Beretta but that is
where the similiarities end. Strangely, though many
think it will work, but the Beretta mags will not fit the
Taurus PT-92s, but, some of the Taurus mags will fit
the Berettas. Both manufacturers mags can be moded
to somewhat fit the HS2K/XD.

I only know of one part that is totally interchangeable
between the two, and that is the barrel.

Ions ago, we forum members found out that we could
modify certain mags to fit the HS2K/XD as it was very
legal to do so. Then along came problems with such a
habit, one of which you have referenced above, jamming
and breaking something on the machine by using the
modified mags.

They are your machines, and what you cram in them
is your business. If I could offer up a reconsideration
about using modified magazines, I do. With access to
the factory high cap mags now, I would not chance
screwing up a perfectly good machine by high capping
it with a modified mag of a different manufacturer.

Perhaps you have an idea about some sort of sleeve to
slide over the magazine that you are going to mod in order
to protect the machine from over insertion of the moded
mag. I surely hope so, as I am not a fan of moded mags
for the HS2K/XD. Seventeen or sixteen round factory mags
should be enough for the common man anyway.

Good shooting.

Ed

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ed
I agree completely with one exception. I have a few Beretta 92 mags that have been mod'ed to fit my XD, so the same magazines will fit my XD and my Beretta Storm. There are a few matches where I use both the XD and the Storm, so this is a matter of convenience. Otherwise, I almost always recommend original equipement by the original manufacturer.

Oh, and I actually prefer the Taurus PT-92, as it has cocked and locked capability. The Beretta 92 does not.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I recall when I purchased my XDSC 9, that there was a brochure in the case from SA about purchasing a 17 round modified Beretta mag from SA. Of course, that wouldn't be legal in Ca. in any case.

When I called, they said the sale was over and my gun must have been on the shelf for awhile since they weren't shipping that add anymore. So, I might be wrong, but I'm guessing since SA was selling it, it was a good mag maybe.

Bottom line, living in good ol' Ca., I don't have to worry about things like which hi cap mag to use, since Big Brother has restricted us to 10 round mags. to protect us from ourselves. :cry:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I had the same brochure offer of Beretta magazines in my XD box. That is what gave me the idea. I know that the mags are not interchangeable between the Beretta and the Taurus, but that is only a function of where the magazien retention cut is made. The area where the XD magazine release would be is untouched. I agree wholly on the sleeve trick. I have tried O-rings on the Beretta magazines to remedy this but did not like the results. I am now relegating those 17 round Beretta Mags to my wife's CX-4 Storm. I will put this project on the back burner for the time being until I figure out a sleeve trick. Maybe some of those XD-SC sleeves might work. Hmmmmmm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts