Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fun shop had a stainless PPK this weekend, first one I had ever handled and BOY did I like it!
What are the worst things about the PPK ( I think it was the longer grip model S I guess ) so I can at least have a fighting chance of resisting the buy that I can't really afford now? I'm not looking for a 38/380 so I don't want alternatives ( by pure chance a guy was in there with a Sig 232 which is a near dead ringer for the Walther but a bit larger ) just convince me how awful this gun is.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Its too pretty. And James Bond used one with a regular finish in many of his movies. Too cool of a gun.:D

Actual reasons I could give not to buy one are all hearsay about reliability problems. As I have not had any hands on experience with them I can't really give you any advice against the PPK.

But you say you can't afford it right now. And you aren't looking for guns in that caliber. So why bother getting that one either?

·
Registered
140 Posts
But you say you can't afford it right now. And you aren't looking for guns in that caliber. So why bother getting that one either?
Because James Bond had one.

I think his was in 32ACP- for when you really only want to irritate the bad guys.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
If it feels good do it..I have had my PPK for a very long time and love to shoot it.As far as reliability issues..If you increase the barrel jump (pretty technical sounding stuff,but very easy to do) it will eat anything you feed her.
Larry

·
Registered
29,768 Posts
Slide bite. If you have big hands, expect to have bloody shooting sessions.

·
Registered
566 Posts
the SS walthers are made here in the U.S. the older guns were interarms and the new ones are made by S&W.I sold my interarms earlier this year to a friend.great pistol no problems made to orginal walther specs.
the S&W they changed the design from the orginal walther and have heard there are a few problems with these.
my collection of walther is down now to 3. 1.PP super in 9x18 ultra and 2 PP's in 32.while some people will say the 32 isn't a good round well if they got hit with 8 32 win silvertip it might change their minds :D.it isn't my first choice for ccw but a excellent back-up pistol that slips right into my pocket.

here is a excellent write up.
A Critical Look at the Walther PP Pistol

38 Special or 380 ACP

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Very heavy double action trigger pull
little tiny sights
the .380 kicks worse than a .45 ACP
expensive
heavy

Chapie+

·
Registered
566 Posts
james was/is a puss:p.
now if your really into 32 auto..casting your own bullets sure makes it cheap to shoot.

100 year 1886-1986

pete

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Now I love Walther PPKs, but if you want some problems with it. . . Hmmm. . . Well it's very heavy for its caliber. You can easily find other .380s or .32s that are much smaller and lighter and have the same, if not greater capacity. Like someone said already, the sights are less than ideal.

Oh here's one, Hitler owned one. You wouldn't want a pistol that Hitler owned would you?

Honestly they are good little guns, and I hope to get one someday. Good luck trying to avoid that, lol ;)

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
its a .380... More expensive than .45ACP to shoot unless you reload. You can get 9x19 pistols not much bigger than the Walther. Its heavy, will bite your hands if they are the size of mine. But they are still a sweet shooting pistol thats time proven and copied... ever heard of a PA 63?

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
its a .380... More expensive than .45ACP to shoot unless you reload. You can get 9x19 pistols not much bigger than the Walther. Its heavy, will bite your hands if they are the size of mine. But they are still a sweet shooting pistol thats time proven and copied... ever heard of a PA 63?
how big are your hands? i ALMOST bought a pa 63 earlier this year, but decided against it, till i could try one out. I can just barely palm a basketball (but its a real palm, i used to be able to hold it good enough to dunk on a legit nba height rim) i am 6'4" i would not say i have bigger hands than i should for my size.

the pa 63s were so cheap i wanted one just to have it even if i didnt carry it, but if my hands are just to damn big it will just collect dust if its gonna cut up my hands.

9x18 Hungarian PA-63 9x18

·
Registered
566 Posts
if you know how to shoot it "won't" cut up the web of your hand ;).
what a bunch of horse feathers....or I am just the luckiest guy in the world??.they also said that about my BHP :confused::confused::confused:.
pete

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
the only pistol that has bitten me is a Hi Power, and the hammer spur got me, did it 1 time. I like the PA-63 better than any of my PP/PPKs. I like the safety better, it actually blocks the firing pin from being struck. The only complaints I have about the PAs are the low sights and the hefty trigger spring. The spring is the easiest to fix with a Walther spring or one from Wolff. I have my DA down to 7 and my single is at a tad over 3 pounds. Just like the P64, you do have to 'learn' to shoot these types of guns if you have larger hands and/or not use to a very snappy recoil.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its too pretty. And James Bond used one with a regular finish in many of his movies. Too cool of a gun.:D

Actual reasons I could give not to buy one are all hearsay about reliability problems. As I have not had any hands on experience with them I can't really give you any advice against the PPK.

I already have bunches of guns I can't afford lol . I want it cause I want it, same thing happened when I picked up the DW 10mm in the same store, HAD TO HAVE IT lol.

Now I love Walther PPKs, but if you want some problems with it. . . Hmmm. . . Well it's very heavy for its caliber. You can easily find other .380s or .32s that are much smaller and lighter and have the same, if not greater capacity. Like someone said already, the sights are less than ideal.

Oh here's one, Hitler owned one. You wouldn't want a pistol that Hitler owned would you?

Honestly they are good little guns, and I hope to get one someday. Good luck trying to avoid that, lol ;)
LOL well I hadn't thought about THAT one, but James Bond ( AKA Sean Connery ) kinda cancels it out ;) :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I bought one of the newer Smith and Wesson ones after shooting my buddy's original German made Walther.

It didn't hold a candle, the trigger pull wasn't anywhere near as good and it had horrible feeding issues.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Does the Sig 232 have a Decocker like the PPK?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts