Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a response to another thread about an experience I had in a Cabelas store where a pro shop employee pointed a Glock at me when he was safety checking it.

That got the wheels turning. So I did a few forum searches here and I didnt see a thread about this.

What was your worst gun store experience? What happened? How did you react? What was the end result?

I bet there are some good stories out there!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I was offered $130 for my Sig P220 on a trade. Told him to get f'd. Have not been back to that shop. This was three years ago.

Other than that, my main lgs is good to go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
What an insult.

If you still have it, I'll give you $200 and pay all fees and shipping. ;)

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
One the my local stores a while back had a range that in order to use you must get a perfect score on a written knowledge/safety test. Most of it was pretty basic stuff, but one question was weird. "What do you NOT do with the paper targets?" My answer was "don't walk down a hot range to get them." When the RO (who couldn't have been a week over 21) was grading my paper, he said I got it wrong. He said the answer is don't fold the paper targets, and if you're dumb enough to walk down a hot range, I'll shoot you myself. I argued with him that my answer is technically correct, and what's so bad about folding the targets, but he wanted me to read their range rule book before retaking the entire test again...because of that one poorly written question. That combined with his "shoot you" comment prompted me to remark on his professionalism and my desire to never use their store or range again.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
I would have to say overhearing a salesman explain to a couple how if the wife bought the gun, they didn't have to run NICS on the husband, basically a straw purchase. And we wonder why BGs get their hands on them so easily....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I'm sure most of us have had enough bad experiences to write a thick book.
My favorite is the being ignored , While the shop employees carry on a conversation with guy's .
That are just hanging out !
I usually just stare at the employee until they get uncomfortable and Ask if I need help.
Gander Mtn counter guys generally know very little info on any of the stock. I have heard some really
silly stuff from them .

Reactions: Jp5_Txn

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I've often wondered why gun stores are filled with such douchenozzles. The best I can come up with is the people from AR15.com work there.

Reactions: willworkforammo

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Most of the non-big box gun stores in No. VA are terribly expensive. The big box stores are worse. I've tried to patronize the independents, but I can always get a better price on line. Most counter guys get indignant if you offer a lower price. I just use LGS's for transfers now.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would have to say overhearing a salesman explain to a couple how if the wife bought the gun, they didn't have to run NICS on the husband, basically a straw purchase. And we wonder why BGs get their hands on them so easily....
Well, technically, if the wife is buying a gun for herself - with to without the husband present - they would not need to run a background check on the husband. On the other hand, if was suggesting that the wife buy the gun for the husband because he didn't want to have a background check or didn't think he would pass, that is illegal.

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
Most of the non-big box gun stores in No. VA are terribly expensive. The big box stores are worse. I've tried to patronize the independents, but I can always get a better price on line. Most counter guys get indignant if you offer a lower price. I just use LGS's for transfers now.

Have you ever tried Big Dog Outfitters in King George. A little high but good friendly service. If you haven't, it might be worth a ride.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Not sure if it qualifies as worst - but my dad and I went into our favorite gun store with money to spend and panning to buy several firearms - and the first guy who talked to us was - not sure the exact right word - a bit dismissive I suppose you could say - or at least he didn't take us seriously. I will admit that we where a bit uncertain if we would buy anything and how much we would spend - but if he had been the only employee working that day we would not have made any purchase. He even spent about 10 minutes disassembling a Glock and an M&P to show another customer the differences in grip angle and frame construction, a customer who I think ended up buying nothing. Fortunately, one of the other employees with whom I normal work, stepped up and presented himself as a salesman ready to help us with anything and everything we needed without any expectation that we would make any purchase that day. By this point we had pretty much already made up our minds and were ready to go so we complete the transactions very quickly.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Well, technically, if the wife is buying a gun for herself - with to without the husband present - they would not need to run a background check on the husband. On the other hand, if was suggesting that the wife buy the gun for the husband because he didn't want to have a background check or didn't think he would pass, that is illegal.
Trust me, it was straw. The wife never touched the gun, never looked at the gun, was just standing there taking it all in with arms folded. It was obvious the gun was for her husband and just based on demeanor and behavior he wouldn't have passed a NICS in a hundred years.......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The best interaction I've found with store employees is to just ask them to let you see a rifle or pistol. Look at it yourself and only ask a question if you absolutely need to. If they have a tactical beard then don't ask them any questions. They get a little sad when not allowed to cast their perceived gun knowledge dominance over you.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i went into a gun store in november, ordered a kel tec sub 2000 expecting a long wait. in december, sandy hook happened. sub 2000s were subsequently banned here but w a grace period if they were already ordered. im not sure if it was kel tec not sending it or the store not following up on the order but the grace period is up and i have no gun.

otherwise i went to one small store and the employee behind the counter was bsing w what seemed like a regular. i was never greeted despite walking by him several times. outisde of some suspicious glances from the employee, i may as well have been invisible. i left, wont go back.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
One the my local stores a while back had a range that in order to use you must get a perfect score on a written knowledge/safety test. Most of it was pretty basic stuff, but one question was weird. "What do you NOT do with the paper targets?" My answer was "don't walk down a hot range to get them." When the RO (who couldn't have been a week over 21) was grading my paper, he said I got it wrong. He said the answer is don't fold the paper targets, and if you're dumb enough to walk down a hot range, I'll shoot you myself. I argued with him that my answer is technically correct, and what's so bad about folding the targets, but he wanted me to read their range rule book before retaking the entire test again...because of that one poorly written question. That combined with his "shoot you" comment prompted me to remark on his professionalism and my desire to never use their store or range again.
most ros aren't even 21

Worst 3. Someone telling me to buy something cause the USMC uses it as justification. I spent 7 years in the USMC... Yeah no. Literally walked out laughing.

But the top 2 were different years. At 21 guy had a ftf on a kimber sucked it to his chest to manhandle it flagging the line. I being 21 gpushed the muzzle firwad leading with my palm not my thumb. Cleared his malfunction jhp sliced my palm open as he fired it. Special thanks to my NRA training counselor for not teaching me to correctly grab a gun. (Thumb up grab between thumb and fingers)

Same range ~2 years later guy smoked himself.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
hmmm... I've had a few weird experiences. The XDS saga is the best though.

Buying the XDS when it first came out was kind of funny... I was at the LGS... and was pretty much being ignored by the entire staff while they were "showing" the XDS to a bunch of "interested buyers". After 30 minutes and ZERO of the "interested parties" making the buy I was asked if I needed help; and I said yes "I'll take the XDs." then the first thing out of the guys mouth is "Layaway?" and I said no and pulled out the $750 they wanted for it and made the buy. Total transaction took 2 minutes.

Then the XDS was faulty... I had to send it to SA... I bring the XDS to the LGS... they "ship it to SA" and after a week and a half I called Springfield and they said they sent the gun back to the dealer and it arrived four days prior. I then got a call from the LGS to come in and pick up the gun... I knew something was off...

They got the gun back from SA and thought it was new and sold it 5 minutes after getting it... in return I got a brand new perfect XDs. Someone bought a new "lemon" on accident...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts