Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking abd thinking about it for almost a year, I finally got off my arse and emailed the contact person for the local IDPA chapter (turns out it's about 40 minutes north of me, is St. Francis).

Anyway, he called me last night, and gave me a lot of good info, not the least of which is that I really ought to check out IPSC as well, for the simple reason that I'll get to go out and shoot more often, as there are a lot more IPSC matched held reasonably close to me, instead of just once a month.

Sooooo.....I'm going to my first IPSC match Saturday, and my first IDPA on the following Saturday! I'm just going to watch the first time and see how it all flows, and learn what I can.

I'm so excited I can hardly sit still!

Any advice from you competition veterans? Things I should look for, anything?

This is gonna be FUN!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a suggestion....take your guns and gear just in case. I've known a lot of people who planned on only watching the first time they attended a match only to find just watching and not participating was a lot tougher than they expected.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What Chris said!
We have only one person who has come to "just watch" and didnt end up shooting the match. Heck, my sister went just last week to "watch" and then took 2nd place in beginners! "C" Class.
Go equiped to shoot. If for some reason you are short something, Im sure you will have people tripping over themselves to loan you stuff! That just the way we are! :)
Good Luck and let us know Saturday night how you did :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got email from Bob, the local contact person, and he told me that if I observe the IPSC match, they'll probably let me shoot at the IDPA match the following week.

Now I can add nervous to excited!

OK..got gun...got holster...got ear cans and eyewear...need a couple mag carriers I guess...

I haven't the foggiest idea how much ammo to bring!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bring more than 150 rounds :) After each match, our club then breaks out the "toys." Folks put their competition guns away (or not) and get out other pistols, the ARs, the AKs, the high-powered rifles, and other toys. So bring tons of ammo, and be ready to shoot a bunch of cool guns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My only suggestion, depending on how much shooting experience you have. Don't worry about your score or trying to be fast. I shot my first match less than a year ago. I took my time, hit my targets, focussed on safety and was very deliberate in my movements. Didn't do too to poorly for a first timer. I would also suggest that if they offer a new shooters class you should take it. I didn't get a chance to but was fortunate enough to have the match director spend a couple hours give me pointers at the local range. It has been my experience that gun owners are some of the coolest people around.

JimT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts