Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read thread after thread to determine what would be the best holster for me to buy for my XDm 9mm 4.5. I see many threads outlining what works best for the guys, but I haven't seen much regarding what women are wearing.

I don't wear a belt - I don't even own one, so many of the holsters I see discussed won't work for me. Without going up a size, most of my dress pants aren't going to allow for IWB carry, however, I can't carry at work, so that really isn't an issue. My casual wear pants would. I usually wear shirts that would allow coverage for OWB carry, but as I say, I don't wear belts and the pants I wear don't even have belt loops. I've looked at the belly bands and the Smart Carry, and it seems like they would work, but, I haven't seen any reviews on them from women.

Ladies - without changing how I dress - what holster(s) would you suggest I check into? What do you use and why? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Possibly a belly band holster?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Northern Gal,

I don't think one single carry method will work for a woman all of the time. You will probably need to look at several carry systems that will work around the female wardrobe, (fitted clothes, dresses/skirts, formal, business, etc.).

The "no belt" thing is going to be a kicker in that most holsters worn OWB/IWB will require a belt to secure them.

You may find a paddle holster that will work without a belt. Keep in mind it won't ride as close to your body as a standard belt holster due to the offset from the paddle attachment.

A service firearm is rather large for a woman's smaller frame as well, possibly a J frame or a sub com. may be a better option.

That said, there are a few ways to go here, off body carry brings with it some issues such as the firearm isn't attached to you and could be separated from you when needed, but a purse designed to conceal a pistol would work with the 4.5" XDM.

Belly bands have been mentioned and work under a looser fitting t shirt as would a well designed shoulder rig. There are companies making T shirts with holsters built in to them that might be worth a look.

I have seen ads for an OWB holster that Galco designed to fit a woman's curves, but it would require a belt.

The easiest thing for you would be to pocket carry a small frame gun, think Smith and Wesson J frame or one of the micro 9mm pistols in a single stack format, and off body carry your XDM.

In the end I think that for you to be armed and more importantly comfortably concealed you will need a second smaller gun.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance. It's nice to see a female on a gun forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts