Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my girlfriend is starting to get in to guns as I get more of them for my collection. So we went out looking at guns an she found one that she told me she wants. It was
a walther pk380. This would be her first gun. I have heard that a woman shouldn't have a semi-auto for her first gun. So my qustion is who all thinks that's true or does it matter as long as she has the training to us it right.

Im just looking for some opinion on the idea before buying her a gun

·
Registered
439 Posts
If she likes it, she will shoot it more and be more willing to get the training and practice time in. It's an old and sexist notion that women should start with a revolver. Best case would be to let her try several different models and pick the one that she likes best.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I agree with DHusker. Either let her shoot some of yours or go to a gun shop / range that rents different guns. My wife picked her first gun, a High Point .380, and it wasn't because of price. She shot very good with it, but after a short time she decided it was to heavy for CC'ing. She now has a .380 Bersa. She liked my S&W 38 snub nose for size and she actually shot it pretty good, but the recoil and muzzle blast she didn't like.

·
Registered
480 Posts
As long as she can independently operate the firearm safely and be comfortable on her grip.

My wife started shooting on a Walther P22 and worked her way up to a 9mm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has shot my. 40 sw an loves it an she has shot my uncles pk380 an fell in love with it from then. An she knows how an what to do to be safe an all but just the thought of her on her own with it an maybe haveing to use it gets me.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Take her to a gun show or well stocked gun store and let her handle some pistols.

A good 9mm alloy framed pistol would be a good start.
Sig P228-P229, CZ, etc..
Or since she likes your XD maybe her own XD or Glock.
See what feels better in her hand..

My daughter likes my 9mm P229 and P239.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My fiance shot many of my carry guns and decided she liked my Sig P6 the best. Remember that in a panic situation, she may not be totaly concentrated on her grip and any limp wristing will translate into a malfunction for follow-up shots. My gal can't shoot my PF9 for this reason. Dont over caliber her 1st gun or get something thats so small and light that recoil becomes an issue for her.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
If she likes it, she will shoot it more and be more willing to get the training and practice time in. It's an old and sexist notion that women should start with a revolver. .
AGREED! A "friend" of mine that happens to be a woman started right out the gate with the XDsc .40s&w. She loves it and has become very proficient with it. She loads it, field strips it, and cleans it all by herself.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Common mistake I see when buying women a handgun is people tend to recommend small and light pistol...which IMHO is the worst combination ever unless you conceal carry.

For a first range gun I am a proponent of full size, heavy pistol that dampens recoil and can be controlled better.

Again JMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Common mistake I see when buying women a handgun is people tend to recommend small and light pistol...which IMHO is the worst combination ever unless you conceal carry.

For a first range gun I am a proponent of full size, heavy pistol that dampens recoil and can be controlled better.

Again JMHO.
Yeah I no what you mean. But she has shot one before an done good with it but ain't got a alot of time with it an she loves it. So I would feel good gettin it for for her. I just didn't
no bout it being a semi.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Her first gnu should be something she likes to shoot and can operate safely and well. I hear people suggest snub-nose hammerless revolvers for women...while they make a great carry gun (simple) they are the hardest to learn to shoot well (short site radius, long and heavy trigger).

·
Registered
77 Posts
A semi-auto if fine for a woman if she can easily rack the slide and has a good understanding what makes it all work and/or malfunction, and how to quickly deal with it. My wife is more comfortable with a 38 special, snub nose, with a Crimson Trace laser.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
My wife handled several guns before making up her mind on a Bersa 380 we found at a gun show. My suggestion is to let her get the gun she wants. She will be more likely to like it and shoot it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A semi-auto if fine for a woman if she can easily rack the slide and has a good understanding what makes it all work and/or malfunction, and how to quickly deal with it. My wife is more comfortable with a 38 special, snub nose, with a Crimson Trace laser.
Yeah when she shot it I made her do everything on her own so that I knew she could

My wife handled several guns before making up her mind on a Bersa 380 we found at a gun show. My suggestion is to let her get the gun she wants. She will be more likely to like it and shoot it.

An that's what I did an everytime we go an look at them she always looks then heads to that one so

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm a woman (hence, Northern Gal) and just bought my first gun a month and a half ago - an XDm 9mm 4.5. My husband doesn't shoot, so I load it, handle any malfunctions (however, I haven't had many), field strip it, and clean it myself - no problem. I think it's ridiculous to think that a woman can't handle a semi-automatic right off the bat - it's no more difficult than a revolver. I love my gun! I'm in the market now for a compact - I just have to decide if I want to stay w/ a 9mm or go with a .45.
If your girlfriend wants a semi-auto, let her get it!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Good for you. I took my sister to the range about six months ago, turned out to be a S&W factory shoot. I'm thinking she'd pick out some small caliber gun to start with. No. She picks out a $1500 1911 with CT grip. I showed her proper grip and stance etc, and showed her how it shot made sure she could handle it. No problem. Now she wants it.

Now matter what she picks out, if she's never shot before, make sure she can handle the caliber. My sister is the somewhat rare case where her first time shooting is with a .45 and she handles it no prob. My aunt on the other hand, bought a gun before she ever had shot a gun. She bought a Beretta 96. She can't even handle a 9. Shoot before you buy is the moral of the story.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good for you. I took my sister to the range about six months ago, turned out to be a S&W factory shoot. I'm thinking she'd pick out some small caliber gun to start with. No. She picks out a $1500 1911 with CT grip. I showed her proper grip and stance etc, and showed her how it shot made sure she could handle it. No problem. Now she wants it.

Now matter what she picks out, if she's never shot before, make sure she can handle the caliber. My sister is the somewhat rare case where her first time shooting is with a .45 and she handles it no prob. My aunt on the other hand, bought a gun before she ever had shot a gun. She bought a Beretta 96. She can't even handle a 9. Shoot before you buy is the moral of the story.
I think that goes with guys too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.