Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
That guy has no clue about heating with wood.

The reason you chop wood is because it is too big to handle or too big to fit in the stove. He either has a fishing shanty sized stove or he likes chopping wood for the heck of it. If it fits in that tire, It only needs one chop at most.

I've also got to comment on his choice of wood....dead fir trees....They will blaze up and not produce any real heat. Seasoned green hardwoods (Oak, hard Maples, White or Black Ash, Ironwood, Birch) produce much more heat and do it cleaner. Maybe I am just used to much higher quality woodlands, but that crap we move out of the way and leave to rot. It isn't worth the effort for heating. Maybe a bon-fire, but that is about it.

As for his cutting rack, fine, but wouldn't it be easier to cut the trees to length where you fell them, then load the logs on a sled to bring back? Why all the extra handling?

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's funny. I was thinking the same thing about his yard.

From what I can gather, his property is covered in Fir trees, so he's trying to clear some area to replant hardwoods that do burn better.

About the tire, do you normally light half logs on a cold fire place? No. You need smaller wood to get it started. Maybe that's what he is cutting...

Or maybe it's just a youtube video about a way to chop wood without having bend a stoop so much?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are you kidding me? Now I can understand someone keeping themselves busy but the place I keep my bowsaw... is back in the shop hanging on a wall... I dont think I have touched it in over 5 years. Chaps, muffs, and glasses if Iam working on a pile. If going through brush or or tree takedowns then its time to wear the hardhat. I dont touch nothing under 6inches. Just watchin the videos of how many times he was re-handling that wood was makin me tired.

Take tree down, back flatbed up to wood and either drag on with winch or roll onto lift gate and get a load. Go home and pick the logs/ rounds off with tractor and either recut or start splittin. Get a big enough pile and start stackin..

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
About the tire, do you normally light half logs on a cold fire place? No. You need smaller wood to get it started. Maybe that's what he is cutting...

That didn't really look like good kindling either. The stuff in the tire looked like a junk hardwood. Don't forget, this guy also thought that the brushy top of a dead fir tree was worth processing. That will light pretty easy. No need for finely chopped super short kindling.

The guy thinks he is all that as a woodsman in his 10 acres of heaven, and has a wife willing to follow him around with a DVR. That is what I credit this series of lovely videos to,

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
We have been heating with wood for years, FIL 30 + years. Harvest off our own land and have came up with some creative ways to handle the wood less and less each year. I guess in a SHTF scenario where fuel is scarce, I like some of the above technics. But for now we will stick to using some of our equipment. We try to work up most our wood at the wood lot, well behind the houses.

Our first time out with it a few years ago.. My FIL came up with the idea on his own, using a solid beam off an old splitter and then ordering some parts from Northern. It is truly 'hands free' splitting.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nothing. Nothing wrong with a wife willing to follow you around with a DVR either, but neither makes you a skilled woodsman.
LOL...maybe he is a skilled woodsman that is why the wife is willing to follow him around with a DVR. :twisted:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
We're collecting parts for a wood processor that will advance, saw, split and transport to a pile.

If you don't add gasoline to it, it's not attractive to me. Too many years with a bow saw and splitting maul!

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
We're collecting parts for a wood processor that will advance, saw, split and transport to a pile.

If you don't add gasoline to it, it's not attractive to me. Too many years with a bow saw and splitting maul!
lots of those out there already. It seams to me that there isn't a big enough market for firewood deliveries for many of those machine to pay for themselves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts